Manual Wheelchair Rental

Carnival lists these 2 companies on their websites. If you do rent a wheelchair, I recommend ensuring that you have a towel or large cloth for the seat (especially in the caribbean - shorts/dresses and wheelchair seats often don't mix well in the heat) and a small lumbar pillow to make sitting more comfortable.

Better than renting though, depending on cost, you may want to purchase a chair if you're going to need it at the airport, or other travel or for multiple trips. 1-800 wheelchair (dot com) offers some value chairs. The benefit to having your own is that you can customize it, get used to it, and have it always with you.

CareVacations - Phone: 1.877.478.7827

Special Needs at Sea 1.800.513.4515

I agree on taking a wheelchair with you instead. This way you will get a chair that is correct for the person (proper fit has a lot to do with both comfort and function of a manual wheelchair), and you have it to use at the airport both going to and coming home from your cruise as well. You can purchase an inexpensive light weight wheelchair for close to what a rental will cost you, and then you don't have to worry about renting for your next trip as well.

A quick note, if I may. If you are planning on purchasing a wheelchair, make it a wheelchair and not a Transport Chair. A transport chair is less money but it must be pushed and it can have difficulty with carpet and rough surfaces.

thanks to all for the replies......we actually have thought about taking one with us but are thinking that we may rather rent one instead as we are going to be renting a car in South FL and will make it tight in the car. My MIL that will be using the chair does not require it at all times but just can't walk too long of a distance without needing to stop and rest. On past cruises with her we have taken one but are thinking this time it may be more convenient to rent have it delivered and then picked up after.

Thanks again.....I will reach out to those two companies......I have seen their websites but need to call to confirm.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using a rollator walker with a seat for several years and renting a scooter for our cruises. I finally purchased my own wheelchair and took it on last winters cruise and did not rent a scooter. I will never do that again. There are far too many small door stoops and metal dividers where pocket doors are closed and opened. It was very hard getting around. Scooters go right over these and I feel much more independent.