Our Carnival Liberty Experience 3/29-4/5/14

App: Stuffed Mushrooms

DSCN1335.JPG

Still taste good, just like they did on Destiny 2 years ago. Just enough stuffing in each mushroom with a cheesy tomato based sauce.

App: Pasta Dish-forgot to write the name down.

DSCN1336.JPG

DH said it tasted good, seasoned well but he doesn’t put salt or pepper on food-just so you are aware.

We got the New York Strip Loin tonight so I didn’t take any pictures, they look just like they did under the old menus.

One of the boys tried to branch out and ordered the Shrimp Creole under the Port of Call Main section-came with four shrimp and he ate it before I could snap a pic.

Dessert: the kids left right after dinner to head up to Club o2, we decided to try some dessert.

DSCN1337.JPG

DSCN1338.JPG

This was the sticky bun with sauces (sorry I remembered the pic after it was picked over). The bun itself is not flavorful but the sauces (white-is great, chocolate not so much) are really good. The bun was missing cinnamon, nutmeg-something. This seemed to be the theme of the week but I guess when cooking for the masses you really cannot season to everyones taste buds.

Good Morning!

We are planning on making our way down to Jack's when we go in July (got my coupons already printed and in the GT envelope!) Can you tell me the how long it takes to walk there? Also what is the cost for the chair and umbrella rental?

Thanks so much!

Tammi

Entertainment: OK so after dinner & dessert we head up to see “Wonderful World” in the Venetian Palace, we sat in the Balcony this time.

DSCN1341.JPG

DSCN1341.JPG

These pictures were taken prior to the start as no video or pictures are allowed during the performance (maybe because they actually use some lines from other peoples shows- JMO). It was an OK show, I had never seen it. The lead female singer-Ruby Sayre (very strong voice); lead male singer-Alan Swadener (not so much).

We then went to The Punchliner, as two new comedians had come aboard to perform. Happy Cole, he was hilarious (even if my BFF didn’t like him). Again if you’re easily offended –don’t go or at the show with your parents DO NOT SIT WITH THEM, he embarrassed a group of young people who sat with their parents as he talked about what parents do with each other once children leave the home and we become empty nesters.

Of course you know what time it is after the show-Pizza time, LOL. Then a night cap of Bailey’s on the balcony and off to bed we go.

Up next is our last sea day, packing and then off the ship for our post cruise excursion to South Beach. Thank you everyone for following along so far, more to come!

Good Morning!

We are planning on making our way down to Jack's when we go in July (got my coupons already printed and in the GT envelope!) Can you tell me the how long it takes to walk there? Also what is the cost for the chair and umbrella rental?

Thanks so much!

Tammi

The walk is about 10-20 minutes, depends how quickly you can walk through the chairs at the cruise port & in the sand down the beach. The actually distance is 500 yards or .25 mile, so not a very far walk but with the sun shining down on you and walking in sand, it can be a hike, I am being every honest with you. Take your time walking it and you should be fine. The cost of the chairs & umbrellas is always changing- this time we got four loungers & two umbrellas cost was $20, last time we got two loungers & one umbrella cost was $20 (it's an island thing-LOL). We always tip the guy for setting it up, so don't forget to budget tipping in.

The walk is about 10-20 minutes, depends how quickly you can walk through the chairs at the cruise port & in the sand down the beach. The actually distance is 500 yards or .25 mile, so not a very far walk but with the sun shining down on you and walking in sand, it can be a hike, I am being every honest with you. Take your time walking it and you should be fine. The cost of the chairs & umbrellas is always changing- this time we got four loungers & two umbrellas cost was $20, last time we got two loungers & one umbrella cost was $20 (it's an island thing-LOL). We always tip the guy for setting it up, so don't forget to budget tipping in.

Awesome! Thanks for the info...

Tam

Happy Cole was one of the comedians on our cruise last Sept. He was our favorite.

Really enjoying your review! Waiting for more.

Thanks for putting in some food photos and comments.

Thanks for reading along. I am hoping to finish up today (God willing), hopefully Life doesn't get in the way.

SECOND SEA DAY & LAST NIGHT (Friday April 4)

Will we chance it and head to the brunch today……..

I informed everyone the night before that I would be using my free drink coupon at brunch today-PERIOD, with or without DH with me or anyone else. I had read such great things about this brunch and wanted to experience it for myself. So after getting ready and grabbing our excursion info for tomorrow (we needed more luggage tags zone 3- they only gave us 3 per cabin-LOL); off we went (yup DH decided to come along).

It was located in the Silver Olympian Dining Room (3 aft), which means I can go down 3 flights of stairs and be right at the entrance. There was a short line to get in and we opted to sit with others as the wait for a two person table was longer. We sat with two other couples and a mother/daughter group on their annual mother/daughter vacation-very nice people.

OK, I am going to apologize again (I keep doing that), in the hurry to finally go to brunch I forgot my camera in the cabin so sorry- no pics of food :mad:.

I can tell you the bread basket looks wonderful-the items in it muffins, breads, rolls, all very nice looking. I decided to try the lemon pound cake-missing sugar and the flavor of lemon, very dry. So I ordered a “Cruiser” drink with my coupon-yup it’s 5 o’clock somewhere-LOL. Then DH ordered the same and the mother/daughter (the mother actually drank hers and finished her daughters-LOL).

I ordered steak-n-eggs entrée with the béarnaise on the side. It was cooked perfectly! DH ordered the fat stack pancakes (blueberry), two eggs (over medium), and pork link sausage- lets just say his eyes where bigger than his stomach because he did not finish it all!

I also ordered the caramelized cheesecake- which I shared with DH, now this was very good (wish I could have ordered it during the week at dinner).

Once done, we headed to the excursion desk, checked out photos, picked up t-shirts at the Fun shop and then I started to pack up the boys cabin. Since I have to repack for 5, I cannot wait until late to start this process.

We do head back to the Fun shops for the watch sale at Noon and pick up a watch set for DH (he had eyed it all week and finally I make him purchase it).

Being after one they are all ready for lunch but since we ate at the brunch I am not very hungry. Everyone goes and does them-some getting Guys, Fish & Chips, Mongolian Wok (which is good, I tried BFFs), buffet, etc., I opt for fruit only.

We head back to the Fun shops to pick up my Bella Perlina Bracelet -I too had been eyeing it all week and DH said I should buy it, he’s so good to me.

Then I grab my stuff to lie out at the aft pool. We luck out and find four loungers in the sun. After a nap, I decide I need to pack some more of our stuff before dinner. How did I get all this stuff in originally? LOL.

Dinner: We decide we have had enough of the MDR and go to Emile’s Buffet instead. Salad, some of the entrées- steamed mussels, creole shrimp, cornmeal crusted tilapia, all very tasty.

I also decide I want ice cream today so a cone is in order, everyone follows suit and gets one!

Entertainment: The boys hit the Carnival Legends show as one of their friends mom-Karen (from karaoke) will be performing. I head back to the cabin after listening to some Latin Music, I need to finish with the packing and put out those bags.

Here is what awaits me when I return to the cabin:

DSCN1343.JPG

Next up, debarkation, South Beach and some final thoughts…………….

DEBARKATION & POST CRUISE EXCURSION (Saturday April 5)

Our sad, sad day has arrived. We must say goodbye to Liberty and all the friends we have met on this vacation :mad:.

But let us not end it too soon; we are going to go do the South Beach Experience with drop off at Fort Lauderdale Airport through Carnival for $49.99 per person, booked while on the ship. The boys are looking forward to Ocean Drive and possibly seeing someone famous! I love the fact that I got enough OBC to pay for this excursion from Early Saver rate drops. Since I had read several reviews on Carnivals website that stated they wished they had been given a map of South Beach, prior to leaving I printed off a few from the internet so we would know where we were, plus I requested a map from AAA on the Miami/Fort Lauderdale Vicinity.

Up early, this was the view of the city from our balcony:

DSCN1354.JPG

DSCN1355.JPG

We hand out envelopes to Putu and his assistant(s) one male/one female (not sure their names as they never introduced themselves) but they took care of us for the week and you have to show your appreciation for those that do you right.

FYI- Guess Services does have envelopes available to hand out extra tips, should you forget them (or run out).

Breakfast: Well an omelet of course from Elmer. We give him an envelope with a small token of our appreciation for taking such good care of us this past week. Everyone eats, we hug and laugh with the Atlanta crew as they have zone 19 and will get off after us.

We are supposed to meet for our excursion in the Venetian Place by 7:45AM. We get there and are walked off the ship at exactly 8AM; the final sound of that ding is heart-breaking.

We get a porter and gather all our luggage, we know all too well the wait with a porter is shorter than without. So quick stop with customs, he only asked our full names while holding up our passports to our faces and a quick welcome home and off to the bus we went.

South Beach Experience:

First view of the city from the bus:

DSCN1356.JPG

DSCN1359.JPG

There was a bike race going on so we had to take a little detour to get to South Beach (s0me main streets were blocked off). I also realized that we didn’t go to the Holocaust Memorial in San Juan-that was actually Miami, sorry about that mistake.

Here is the picture of the memorial near the convention center:

DSCN1373.JPG

DSCN1373.JPG

OK, time for the drop off part. We can now enjoy a walk around South Beach, we head down Ocean to see if Wet Willie’s is open for business for a nice alcoholic slushy but they are still closed-DANG.

DSCN1376.JPG

If you ever make it to South Beach/Wet Willie’s try a “Call-a-cab with Shock Treatment & Attitude Improvement”- trust me they are really good!

DSCN1377.JPG

Walked by Mangos, great Latin dancing in the evenings:

DSCN1379.JPG

DSCN1380.JPG

Had to do a little souvenir shopping, the boys wanted to check out this shop, we have one at home and I know jeans cost $400- no way!!!

DSCN1381.JPG

FLL to Buffalo via Southwest, again we had a direct flight home, so we should have no problem with missing/lost luggage-right?

Our flight was scheduled for 4pm, with all seven who flew down from Buffalo together, flying back on another direct flight through Southwest.

Lunch: Kids decide to grab a bite at the Cuban restaurant in the terminal; the adults opt for chips-LOL!

Flight home: No issues the flight goes well. Once we get into Buffalo -it’s a balmy 32 degrees when we land- it was 84 in Miami. We gather our stuff and head to baggage claim only to find the airline was broken one of our pieces of luggage. It’s in a plastic bag and taped up- the zip is almost torn off- Southwest blames TSA –TSA blames them, then Southwest advises they do not cover zippers but will pay for any missing items from the bag, with proof it was actually in the bag-LOL. I’m just ready to go home- they are not going to ruin my fun, relaxing vacation! So a quick call to Grandpa for pick up and home we are bound.

Coming up final impressions, as always if you have any questions or need more details on anything, please ask. Thanks for following along.

Final Thoughts:

I want to first, say thank you to all the CCer’s who answered not only my questions but questions of others that I hadn’t even thought to ask but gave me much needed information prior to this cruise, you are a wealth of knowledge and I am grateful that you took the time to help me.

Carnival Liberty, the crew and Brittany as the CD were great. We all enjoyed ourselves and although the American Table/American Feast menus were some hits and some misses, this could have occurred with any other cruise line, on any other ship. We did not go hungry by any means. As a matter of fact, everyone in our party gained 5 pounds-even though we took the stairs almost everywhere!

The Club o2 staff where great with my boys and yes the boys gave out envelopes to them the last night -from their own money, as they all got together and decided they deserved it. I have to say it was a proud moment for DH & I, when we realized what they had already done.

Here is the Club o2 picture- they had a large group of kids this week:

IMAG0245.jpg

My hope is that you gained some additional insight into Carnival Liberty and enjoyed reading about our vacation. Please join us for our next cruise adventure in 2017.

review!!!! I like your writing style! Glad you all made some great memories!

Thanks for reading along-it was fun writing about it, a lot of work but fun non the less.

Thank you so much for letting us share your cruise. Just a few more days, and I'll be boarding Liberty for a Western Caribbean cruise!!! :D

Thank you for taking the time to read it and have fun on your cruise.

Enjoyed your review! We are leaving on the Glory out of Miami next month and visiting many of the same ports. We are planning on going to Jack's Shack in Grand Turk. Got my free rum coupons printed out :p!

Have fun and make sure you check out the Sandy "V' drink or the rum punch @ Jack's, both are very tasty!