Going to a specific page in a thread

When I was reading the S&S thread (yes I read it all) I would copy the address from the address bar at the top of the window and paste it on my desktop. Then whenever I wanted to go back to it, I could go where I left off.

Another way is to go to any random page (beyond page 1) on the thread in question. Then look at the web address in your browser. Find that particular page # (near the end of address), and simply edit that number out, and type in the page # you are interested it....

Example:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=103797&page=3&pp=25

The above link if for PAGE 3 in that thread. Do you see the 3 near the end of the address?

If you want to go to page... 100, simply replace that 3 with "100"...:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=103797&page=100&pp=25

A "mini-hack" if you will.... easy as that...

Tom

Once you've read all the posts within a thread, if you click on the blue box with the checkmark to the left of the thread title the next time you visit, it will take you to the first new post since the last time you were there. Does that make any sense at all? I think I've had too much to drink.

Once you've read all the posts within a thread, if you click on the blue box with the checkmark to the left of the thread title the next time you visit, it will take you to the first new post since the last time you were there. Does that make any sense at all? I think I've had too much to drink.

I've been wondering how to get back to the last page viewed -- but I don't see this check box...?

I've been wondering how to get back to the last page viewed -- but I don't see this check box...?

The check box will take you directly to the LAST POST on the thread... it has nothing to do with where you left off reading...

Tom

The check box will take you directly to the LAST POST on the thread... it has nothing to do with where you left off reading.......

The check box to the left of the thread title (in the Thread/ Thread Starter column) with the arrow pointing down firstnew.gif will take you to the last post that you haven't read. The check box with the arrow pointing to the right lastpost.gif (in the last post column) is the one that takes you to the last post.

When you move your mour mouse over one it will say go to first new post, the other one will say go to last post.

The check box to the left of the thread title (in the Thread/ Thread Starter column) with the arrow pointing down firstnew.gif will take you to the last post that you haven't read. The check box with the arrow pointing to the right lastpost.gif (in the last post column) is the one that takes you to the last post.

When you move your mour mouse over one it will say go to first new post, the other one will say go to last post.

It sounds like a great idea.. but I just tried that on 3 or 4 threads, it appeared to work on one, but on the others - each time it took me to some random page/post within the thread... For example, I went to a thread I have never read, and loaded (and scrolled through) the first full 3 pages of posts (there are many more in that thread). I then closed that window, and went back to the main thread listings - where I then used the GO TO FIRST NEW POST feature. That took me to the middle of PAGE 5 (dozens of posts beyond where I left off...:confused: ) Perhaps this works like the OLD search feature : OCCASIONALLY !

What experiences have you had using this feature... ?

THANKS!

Tom

Oh, THAT thing. I never paid much attention to it. Certainly never would have interpreted as a check mark. Thanks for clarifying.

It sounds like a great idea.. but I just tried that on 3 or 4 threads, it appeared to work on one, but on the others - each time it took me to some random page/post within the thread... For example, I went to a thread I have never read, and loaded (and scrolled through) the first full 3 pages of posts (there are many more in that thread). I then closed that window, and went back to the main thread listings - where I then used the GO TO FIRST NEW POST feature. That took me to the middle of PAGE 5 (dozens of posts beyond where I left off...:confused: ) Perhaps this works like the OLD search feature : OCCASIONALLY !

What experiences have you had using this feature... ?

THANKS!

Tom

I always use the feature. I rarely have problems with it. I always refresh by using forum jump at the bottom of the page I was reading. I don't know if that makes a difference.

It sounds like a great idea.. .......... Perhaps this works like the OLD search feature : OCCASIONALLY !

What experiences have you had using this feature... ?........

I would say both on this board and a couple of other (non-cruise related) boards that the feature works, but not correctly all of the time.

It often takes me to the first unread post, but other times it takes me beyond that or sometimes to the first post in the thread. I use it because it works often enough, and when it doesn't I just scroll up or down to where I left off. Like everything else it's a great idea when it works, a minor pain when it doesn't ;).

I always use the feature. I rarely have problems with it. I always refresh by using forum jump at the bottom of the page I was reading. I don't know if that makes a difference.
I did not know it would refresh by using the forum jump.Thanks for the tip.:)

Archived