limes in drinks

axoxo

I just recently sailed on the carnival victory for a five day cruise and while I did not actually order any drinks that called for limes, the people I cruised with did, several times and never received limes. All drinks were served with lemons even when limes were requested. The people I cruised with stated that the bartenders said limes were too expensive. Not sure how true this is but has anyone else encountered this?

I'm not too picky but I definitely prefer lime slices in certain drinks. Especially mojitos. Which were served with lemons ...?

I have seen a couple of different reasons that blame the weather and the drug cartels. A quick google search will give the latest news. It is a real problem and several people have reported the same experience. A lemon is no replacement in my book and I hope everything gets back to normal soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yes, there was an article last week in the San Antonio paper about this very issue. I guess limes that used to be 10/$1, now are going for between 25 cents and a dollar a piece. Yes, as the above poster stated, it is due to the weather and cartels. The restaurants here will now give you a lime if you ask for it, but not automatically like they used to.

Limes in our local markets are more expensive than lemons.

We're some of the very few around that have our own lime trees. Almost every house in Southern California has a lemon tree. If I was going on a cruise in the near future I'd bring my own limes.:p

(We can bring them on, but not off the ship.)

Latin Post Article

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/9738/20140329/mexicos-green-gold-growers-guard-limes-prices-rise.htm

Edited by SadieN

If I ordered a Mojito and it was served with lemons I would return it. That's ridiculous. But I wouldn't be bothered if they raised the price of that drink because of the lime.

As far as other drinks are concerned they should ask and give you what you ask for. I drink rum and coke and can take or leave the lime. I've been served both ways and never complain. But if I ask for a lime they should tell me before substituting.

On our cruise a few weeks ago I barely got limes in my rum and cokes. The day we were in grand cayman the restaurant didn't have ANY limes and said there is a lime shortage! :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

On our cruise a few weeks ago I barely got limes in my rum and cokes. The day we were in grand cayman the restaurant didn't have ANY limes and said there is a lime shortage! :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Well, there is a shortage. That's why the prices have skyrocketed.

And then there's the decision for a business to pay the outrageous prices to keep the product in stock. If they are eating the cost, they may be frugal in putting them in the drink, or just forgo it altogether.

Maybe the truth about Corona will finally come out, that the only original purpose of the lime was to keep flies off the rim of the bottle, and never meant to make beer a lime flavor.

I just recently sailed on the carnival victory for a five day cruise and while I did not actually order any drinks that called for limes, the people I cruised with did, several times and never received limes. All drinks were served with lemons even when limes were requested. The people I cruised with stated that the bartenders said limes were too expensive. Not sure how true this is but has anyone else encountered this?

I'm not too picky but I definitely prefer lime slices in certain drinks. Especially mojitos. Which were served with lemons ...?

I heard on the news a couple weeks ago that a case of limes had gone from $14 a case to about $100 a case due to the weather in Mexico. I can't say that I blame Carnival.

I recently heard about the lime shortage.......and this confirmed what I've been experiencing at the grocery store for awhile now. The prices are certainly not what they used to be. :/

Edited by double lime

I'm a produce department manager at a grocery store and yes, there is a shortage of limes. The price has gone from .50 retail to almost $1 each in the past few weeks.

I can imagine this would be an unnecessary splurge of funds for the bar department.

I'm a produce department manager at a grocery store and yes, there is a shortage of limes. The price has gone from .50 retail to almost $1 each in the past few weeks.

I can imagine this would be an unnecessary splurge of funds for the bar department.

Unnecessary? Now, not always, but sometimes a lime makes the drink. For instance, even just Diet Coke is gross to me, but add a lime and I can drink it. It can change the entire flavor of a rum and coke. I can imagine someone that drinks rum and coke with a lime and doesn't like it without having a big problem when they get onboard.

Listen I don't mean to be petty but we often. Have a shortage of very important medications and I am forced to prescribe substitutes so I think people can survive one season of limes not being readily available.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Listen I don't mean to be petty but we often. Have a shortage of very important medications and I am forced to prescribe substitutes so I think people can survive one season of limes not being readily available.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

They are readily available. They are just expensive. They could easily offer limes at an additional cost. Say 50 cents/slice or something. If I preferred my drink that way I'd pay up without a problem.

Limes in our local markets are more expensive than lemons.

We're some of the very few around that have our own lime trees. Almost every house in Southern California has a lemon tree. If I was going on a cruise in the near future I'd bring my own limes.:p

(We can bring them on, but not off the ship.)

Latin Post Article

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/9738/20140329/mexicos-green-gold-growers-guard-limes-prices-rise.htm

Last year I tried to bring 3 limes in my carry on cruising on Carnival Freedom out of f t Lauderdale - they were confiscated.

My local supermarket posted there was a bad freeze in Mexico as the reason for the lime shortage. I like limes and lemons equally, I don't get why some on here are so dramatic about this. Seriously, you are going to send a drink back because it has a lemon instead of a lime? geez

Where I work also told us about the lime shortage and prices are something like 4 or 5 times normal prices per case

Its a good thing for everyone :) 95% of that fruit in your drinks is not washed and has pesticides all over it :)

Where I work also told us about the lime shortage and prices are something like 4 or 5 times normal prices per case

Its a good thing for everyone :) 95% of that fruit in your drinks is not washed and has pesticides all over it :)

I won't even allow a sliced lemon to be put in my water. I'll send it back if I get one.

I think I wanted to throw up when I saw some expose that the filth on the outside of the fruit just carries through the fruit on the knife used to slice that fruit, and ends up in that wedge. And ends up in your drink.

No thanks!

I spent 10 years working on cruise ships. One word of advise. If you like fruit in your drinks... Bring them yourself! Easy easy way to get the norovirus. Not saying that it's the crew who have it but if they caught it and haven't gotten sick yet, they will pass it along to you. Most servers use their hands to pick up the fruit to put it in your drink. Just a tip :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I won't even allow a sliced lemon to be put in my water. I'll send it back if I get one.

I think I wanted to throw up when I saw some expose that the filth on the outside of the fruit just carries through the fruit on the knife used to slice that fruit, and ends up in that wedge. And ends up in your drink.

No thanks!

Not even just that .Bartenders /servers touch money then your fruit. Its impossible to wash your hands enough or with every transaction. And I am very clean and wash my hands constantly