Long Beach Grand Prix???

xbatt8

Does anyone have experience getting to the Carnival port during the Grand Prix? We leave Saturday, and I'm trying to figure out how much traffic and detours I should plan for.

Our normal mode is the 710 into LB, and then following the road to the Queen Mary/Carnival docks.

Any intel would be appreciated.

Bob

Hey Bob!

Plan on an extra hour or two JIC. As you know the freeways stop for any reason around here.

Listen to 1070am. Traffic is given on the 5's --:05, :10, :15 etc. (You will be able to get it usually around Hesperia.)

Could also load http://cad.chp.ca.gov/Traffic.aspx onto your smart phone

You'll be passing thru Barstow (Nevada border to Cajon Pass), Inland (Cajon Pass to around the 210/57 or the 60/57) and Los Angeles (around the 57 to Long Beach) Communication Centers.

Edited by SadieN

Hi Sharon,

We are actually coming in from Bakersfield, so we will be going I 5 to the 710. We will leave early JIC. If we arrive too early, we can always have a breakfast burrito from the food van and just hang out. I figure we are going to have a few hundred Platinum, Diamond, and FTTF, so there won't be any need to rush trying to get on the ship.

Thanks for the answers. We will just do our best and try to stay away from the festivities.

I'm really surprised that some on our cruise were able to get rooms on the QM. With all the Grand Prix folks in town, I would have thought that every room for miles around would have been booked.

Bob

Bob, I drive the 710 everyday into the port and over the bridges to San Pedro, so I wanted to make sure I saw everything before I sent this...

There is plenty of construction near the 710 and the Port of Long Beach for the new bridge. With that being said and with the Grand Prix ...

The Port exits "should not" be effected by the GP; you'll just get slowing as people maneuver to Downtown Long Beach.

On the 710, as you near the Port, stay in the middle lane until you get past the Pacific Coast Highway exit and the Anaheim St exit.

Move 1 lane to the right after Anaheim St and stay there until you see the last exit for Port/Queen Mary. (There will be 2 freeway signs indicating the exit for the Queen Mary.)

The exit for the Port/Queen Mary is down to one lane and it's a tight construction zone.

Once you exit for the Queen Mary, it's a smooth drive into the Queen Mary.

If you miss your exit, you'll go up and over the Gerald Desmond Bridge (aka Long Beach bridge) and then you have to figure out how to come back (eeek)

I wish I could draw a map.... There's several flashing Cal-Trans signs regarding the bridge construction and they'll be moving in the Cal-Trans signs for the Grand Prix this week.

*** The other alternative is to come down the 5 to the 110 South (Harbor Freeway) and go over the Vincent Thomas Bridge, across Terminal Island, over the Gerald Desmond Bridge and enter the Port/Queen Mary from that angle.***

*** The other alternative is to come down the 5 to the 110 South (Harbor Freeway) and go over the Vincent Thomas Bridge, across Terminal Island, over the Gerald Desmond Bridge and enter the Port/Queen Mary from that angle.***

I wouldn't recommend that one....as if the Magnolia bridge is closed on Saturday, it will require backtracking through the 8th St. Harbor area, and will take a long time. :( I know that bridge is closed on Sunday, but not sure about Saturday.

Bob---

Stick to the route on the 710. Almost all freeway and avoiding the surface streets affected by the race.

We did the other route for our Valentines Day cruise. Too many surface streets to fight thru.

FWIW we haven't heard any reports about pax missing their cruise because of the Grand Prix. Carnival's been in Long Beach for a while and we would have heard something.

Edited by SadieN

I wouldn't recommend that one....as if the Magnolia bridge is closed on Saturday, it will require backtracking through the 8th St. Harbor area, and will take a long time. :( I know that bridge is closed on Sunday, but not sure about Saturday.

What's the Magnolia bridge? Oh I know what you're talking about....

You can actually exit the Gerald Desmond bridge at Pico which will intersect with Harbor Scenic/Queen Mary.

Bob...stick with the 710 freeway.

Edited by elcydcruiser

Thanks again everyone. We are not "anticipating" trouble, but I just needed to feel better about them not closing S. Harbor Scenic Dr., or any other main thoroughfare on our usual route.

And I do feel better about that. :)

Bob

Adding to the Grand Prix, a ramp from 710 to the westbound Desmond Bridge will be closed for 2 years while they build the new bridge. Pico will be the posted detour.

I agree with the comment to stick with the 710 Freeway to S. Harbor Dr. and don't get "fancy" by trying to take side-routes.