the 2014 summer ferry schedule....

SailBadtheSinner

is posted at: http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202014.pdf

I did not see any significant changes when compared to the 2013 summer schedule except for the ferries (Blue Route) added for Wednesday night.

IDK if it is a mis-print but the start date is different than the end date of the winter schedule.

SBtS

is posted at: http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202014.pdf

I did not see any significant changes when compared to the 2013 summer schedule except for the ferries (Blue Route) added for Wednesday night.

IDK if it is a mis-print but the start date is different than the end date of the winter schedule.

SBtS

If you buy a 2 day pass, does it start the day you buy it, or the day you first use it? How crowded are those first ferries of the day? Should you line up well in advance not to get shut out?

If you buy a 2 day pass, does it start the day you buy it, or the day you first use it? How crowded are those first ferries of the day? Should you line up well in advance not to get shut out?

The multi-day Transportation Passes start when you first use them.

The first ferry to St George will be crowded because of the infrequency of the runs; the ferry to Hamilton less so. Also, how many cruise ships are there during your visit has direct impact on the crowds, but yes, getting there early is always good.

The Blue and Orange Route ferries hold up to 400 passengers per vessel.

SBtS

The first ferry to St George will be crowded because of the infrequency of the runs; the ferry to Hamilton less so. Also, how many cruise ships are there during your visit has direct impact on the crowds, but yes, getting there early is always good.

SBtS

Great to know, thanks! We'll buy the 2 day pass then our first day and then be ready early to take the Ferry the next morning to St. Georges. Breakway and Summit will both be there at that time, so I expect with 6500+ passengers that it would be pretty crowded. Next one doesn't leave until 11:30 and would kill a lot of our plans if we missed the 9:30.

Thanks SBtS,

Noticed the Orange ferry route (Dockyard to St. George) has an icon that says no scooters, do you think that would include mobility powered scooters for the disabled, or just rental scooters/mopeds ? I read somewhere else that a change to the dock in St. George may not be able to allow the scooters to roll on/off the ferry. I sure hope to be able to visit St. George, but walking using a cane may prove difficult. :(

Thanks.

Thanks SBtS,

Noticed the Orange ferry route (Dockyard to St. George) has an icon that says no scooters, do you think that would include mobility powered scooters for the disabled, or just rental scooters/mopeds ? I read somewhere else that a change to the dock in St. George may not be able to allow the scooters to roll on/off the ferry. I sure hope to be able to visit St. George, but walking using a cane may prove difficult. :(

Thanks.

I may have been the person who wrote about the ferry situation to St. George's.

The symbol on the schedule refers to motorbikes, but because they're using a chartered ferry for that route which loads in a completely different way from the ferries formerly used between Dockyard and St. George's (as well as the ferries still in use between Hamilton and Dockyard), there's no way to roll a motorbike, or a mobility scooter, on and off the Dockyard - St. George's ferry. Whether the deckhands would be willing or able to lift your mobility scooter onto the ferry is unclear. I didn't see any mobility scooters on this ferry last year...but I can't say whether or not anyone was able to get theirs lifted on and off at any other time, as I only took one trip in each direction on the ferry.

I may have been the person who wrote about the ferry situation to St. George's.

The symbol on the schedule refers to motorbikes, but because they're using a chartered ferry for that route which loads in a completely different way from the ferries formerly used between Dockyard and St. George's (as well as the ferries still in use between Hamilton and Dockyard), there's no way to roll a motorbike, or a mobility scooter, on and off the Dockyard - St. George's ferry. Whether the deckhands would be willing or able to lift your mobility scooter onto the ferry is unclear. I didn't see any mobility scooters on this ferry last year...but I can't say whether or not anyone was able to get theirs lifted on and off at any other time, as I only took one trip in each direction on the ferry.

Hi njhorseman,

Yes, I believe you were the one over on the Disabled forum. At the time only the winter schedule was online, and ofcourse there is no Orange ferry service during the winter. I can dis-assemble the scooter into 4 pieces, each one weighing under 40 lbs., but will check with the dockhands at Dockyard prior to boarding. If the new ferry dock at St. George doesn't have a ramp, if there are not alot of stairs up to the street, I can dis-assemble, carry off each piece and then re-assemple in St. George. A bit of a hassle, but would not want to miss the opportunity to explore this World Heritage Site.

Thanks again for your response.

Hi njhorseman,

Yes, I believe you were the one over on the Disabled forum. At the time only the winter schedule was online, and ofcourse there is no Orange ferry service during the winter. I can dis-assemble the scooter into 4 pieces, each one weighing under 40 lbs., but will check with the dockhands at Dockyard prior to boarding. If the new ferry dock at St. George doesn't have a ramp, if there are not alot of stairs up to the street, I can dis-assemble, carry off each piece and then re-assemple in St. George. A bit of a hassle, but would not want to miss the opportunity to explore this World Heritage Site.

Thanks again for your response.

Perhaps it wasn't me...because I don't post on the Disabled forum. I posted the information on this forum a couple of days ago.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from our first Bermuda cruise a couple of weeks ago and was very pleased that I could use my mobility scooter on the Orange ferry to/from St. George from the Dockyard. You enter the ferry over a small ramp, and the scooter did bottom out at the hinge point at the top, but was easly lifted over that and there was plenty of room to park it inside next to some tables, including a handy recepticle outlet for a quick charge during the trip. Motor Bike Scooters were not allowed however. The Hamilton ferry's ramps were wider with no obstructions, so piece of cake.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, just thought I would post this info for others using mobility scooters in Bermuda this season.

SBtS

So how early do you think one needs to be at the ferry for the 9:30 St. George ferry?

So how early do you think one needs to be at the ferry for the 9:30 St. George ferry?

I'd say it depends on whether there are one or two ships in port that day and whether it's the first full day the ships have been in port. Two ships and first day (such as Thursday with the Breakaway and Summit in port) equals a big crowd and the line forming early. I'd be on line no later than 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure, and more likely 45 minutes to an hour. If your ship is the only one in port probably 20-30 minutes ahead is OK.

I'd say it depends on whether there are one or two ships in port that day and whether it's the first full day the ships have been in port. Two ships and first day (such as Thursday with the Breakaway and Summit in port) equals a big crowd and the line forming early. I'd be on line no later than 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure, and more likely 45 minutes to an hour. If your ship is the only one in port probably 20-30 minutes ahead is OK.

I will be sailing on the Dawn in October, docking in Bermuda on a Sunday at 11:00 a.m.. We are considering going to Hamilton on the ferry. I understand there is no ferry to St. George on Sunday. Do you think it possible with the 11:00 a.m. docking to get off the ship and make the 11:30 ferry to Hamilton recognizing we will have to buy token/pass for the ferry/bus, or more likely we would end up having to wait for the next sailing at 1:30 p.m.. The other alternative rather than to Hamilton on the Sunday as there probably will not be too many stores open, is that we would just take the bus and go to the beach most likely Horseshoe Bay.

I will be sailing on the Dawn in October, docking in Bermuda on a Sunday at 11:00 a.m.. We are considering going to Hamilton on the ferry. I understand there is no ferry to St. George on Sunday. Do you think it possible with the 11:00 a.m. docking to get off the ship and make the 11:30 ferry to Hamilton recognizing we will have to buy token/pass for the ferry/bus, or more likely we would end up having to wait for the next sailing at 1:30 p.m.. The other alternative rather than to Hamilton on the Sunday as there probably will not be too many stores open, is that we would just take the bus and go to the beach most likely Horseshoe Bay.

-What date are you sailing to Bermuda ?, keep in mind late October the schedule change for the public transportation.

-Usually 30 minutes is pretty much the time it takes to clear the ship, you would have to be in line and leave the ship very fast...but the ships are often a little early in port...

-Yes in Hamilton most shops will be closed on Sunday, but almost everything is open at the Dockyard.

- If you choose to go to Horseshoe Bay Beach, then I would suggest a shuttle rather than the bus...a little more expensive but faster and will go down the hill to drop you off and pick you up :D

Have fun !

There's virtually no chance you'll make the 11:30 ferry unless the ship arrives early.

I'd go to Horseshoe Bay rather than Hamilton regardless on Sunday.

There's virtually no chance you'll make the 11:30 ferry unless the ship arrives early.

I'd go to Horseshoe Bay rather than Hamilton regardless on Sunday.

njhorsemen, Thank you for your reply and suggestion We will be in sailing from Boston October 10th, so we will be there before the transportation schedule changes. I presume the shuttle you are referring to is the small mini vans that have been mentioned on this board before costing previously $7.00 , which may be higher now since the taxi fares have just gone up. Thanks.

njhorsemen, Thank you for your reply and suggestion We will be in sailing from Boston October 10th, so we will be there before the transportation schedule changes. I presume the shuttle you are referring to is the small mini vans that have been mentioned on this board before costing previously $7.00 , which may be higher now since the taxi fares have just gone up. Thanks.

It was seas030 who suggested the shuttle. Yes, they are taxis offering group rides as well as vans going to the beach. I don't know exactly what they're charging this year.

Personally I have no problem with taking the bus...particularly if you can get one of the express buses marked "Special".