Hilton Molino Stucky + Alilaguna

CathyCruises

I amazingly scored the Hilton Molino Stucky for $135 (dollars) on Hotwire for our stay. I am really looking forward to it as I have read great things. We have stayed in various parts of Venice before so I'm not worried about missing anything and will enjoy a different experience.

We will be arriving by rental car and I was planning on returning it to Piazzale Roma, but it will be a Sunday and now I am reading that there is an additional fee for leaving it when the office is not manned. We can drop it at the airport with no charge. But when I check the Alilaguna lines, it looks like the Hilton is the last stop on a long voyage from the airport. Am I missing something? I have been all around the island before and it is a slow and painstaking journey that I have no wish to repeat.

If there's something I haven't considered, please let me know. Now I am thinking a water taxi (preferably shared) for the outbound leg, and then Alilaguna back to the airport, which is the short leg.

Cathy, You are missing nothing :). As a very experienced traveler we think you have framed the situation perfectly. I just took a look and noticed that both Europcar and Hertz do show Sunday hours (somewhat limited) at their Piazzale Roma location. We assume you are aware that both Autoeurope and Kemwel (sister companies) will often be able to save you money (on 3 day or longer rentals) with either of these major companies.

Hank

Cathy, You are missing nothing :). As a very experienced traveler we think you have framed the situation perfectly. I just took a look and noticed that both Europcar and Hertz do show Sunday hours (somewhat limited) at their Piazzale Roma location. We assume you are aware that both Autoeurope and Kemwel (sister companies) will often be able to save you money (on 3 day or longer rentals) with either of these major companies.

Hank

Yes, Hank we did book with Kemwel and got a great deal. I will check at Civitavecchia to see about drop off, although our confirmation says airport. Really won't make a ton of difference if we drop at airport vs PR as far as further transport is concerned. DH really wants to take a water taxi, and if we go to the airport we can possibly find someone to share with. I guess it might be a little less expensive (and shorter) to take the water taxi from PR. I did convince him to take alilaguna back to the airport, though! ;)

Hi Cathy,

I have read here on CC that the alilaguna ride from Marco Polo to Hilton Molino Stucky (where we are also staying) takes 1 hour and 45 minutes. So we are opting to take a private water taxi. I plan to book with motoscafivenezia.it at a rate of 120Euros for four of us (though I think we will have to pay some extra fees for all of our luggages). Seemed like a more relaxing way to get there after a brutal overnight flight.

Hi Cathy,

I have read here on CC that the alilaguna ride from Marco Polo to Hilton Molino Stucky (where we are also staying) takes 1 hour and 45 minutes. So we are opting to take a private water taxi. I plan to book with motoscafivenezia.it at a rate of 120Euros for four of us (though I think we will have to pay some extra fees for all of our luggages). Seemed like a more relaxing way to get there after a brutal overnight flight.

Well, we won't have a flight to deal with, as this will be the end of our trip and we are arriving by rented car. We have used the water taxi desk at the airport before and it was very easy. On that occasion we chose to hang out for a few minutes until we found a couple who wanted to share with us--we had a fun ride chatting with them. So we will probably do that again. It is a very long, slow ride on Alilaguna or the vaporetti if you are last on the route!!!