Chops on Allure

I'm not sure what the "new menu" is, but yes they had mud pie on the menu at Chops last week when we were on the Allure.

The menu had the two "additional charge" steaks... those that were dry aged. The waiter said those would be the only steaks the equivalent of a true steakhouse. I thought that was an odd statement, but he was trying to get us to upgrade to those steaks (we did not).

I had the porterhouse and it was an average steak. Definitely nothing near the quality of the top Chicago steak houses I have eaten at.

My son had the mud pie and loved it. It came with a big bowl of vanilla ice cream.

I'm not sure what the "new menu" is, but yes they had mud pie on the menu at Chops last week when we were on the Allure.

The menu had the two "additional charge" steaks... those that were dry aged. The waiter said those would be the only steaks the equivalent of a true steakhouse. I thought that was an odd statement, but he was trying to get us to upgrade to those steaks (we did not).

I had the porterhouse and it was an average steak. Definitely nothing near the quality of the top Chicago steak houses I have eaten at.

My son had the mud pie and loved it. It came with a big bowl of vanilla ice cream.

So in essance he's saying the steaks on the regular menu (that you've already paid $35 each for) are substandard fare. That's so sad. Yes it annoys me that they have started to upcharge this kind of thing, but I can ignore it if I'm not pressed. If I'm pressed, I'll likely say something I probably shouldn't. I hope they don't try to push us on this during our Chops visit next month. :mad:

Since it was suggested that customers start emailing RC to express our displeasure at the potential Chops menu change, I sent the following to them today. Let's see what type of response I get, if any.

Greetings RCCL Team,

We are sailing on the Allure this coming July and would like to make reservations at Chops to celebrate my birthday. However, we understand that a new Chops menu is being tested on some ships.

In addition to a price increase to the surcharge and a la cart items, you are removing baked potatoes (really?!) among several other popular items. So we're looking at paying over $50 for what we normally paid $35 for, with fewer menu options? Is this correct?

Do you anticipate rolling this menu out fleet wide, and will my cruise have this new menu in place come July? If so, we do not want to make reservations at Chops, as we enjoyed the current menu on previous cruises on the Allure.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

That's exactly what Chops has always been, an average steakhouse. Did you really think that for $35 you were going to get an experience that approaches $100 at a prime steakhouse?:confused:

Did you really think that for $35 you were going to get an experience that approaches $100 at a prime steakhouse?:confused:

Carnival gives it for the same price (35.00 per person) so why cant Royal? :confused: They serve USDA Prime cuts for NO extra charge. Royal charges the 35.00 and THEN tries to upsell a better steak.

Edited by ryano

Since it was suggested that customers start emailing RC to express our displeasure at the potential Chops menu change, I sent the following to them today. Let's see what type of response I get, if any.

Greetings RCCL Team,

We are sailing on the Allure this coming July and would like to make reservations at Chops to celebrate my birthday. However, we understand that a new Chops menu is being tested on some ships.

In addition to a price increase to the surcharge and a la cart items, you are removing baked potatoes (really?!) among several other popular items. So we're looking at paying over $50 for what we normally paid $35 for, with fewer menu options? Is this correct?

Do you anticipate rolling this menu out fleet wide, and will my cruise have this new menu in place come July? If so, we do not want to make reservations at Chops, as we enjoyed the current menu on previous cruises on the Allure.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Will be interested to know if you receive a reply, and what the reply will be.

That's exactly what Chops has always been, an average steakhouse. Did you really think that for $35 you were going to get an experience that approaches $100 at a prime steakhouse?:confused:

Nope, never said I expected it to be a prime steakhouse. While it is only $35, one never knows if a cruise line subsidizes part of the cost. I was simply using that comparison to let the poster know where the steaks fit into the spectrum. Not everyone may have your level of expertise with cruise line steak houses.

The aged steak for more money allegedly is similar to a prime steakhouse but I did not have it so I have no first hand knowledge. The waiter specifically noted the aged steaks would be similar to the upscale steak houses.

Guess my tastes aren't as refined. I've visited top steakhouses in Chicago and New York and up until a few years ago considered Chops just as good as what I've gotten there. I completely disagree that they've "always been" an average steak house.

It really does make me question the decision-makers at RC....removing the Baked Potato from a STEAKHOUSE menu???? Really?????

Also, as someone here on CC said on another thread before, the only steaks "included in the normal Chops fee" are now a sirloin and an 8oz filet (down from the 10 oz on the old menu). Can't speak for others, but I would never go into Chops and order a sirloin....no offense but I get sirloins in steakhouses when I want something somewhat close to a filet without the filet price...

And I do think Chops offers a great steak experience, wouldn't call it an "average" steakhouse by any means :D

Thanks to everyone for their responses