Is The Explorer in good shape?

Would like to book a New England cruise this summer but heard some negative descriptions of the Explorer's physical appearance in the public areas and in the cabins as well. I know it will be another year before the ship goes in for upgrades, but are they maintaining the cabins and pool areas? Some have commented that carpets are dirty in the hallways and the outside balcony areas are rusty,etc. Would rather avoid a ship that is seedy. Those of you who have been on recently, please let me know...thanks

Love explorer been on it multiple times the past years but just got off in February and brother 2 weeks ago and would not go back, actually brother got sick and they fumigated his room but he is canceling his 14 day on explorer and going on another ship. My balcony door handle almost rusted off, paint chipping on balcony and on chairs, seal in bathroom leaking, smell of sewage on the promenade, ton of new people and issues, worst explorer trip ever.

Was on Seranade and loved it, has been refurbished, cost is more I think then Explorer but beautiful ship. Sorry I hate posting bad things especially about a ship where I have a ton of great memories but not until the upgrade will I be back on Explorer for health and beauty.

I recommend reading the reviews here on cc. Some mention that she is showing her age, and other say she still looks great. Most will say however, that the cabins do show the wear and tear, but that the public spaces are good.

We are sailing on her this Oct, and I myself will not go looking for age spots. Instead, I will think of having a good time on board and being in Bermuda.

Edited by Irene7
typo

We sailed on Explorer last summer to Bermuda. We were a bit concerned as she is one of the last ships of the RCI fleet that has yet to be updated and modernized. The staff onboard do a great job keeping her looking good even though you could see some areas where she is a bit worn. There are areas of carpet in the hallways that have seen better days and some furniture that looks worn and needs to go. Some cabins are in a little rougher shape than others but the rooms themselves are kept clean as is the ship throughout. The pool areas are always well maintained. Even though she has yet to be updated I would not hesitate to go on Explorer.

Sounds like the ship is a bit on the shabby side...would be upset if we had a cabin with a sewage smell and rusty door handles to the balcony. I guess I will search for different options...too bad, the itinerary was perfect for us. Thanks for your imput.

Sounds like the ship is a bit on the shabby side...would be upset if we had a cabin with a sewage smell and rusty door handles to the balcony. I guess I will search for different options...too bad, the itinerary was perfect for us. Thanks for your imput.

We got off her in mid march and I thought she was in great shape. Having heard the complaints on here about her condition I was actively looking for signs of wear and I did notice a few but nothing that affected the function of the ship. For example the coloring of the carpet in the middle of the hallway by our room was slightly faded compared to the sections closer to the wall. Obviously this is due to people walking down the middle of the hallway. I definitely wouldnt call her shabby and I don't think any of the issues with her would ruin your cruise. Like I said I was actively looking for flaws and only spotted a few minor ones.

Well, unless the ship is brand spanking new, I don't think you will find one on any cruise line that has escaped some wear and tear. Stained carpeting and furniture is not unusual. Rust is not unusual. Chipped pain is not unusual. These things cannot be "fixed" in the 8 hours on turnaround day.

We were on the Explorer over Thanksgiving. The ship is in great condition. They were even replacing carpeting while we were there. So they are maintaining it, not just letting it fall apart.

The colors are dated, but not horrific :eek:. We cruised on the Liberty a month later, and truly thought the ships were comparable in wear and tear.

Would like to book a New England cruise this summer but heard some negative descriptions of the Explorer's physical appearance in the public areas and in the cabins as well. I know it will be another year before the ship goes in for upgrades, but are they maintaining the cabins and pool areas? Some have commented that carpets are dirty in the hallways and the outside balcony areas are rusty,etc. Would rather avoid a ship that is seedy. Those of you who have been on recently, please let me know...thanks

Was on Explorer 3/21 and going again 5/22, ship is fine. It is not new, but not falling apart.

The Explorer is in terrific condition. She is lovingly maintained by a diligent and friendly crew. My wife and I both fell in love with this ship. She is a classic, with elegant public spaces, wide cabin decks and excellent food.

We sailed Explorer on February 16th and found her is excellent shape. I wrote fairly extensively about our trip, see the link below.

We didn't experience any sewage issues but, it seems a shame to miss cruising aboard this delightful vessel over a minor issue like a door handle.

Jonathan

I just got off her on Saturday. I thought the public areas were fine. The cabin did show some minor wear and tear. The chips in the bathrooms will have to wait until dry dock. The bathroom was however clean. I have been to newer hotels that weren't as nice. I had read also read comments before boarding and was concerned. It was needless.

Go on your cruise. The Explorer is fine been on her many times. She is a wonderful ship. Everyone has their own opinions about her but she is not falling apart. The crew keeps her well maintained at all times.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app