Info on Auckland, New Zealand

pinotlover

We're departing the Marina next February in Auckland. A few questions:

1. Where does the Marina dock, and how close to the main harbor area of town.

2. Hotel recommendations for downtown Auckland. We are taking a tour out to one of the islands, and would prefer to be near the harbor.

3. How far is it from the downtown to the airport and how long does it take to get there?

thanks for the help! :)

We're departing the Marina next February in Auckland. A few questions:

1. Where does the Marina dock, and how close to the main harbor area of town.

2. Hotel recommendations for downtown Auckland. We are taking a tour out to one of the islands, and would prefer to be near the harbor.

3. How far is it from the downtown to the airport and how long does it take to get there?

thanks for the help! :)

Down town and a very modern pier like Vancouver.

As Always Marriott will be great

Its about 15 min drive airport to Pier

Dan;

Thanks, for the info. It will be a treat for Marina to actually dock right in the City Center, in lieu of piers elsewhere.

No Marriotts in NZ, period. I even called Marriott and asked!

Rats, No Marriott?. The reason I always suggest them is after some 40 years of travel for business and pleasure I have standardized because of consistent quality, reasonable price, service, their bed, and they have a great rewards program..... and they are everywhere... well I guess not NZ

Personally I would get out of downtown Auckland as, well, there is noting to really see or do, compared to getting out in the countryside. Plus it is congested and all crazy. The pier is something else...right down town ( such as it is)

You will board from Queens wharf, which is also the ferry terminal

You can splurge at the Hilton Princess Wharfe which is on the next wharfe over for about $300 a night OR Quay West Suites apts/hotel doe about $168 a night...good views, kitchen, suite, living room, and balcony. 2 blocks from Queens

Catch one of the ferries across the bay. There is a very interesting town to wander through, with the old fort. There is a map that walks you through all the historical sites and it was well worth doing. That night we went to bed early because we had walked most of the day. Excellent restaurants as well.

If you are going to buy wine in New Zealand, go to the grocery store. More reasonable there.

The bus from the dock to the airport takes 35 minutes, but it could be longer depending on traffic.The fare is $NZ 16 & they run every 10mins.They have a limited number of stops. I don't know the cost or time a taxi would take. The bus can travel in a bus lane so it would probably be quicker in rush hour traffic.

We stayed one night in Auckland prior to going to the Bay of Islands. We used Super Shuttle to take us into Auckland. We needed to pay up front but it wasn't that much. We stayed at the Waldorf Celestion apartment hotel. Lots of cruisers use it. It was clean and reasonable. I only reserved a one bedroom but ended up with a two bedroom. We could even get in upon arrival at 8:30. We took a very short nap and were able to take showers so felt somewhat human again. If you were staying longer, this would be great as you could fix some meals. This hotel is walkable to the harbor but may want a taxi if you have lots of luggage. If you go out on a boat( not cruise ship) make certain you have sunscreen and hats. We used neither as we did not unpack and got very sunburned! There is a McDonalds(wifi) on the way to the harbor. Enjoy!

Pearl

I wasn't going to contribute since our info is 5 years old, but we really enjoyed the Sebel Suites in Auckland. It was a few blocks walk to the port. We were on Nautica, not Marina, so I don't know if there's a difference about docking places. But we were able to wheel our luggage down to the port.

Plus we were close to most of the downtown sites.

My recollection of the drive from the airport is that it was rather longer than Dan says. But it's been a while since we did it. Still, I don't think it was 15 minutes! It seemed more like half an hour as I recall ... I could be wrong!

Whatever, the downtown location is very convenient. There's also a great dim sum place a few blocks away ... we stuffed ourselves for lunch the day we arrived. Then we went back to Sebel Suites and slept the afternoon away ...

Mura

Just got back from February in New Zealand and want to tell you that it was an absolutely wonderful place to visit. We went in and out of Auckland (Air Tahiti with stops in Papette coming and going from LA) and loved the city. We stayed at the Crown Plaza just across from the Sky Tower. It was an easy walk from the harbor, Sky Tower, downtown shops/stores (all close at 6 PM), a walk-in medical clinic (unfortunately had strep throat when I arrived and the Dr was wonderful), and the Hertz Downtown location. The CP was clean, friendly, comfortable and well located. It was also much cheaper than the Hilton which is literally out in the harbor -- good but a little out of the way. All IHG honors card (we had Intercontinental Ambassador status to get free night in Tahiti and late checkouts) are honored with room upgrades etc. We did not buy breakfast plan as there are convenience stores and bakeries all over the area. Harbour area has many restaurants and was a nice place to eat -- lots of the CBD area closes at 6 PM which surprised us and it is even more pronounced in the countryside where stores close at 5 PM everyday and 12:30 PM on Sat. to reopen on Monday at 9 AM!! 5 weeks and we never did completely adjust to that. Best sightseeing for me was Sky Tower on a brilliant Feb. day -- hundreds of sail boats way below you. Try the landbased parachute NOT! Have a great time. Go to South Island and into the fjords if you can -- amazing. Driving even on the "wrong" side was easy and no hassle. Can't get lost --not enough roads out of the city to give you any decisions to make.

Its about 15 min drive airport to Pier

You're kidding right - by private helicopter maybe! Google it and I think you will find it is considerably longer than that - I'd suggest at least 30 minutes and I'd certainly allow longer

Edited by Bodogbodog

When choosing hotels, we always look for location first...

When we disembarked in Auckland a couple of years back, we stayed at the Copthorne Hotel:

http://www.millenniumhotels.co.nz/copthorneharbourcity/

It is literally right next to the pier, so we were able to roll our luggage right off the ship and walk right to the hotel.

Room was a little dated, but nothing terrible...plenty nice for a short stay in Auckland. Very reasonably priced.

You're kidding right - by private helicopter maybe! Google it and I think you will find it is considerably longer than that - I'd suggest at least 30 minutes and I'd certainly allow longer

I arrived at the Queens pier and met some local friends around 7:30 am and we zipped out of town...in a flash and by the airport... If the Airport bus does it in35 min and stops several times its going to be a lot slower than a car/cab

From Pier to Waiotomo took As I remember less than 2 hours !

I would advise anyone thinking of travelling airport/dock in Auckland to allow 35 minutes mininum. I have travelled by both bus & private car & have never ever done it in 15mins. Whilst both of my sons in law know the route & alternative routes well & are not known to be slow drivers, we still have hold ups at times ,from traffic , road works & the lights being against us. If possible I nearly always take flights timed to avoid the rush hours .I conceed that all conditions being favourable it is possible to do it in 25 minutes ,but feel 15minutes must have involved some speeding & all the traffic lights being green.I cannot think of any thing worse than not getting to the airport on time.

When we were there five years ago, our TA had a group. She set up a day's tour and one of the last stops was Kelly Tarkenton's Underworld. It was a fun place.

Maybe not if you've seen every aquarium there is to see but we enjoyed our time there, too.

Mura

Go Kelly Tarkelton's Underworld. I think I have it right. It was such fun. Best place on earth, New Zealand.

What NZ is famous for...in fact their biggest attraction is the karst region around Waiotomo, an entire area of fantastic caves, underground rivers, stunning terrain... and throw in glow worms for good measure....

There are many companies in that area offering all sorts of scenic adventures of every level.....and stuff you cant see many other places on earth.

Beats a movie set seven ways from sunday

I have been to Auckland 4 times and getting out of town is my priority, as the town is pretty much just a town of no special scenic or special thing to see.

So Id do as Carol

I am so pleased you mentioned Waiheke Island! I rate it as one of the best places near Auckland, if not the world. It has a really special atmosphere. The wineries are fabulous and some have excellent restaurants. We did not take an organised tour, instead we caught the ferry over from Auckland, then used the local bus service mixed with walking to get around. We had an incredible lunch with wine at Mudbrick Vineyard.

Another highlight of Auckland is the suburb of Devonport, another great place to wander around and just a ferry ride over to Auckland.

I am so pleased you mentioned Waiheke Island! I rate it as one of the best places near Auckland, if not the world. It has a really special atmosphere. The wineries are fabulous and some have excellent restaurants. We did not take an organised tour, instead we caught the ferry over from Auckland, then used the local bus service mixed with walking to get around. We had an incredible lunch with wine at Mudbrick Vineyard.

Another highlight of Auckland is the suburb of Devonport, another great place to wander around and just a ferry ride over to Auckland.

We agree with you.The Mudbrick Vineyard for lunch looking out on all of Auckland might just be among one of the best places to experience any meal.Just hop on the ferry and go.