Spring Break on the Epic

debk68

Don’t believe all the negative reviews! We had a great time on the Epic even with it being filled with Spring Breakers!

In Miami, we stayed at the B2, booked on priceline. Bring earplugs if you stay, (the air conditioning clicks 4 times when it turns on) The Hotel is convenient to the Bayside marketplace. We were surprised at how expensive everything was, but that is Miami. We ate dinner along the water, and drank Mojitos J Probably in the end could have paid for one of our cruises LOL! We used SAS transport from FLL to B2, I highly recommend this company! Then took a cab ($15) to the pier.

POSH pass. We were in boarding group 14 and were still able to purchase 2 Passes. This is a sundeck on Deck 18 that is only accessible to Haven guests or those with Posh Passes. At first I was disappointed as there was not a lot of shade. There is a bar and many sun loungers available any time of the day ( it is open from 9-6 most days). You can order a limited menu from the Epic club. The swordfish sandwich is very good. In the end we were glad we made the investment. Best place to see the sunset and the sail away party! It was never crowded and the bartenders and servers were very attentive.

Taste &. Manhattan. To be fair we only did Manhattan on the first night. They have live music and dancing while you dine. The boys we were with thought it was too annoying (19 year olds) so we dined at Taste. The food was poor (poached cod) to excellent (sirloin mignon and shrimp). If we didn’t like anything we just sent it back. Service, in my opinion was not attentive at all. We did find 1 server we liked, we asked to be put in his station again, and it didn’t happen. Another time I ordered a glass of White Zinfandel, he brought me a glass of white wine, saying "most people don’t care, so I just bring them something" We never waited getting into Taste.

The Buffet, probably the best Buffet/breakfast food I have ever had on a cruise ship. I thought it was fresh and hot and good variety. The made to order omelets and eggs benedict were a great change from powdered eggs and dry French toast on other cruise lines. Don’t miss lobster night. We went to Lobster night at 5 then saw a show, and then had dinner at Taste. Also, in the front of the ship, there is a staircase leading to La Cucina, a nice quiet place to eat breakfast or lunch that you brought from the buffet.

Osheehan’s was a nice alternative for snacks, breakfast and lunch. The prime rib was much better at Taste.

There was no drink package this cruise. We came out ahead, but probably would have ordered more expensive drinks with the drink package.

The Entertainment is good. Book your Blue Man Group in advance. The comedy and Howl at the Moon are entertaining. For Howl at the Moon stay at least a half an hour and you will be hooked! Don’t miss the Q&A with the ships officers and with the Blue Man group.

The Epic has a different feel than the other ships I have been on. It is still a great cruise! I like the openness of every other ship. At times I felt enclosed. If the price was right I wouldn’t hesitate booking the Epic again, but it is not my favorite ship. The ship does rumble when it is docking. We had a balcony on deck 12, I do love the balcony! There are always people cleaning, and painting.

For the ports of call, we mainly walked around. In Costa Maya we did an ATV tour. It was beautiful, but I think we could have covered the same ground with the golf cart rentals at 1/3 of the price.

Iconcierege app. We did download and purchase the messaging on this app. It was very inconsistent and frustrated us many times. BUT, it was the only way we could communicate with the boys we were with, so for that it "worked" It was totally inaccessible on the day we were in Cozumel. For $8.99 it worked better than Walkie talkies. But it still could use major improvement. Everything but the messaging worked well. You can view your account, see the list of activities.

If you have any questions please ask!

Just got off the Epic on Sunday 4/6/14 and I agree with this poster...would add that the steak house was great, sushi was also very good and reasonably priced, but I would not recommend the Tapanyaki. We had to pass on Costa Maya due to high winds so we couldn't dock, but no big deal. Would go again at this price, under $400 with balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums