New Orleans Pre/post Cruise Hotel Stay

runner2013

Hello all you New Orleans folks. I need some help!

We are flying into NO Feb 20th 2015 for a cruise leaving Feb 21st. I've been looking for hotels on my own (instead of the Hampton Inn which my on line cruise website offers as an extra) to see if there is something cheaper available. We didn't realize Mardi Gras was Feb 7th so it seems everything is either booked or much more in price.

Can anyone recommend a clean, safe, decently priced place to stay for one night before and one night after the cruise. Preferably one that has a shuttle to/from the hotel-pier, or close enough for a taxi ride.

Also, should we stay with places in the convention center area or can we branch out to the French Quarter as well?

Thanks in advance for you help.:confused:

Transportation should not be an issue if you are in the Quarter, CBD, or Garden District. Taxis are fixed rates from those locations to the cruise terminal, $7pp.

So we would be able to get a taxi from the hotel to port then back to the hotel after the trip without a problem?:)

By Feb 20th the majority of the tourist will be gone from Mardi Gras. Ash Wednesday is Feb 18th and the city in a matter of a day goes from non stop party to a day of religious observance. If you aren't looking to actually do anything in New Orleans you could stay out towards the airport or in Metairie and save significant money over any hotel in town.