Mini Review/Narrative of our Glory Spring Break Cruise

t1adams

This is our review of the Glory cruise out of Miami. Seven day cruise to Western Carribean. Ports of call: day 1, at sea. Day 2, Cayman Islands. Day 3, Cozumel. Day 4, Belize. Day 5, Roatan. Day 6, at sea. Day 7, home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is our review of the Glory cruise out of Miami. Seven day cruise to Western Carribean. Ports of call: day 1, at sea. Day 2, Cayman Islands. Day 3, Cozumel. Day 4, Belize. Day 5, Roatan. Day 6, at sea. Day 7, home.

OK, and the review is where?

Hi T,

We are doing this itinerary out of Tampa in May so I am looking foward to your review.

Had surgery in Feb, so vacation was delayed. Deactivated my social site due to problems. Did you come across any cruisers from the Valor last year?

Hope you had a great (relaxing)cruise!!

Colleen

This will be quick (for those who prefer a quick overview opinion). I'll call this "THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY"

GOOD

The Deli--(fave was the moz., roasted red pepper and arugula sandwich--yum!!). Totally come up to speed on contemporary sandwiches (or lack of better wording) and what people enjoy eating.

Guys Burgers--of course! Need I say more??

Burrito Bar--already forgotten the name. Only ate there once for breakfast but it was good!

Less Smoking areas since last year (??). Definitely less smokers for sure anyway. Yay for more oxygen!!

Cleanliness of inside of ship! Constant cleaning actually. Good thing though.

2.0 upgrade to the buffet eating area looks much more inviting and cozy. (Loved the little sails behind all the booths--cute touch)

MUCH better food than last year in main dining room except second formal night (save those deets for the "bad"). Appetizers and soups are their best attributes. Oh, and their simple pies are pretty good too!

Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel--oh my!!! Closest thing to the Garden of Eden I've experienced in quite some time. Maybe I just need to get out more, lol. But it was fabulous!! Highlight of the trip.

Roatan--AMAZING! What we were given time to see anyway (see "bad" for more deets)

The Cruise Director-- yes, I said it...the cruise director! Funny, I've never really paid much attention to whoever that was until this cruise. He was a fill in while all the regs were at meeting this week. EMERSON I think is his name. First black CD and the best I have seen and heard yet!!! He's hilarious!!! He's going to be perm. After 365 days sailing. Keep your eyes peeled for this one. He's a keeper. ;). (Did I mention he could sing and do hilarious comedy too??)

The Commedian - Macio. Packed the house so much they had to move the last show to the big theater and he did an hour performance for the adults on the last day. Said it was the most packed their comedy club has ever had. Line to get in backed up before the coffee bar.

The Security --- I was impressed as they were "on it" with an incident involving a stranger (old man) giving his business card to my teenage dd and 11ye old son and wanted them to video tape their karaoke and bring the tape to his room later. All turned up okay but pretty sketchy at the time. Security was right on it and followed up 100%!!!! GREAT staff!

THE BAD---

The amount of drunks. Now before you all say "what do you expect it was spring break," do know i have been cruising during spring break for four years now. These drunks were NOT your college age drunks. A handful were 16 (my daughter met them in the teen club). Most were 30 something's so drunk they were falling on the floor. One was my mom'd age at least (70's). This HAS to be a reflection of the all you can drink plan. But it was an embarrassment to my children as they (the drunks) were our age. And before anyone says "quit judging" do know I do drink alcohol. But I know my limits. Oh yeah I had a buzz probably every day but this went WAAAY beyond a buzz, people. They couldn't stand up. They were asking how to get back to their rooms. One dad---I kid you not, asked his about 7yr old daughter to take him back to his room and put him to bed. He was flopping all around. My 15yr old dd told me this story herself. Now do you all see what I'm talking about? Another dude in the sports bar broke a really nice glass and asked for another drink and thank God the bartender cut him off! Again, these are NOT school kids.

Our Room (floor to ceiling) Window--already have a topic thread on this one.

Wait Staff--really seemed overworked and just annoyed. The head waiter was rude and I didn't care for him. I sincerely scenced some reverse discrimination. I won't go into all the details but he was soooo friendly to the two separate minority tables and we tried all we could to make him like us but it just wasn't happening. Told me he was going to charge a corking fee for my one glass of wine I brought in. Never said a word to them (we were close enough I could hear) after he realized I wasn't a novice cruiser he complied to not charging.

Belize---the cave tubing was okay but the trek to get there was two hours each way!!! The city is not just poor, but it was run down as if they really didn't care. Jamaica is poor but seemed more neat for what they had. St. Lucia is also poor in most areas but they too seem to take pride in their island and keep it neat. I also don't enjoy picking up my boxed lunch next to an armed rifle man. Hey I get it...they have some major crime. But the whole thing just gave me the heebie Jeebies and left me feeling so sad for the innocent children there. Oh and the time there was sooooo long! You're worn out after that one excursion with all the traveling.

Roatan---the port time was EXTREMELY too short! We docked around 9:00 and ha to be back on board by 2:30 at the LATEST! We didn't even get to leave the Carnival compound to explore. Granted we didn't get off until 10:00 thinking we'd have a long day. Only had four whole hours. I sooo want to go back here. From just what we could see this place is beautiful and reminds me from a distance (landscape) of St. Kitts. They need to make this a full day port and cut out Belize altogether!

No Mexican Late Night Buffet---was it just this year they cut it out altogether? Seemed like they had it last year but I could be wrong.

Second "Formal Night"---seems like they make this a horrible dinner on purpose! It's worse than a regular night's dinner. They should be ashamed to call it "formal night."

THE UGLY----The look on our kids faces when it was all over. Hahaha

For real, the Commedian as great as he was could tone down sex and F word. I know it's "adult only" and every once in a while a curse word here or there makes it funny but four times in one sentence....really? And to park his crotch in front of a girl and ask her how she likes his "D." Really?? Oh, and our window.

Weather was perfecto!!!!

Hope you all enjoyed this. Please don't hate. Just my observations and feelings. Overall it was a great trip!!!

This will be quick (for those who prefer a quick overview opinion). I'll call this "THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY"

GOOD

The Deli--(fave was the moz., roasted red pepper and arugula sandwich--yum!!). Totally come up to speed on contemporary sandwiches (or lack of better wording) and what people enjoy eating.

Guys Burgers--of course! Need I say more??

Burrito Bar--already forgotten the name. Only ate there once for breakfast but it was good!

Less Smoking areas since last year (??). Definitely less smokers for sure anyway. Yay for more oxygen!!

Cleanliness of inside of ship! Constant cleaning actually. Good thing though.

2.0 upgrade to the buffet eating area looks much more inviting and cozy. (Loved the little sails behind all the booths--cute touch)

MUCH better food than last year in main dining room except second formal night (save those deets for the "bad"). Appetizers and soups are their best attributes. Oh, and their simple pies are pretty good too!

Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel--oh my!!! Closest thing to the Garden of Eden I've experienced in quite some time. Maybe I just need to get out more, lol. But it was fabulous!! Highlight of the trip.

Roatan--AMAZING! What we were given time to see anyway (see "bad" for more deets)

The Cruise Director-- yes, I said it...the cruise director! Funny, I've never really paid much attention to whoever that was until this cruise. He was a fill in while all the regs were at meeting this week. EMERSON I think is his name. First black CD and the best I have seen and heard yet!!! He's hilarious!!! He's going to be perm. After 365 days sailing. Keep your eyes peeled for this one. He's a keeper. ;). (Did I mention he could sing and do hilarious comedy too??)

The Commedian - Macio. Packed the house so much they had to move the last show to the big theater and he did an hour performance for the adults on the last day. Said it was the most packed their comedy club has ever had. Line to get in backed up before the coffee bar.

The Security --- I was impressed as they were "on it" with an incident involving a stranger (old man) giving his business card to my teenage dd and 11ye old son and wanted them to video tape their karaoke and bring the tape to his room later. All turned up okay but pretty sketchy at the time. Security was right on it and followed up 100%!!!! GREAT staff!

THE BAD---

The amount of drunks. Now before you all say "what do you expect it was spring break," do know i have been cruising during spring break for four years now. These drunks were NOT your college age drunks. A handful were 16 (my daughter met them in the teen club). Most were 30 something's so drunk they were falling on the floor. One was my mom'd age at least (70's). This HAS to be a reflection of the all you can drink plan. But it was an embarrassment to my children as they (the drunks) were our age. And before anyone says "quit judging" do know I do drink alcohol. But I know my limits. Oh yeah I had a buzz probably every day but this went WAAAY beyond a buzz, people. They couldn't stand up. They were asking how to get back to their rooms. One dad---I kid you not, asked his about 7yr old daughter to take him back to his room and put him to bed. He was flopping all around. My 15yr old dd told me this story herself. Now do you all see what I'm talking about? Another dude in the sports bar broke a really nice glass and asked for another drink and thank God the bartender cut him off! Again, these are NOT school kids.

Our Room (floor to ceiling) Window--already have a topic thread on this one.

Wait Staff--really seemed overworked and just annoyed. The head waiter was rude and I didn't care for him. I sincerely scenced some reverse discrimination. I won't go into all the details but he was soooo friendly to the two separate minority tables and we tried all we could to make him like us but it just wasn't happening. Told me he was going to charge a corking fee for my one glass of wine I brought in. Never said a word to them (we were close enough I could hear) after he realized I wasn't a novice cruiser he complied to not charging.

Belize---the cave tubing was okay but the trek to get there was two hours each way!!! The city is not just poor, but it was run down as if they really didn't care. Jamaica is poor but seemed more neat for what they had. St. Lucia is also poor in most areas but they too seem to take pride in their island and keep it neat. I also don't enjoy picking up my boxed lunch next to an armed rifle man. Hey I get it...they have some major crime. But the whole thing just gave me the heebie Jeebies and left me feeling so sad for the innocent children there. Oh and the time there was sooooo long! You're worn out after that one excursion with all the traveling.

Roatan---the port time was EXTREMELY too short! We docked around 9:00 and ha to be back on board by 2:30 at the LATEST! We didn't even get to leave the Carnival compound to explore. Granted we didn't get off until 10:00 thinking we'd have a long day. Only had four whole hours. I sooo want to go back here. From just what we could see this place is beautiful and reminds me from a distance (landscape) of St. Kitts. They need to make this a full day port and cut out Belize altogether!

No Mexican Late Night Buffet---was it just this year they cut it out altogether? Seemed like they had it last year but I could be wrong.

Second "Formal Night"---seems like they make this a horrible dinner on purpose! It's worse than a regular night's dinner. They should be ashamed to call it "formal night."

THE UGLY----The look on our kids faces when it was all over. Hahaha

For real, the Commedian as great as he was could tone down sex and F word. I know it's "adult only" and every once in a while a curse word here or there makes it funny but four times in one sentence....really? And to park his crotch in front of a girl and ask her how she likes his "D." Really?? Oh, and our window.

Weather was perfecto!!!!

Hope you all enjoyed this. Please don't hate. Just my observations and feelings. Overall it was a great trip!!!

Thanks for the review. It seems well rounded. I'm sailing on Carnival for the first time, so it should be interesting. I'm doing the Eastern in 40 or so days.

ImageUploadedByForums1396875187.540522.jpg.60d646385ca37dff1c0a6d7f7f4e5f65.jpgBelize (these are the only pretty pics I could find). I didn't take pics of Belize City because I thought it would be rude if my driver saw me. The tender ride just to get to the dock was 30 minutes.

ImageUploadedByForums1396875095.345123.jpg.f833d059512837823db90ccc07ffc855.jpg

So fun! we were on the Glory on March 23-30. Everson Bevelle I believe is the CD name. He was really funny. I really enjoyed him. He did a great job.

I did this itinerary on the dream and we didn't get into roaatan. but oh well...just another reason to do that route another time right?

For real, the Commedian as great as he was could tone down sex and F word. I know it's "adult only" and every once in a while a curse word here or there makes it funny but four times in one sentence....really? And to park his crotch in front of a girl and ask her how she likes his "D." Really??

I couldn't agree more about the commediens. I like stand-up comedy a lot, but have never seen an "adults-only" show on Carnival that wasn't like this. I guess they feel it's expected and therefore required? Most patrons, I believe, would actually prefer it without all the vulgarity. (Oh, and as far as having the same performers also do a "family-friend" version? They mostly end up being just flat out not funny.)

• 2 weeks later...
Could you be more specific on the new menu? What was bad about the 2nd formal night?

For starters, the steak is really a carved piece of roast. It's awful. The selections are far from "elegant." I think the regular menu is better than the second elegant night. That's why the steakhouse is always at its highest capacity on this night. We were supposed to eat at the steakhouse but my friend's dh thought the selection on the menu looked okay (I think he didn't want to spend the money actually :cool::rolleyes:). We made reservations for that night for all 9 of us and my mom was up there waiting for us and her dh is like "we're not going." So I had to go get my mom and she was so embarrased that she didn't even come to dinner. Horrible night. So I think this made the menu seem even worse to me. But I've never been one to have liked the second formal night's menu....anytime I've cruised Carnival.

I couldn't agree more about the commediens. I like stand-up comedy a lot, but have never seen an "adults-only" show on Carnival that wasn't like this. I guess they feel it's expected and therefore required? Most patrons, I believe, would actually prefer it without all the vulgarity. (Oh, and as far as having the same performers also do a "family-friend" version? They mostly end up being just flat out not funny.)

I think the problem might be they think they have to do two extremes. Why can't they do a "family friendly," an "adult only rated R" and then the one like they did on this cruise which really should be called "adult only rated X". I've been to adult only comedy on other Carnival cruises and no one has been as blatant as this guy. He's like Howard Stern but curses even more. :rolleyes: I used to go to comedy clubs all the time a few years ago. This really goes over and beyond in the crude and cursing category.

Just curious, was the weather good during your cruise? We were on Carnival Liberty from 4/5 - 4/12 and we experienced the roughest seas ever on a cruise and missed Grand Cayman. The water was also very rough in Cozumel (we went to Nachi Cocum for the day, which is just south of Mr. Sanchos) and also in Roatan at West Bay Beach. We were told by locals that it was due to high winds from the west. Also, I'm pretty sure we passed Glory on the last night of your cruise, it was around 10:30PM. We aren't sure if it was Glory that we passed but with the zoom lens on the camera we could clearly make out the "Whale tail" funnel and knew it was a Carnival ship and knew that Glory was returning from the Western Caribbean that night since we were considering the same cruise you were on. Due to a better airfare price, we opted for the Liberty cruise a week later. We got pictures but they didn't come out that clear. If you saw another Carnival ship around that time, that was us on Liberty. :) We were on Glory for an Eastern Caribbean cruise in May 2010, so it was great seeing her again, if that was actually Glory that we passed.

Sorry you had to deal with a lot of drunks. We didn't notice that on our cruise and most people seemed know their limits, although we did notice the drinks served the day we missed Grand Cayman were a lot stronger than normal. I got a real buzz after two of the rum drinks from the "Red Frog" and decided that was it for a while and drank a lot of water - I didn't want to be "one of those". :) We did notice two "falling down" drunks at Nachi Cocum in Cozumel, but they weren't bothering anyone else and they were pretty entertaining to watch. There were four other ships that day, so I don't know if they were on Liberty or not.