FYI - RCCI Duty Free Store, Liquor Consumption Fee

My wife & I are going on the Rhapsody in a few weeks, and I read a variety of stories here about buying liquor in the duty free store, paying the consumption fee, and having it in your room.

There are a variety of stories on these boards, so I called RCCI to be sure..

The service rep gave me the name of the company that operates their duty free stores and on-board shops 'Starboard Cruise Services'.. I went to their website and sent an email.. They sent this response:

"As of the beginning of August there will no longer be the option of consuming in your room. The liquor will be delivered on your last day. However our rule was $9.50 per bottle to consume in your room. We do not have a listing of our assortment to give out. Thank you."

Looks like we're back to bringing our own on board..

Well. Hmph. I do not like this at all. I am sailing on August 14, and I have my first ever suite, and it has a bar, and I have every intention of stocking it. Hell, I've already invited the entire Roll Call up for drinks. Hmph.

Well. Hmph. I do not like this at all. I am sailing on August 14, and I have my first ever suite, and it has a bar, and I have every intention of stocking it. Hell, I've already invited the entire Roll Call up for drinks. Hmph.

HMMMMMMMMMMM................Not a good sign. We are sailing on August 29th and, as in the past, if we need more of whatever in our room, we have been able to pick it up at the ships "retail" store. Will that start a BYOB style party in our cabins? Heck, we have had our fair share of room parties, and never had a problem of procuring more if needed. We need to find out if this really includes the "sweet people:D "

Rick

Could you folks that sail in August please post back here and let us know how things went? My question is this - does that just mean that they stopped the buy & consume on board policy, OR does it mean that they're cracking down on smuggling?

We're sailing in September, and really would like to know what's going on. In another thread, someone else confirmed what I'm saying and said "no alcohol in stateroom at all"..

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4420219#post4420219

Archived