Kids on the Star

SleevesEnd

We (my husband, our will be 11 year old daughter and I) are looking in to cruising Alaska again next summer with a different itinery than we just did on the Infinity. Loved the ship and the ports, but don't want to exactly the same cruise. Since we don't love the formal nights (it's hard to shift gears from kayaking to glitter in an hour) and prefer to eat when and where we like, especially on an Alaskian Cruise, we thought we'd try the Star. My only concerns are I did take my daughter on the Sky in 2000 to the Western Caribbean and did not love the children's program. It was litterally 2 guys (who were actually pretty good, considering) and about 20-30 kids in a room with a small stage, movie screen and some toys. My cousin's 4 year old actually walked right out the door alone. Thankfully another family member found him riding the elevators ... no one even knew he had left! No ID bracelets let alone beepers or anything. Signing in and out was lax and basically the kids could leave with anyone that picked them up ... quite convient on our large family cruise ... but scarey. I know times and ships have changed and it was 5 year's ago, but I checked out Cruise Critic's Best Family Ships page and it did list NCL's Sun and Dawn but not the Star. Does anyone have any experience with the Star's programs, especially for the tweens?

Thanks,

Mary

We were just on the Star last week with our 8 year old. The Star has a very large and nice area for kids (ball pit, play areas, craft areas) up on Deck 13 and a heated kids pool on Deck 12 aft. They group the kids by 2-5, 6-9, 10-12 and teenagers. We had kids in all four groups. The two younger groups go up on Deck 13 and our kids had a great time. Lots of activities and the kids club coordinator often called our cabin to make sure our daughter came to the upcoming events. I unfortunately can't say the same for the older two groups. The teenagers have a "teen club" on Deck 12 by the game room but the 10-12 group has to share the teen club space for their kids club. The 12 year old with us hated it and would not go after the first time. The teenager was not impressed either.

I got the impression that that was the opinion of a lot of the 10-16 group as we kept having to dodge them in hallways and especially the stairwells during the rest of the cruise. I had one kid who looked to be about 11 or 12 tell me that I couldn't use an elevator because he was using it for elevator tag. I pushed passed him and used it anyway while being subjected to his barrage of name calling and complaints that I was going to make him lose. My mother was almost knocked down by a kid running up and down the aft staircase. Complaints to the reception desk were met with "kids will be kids." NCL's policy clearly states that all children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult at all times while on board, but they didn't enforce it.

We were just on the Star last week with our 8 year old. The Star has a very large and nice area for kids (ball pit, play areas, craft areas) up on Deck 13 and a heated kids pool on Deck 12 aft. They group the kids by 2-5, 6-9, 10-12 and teenagers. We had kids in all four groups. The two younger groups go up on Deck 13 and our kids had a great time. Lots of activities and the kids club coordinator often called our cabin to make sure our daughter came to the upcoming events. I unfortunately can't say the same for the older two groups. The teenagers have a "teen club" on Deck 12 by the game room but the 10-12 group has to share the teen club space for their kids club. The 12 year old with us hated it and would not go after the first time. The teenager was not impressed either.

I got the impression that that was the opinion of a lot of the 10-16 group as we kept having to dodge them in hallways and especially the stairwells during the rest of the cruise. I had one kid who looked to be about 11 or 12 tell me that I couldn't use an elevator because he was using it for elevator tag. I pushed passed him and used it anyway while being subjected to his barrage of name calling and complaints that I was going to make him lose. My mother was almost knocked down by a kid running up and down the aft staircase. Complaints to the reception desk were met with "kids will be kids." NCL's policy clearly states that all children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult at all times while on board, but they didn't enforce it.

Thanks for the response. Mostly because of the itinerary we're doing another cruise instead. I'm glad you and your son had a great time on your cruise ... I guess we were in Alaska at the same time!

• 2 weeks later...

Mary,

I don't know if you remember my screen name, but I still have the DVC Tee Shirt you made.

I have never done the Alaska itinerary, but would like to. Can you tell me which of the possible glacier choices the Infinity takes you to (for viewing)? I understand there are a few choices, and I would enjoy your feedback on the one you saw.

I never got a peek at the kids' inside area, myself, but I did watch my nephews having a good time in the little pool and children's hot tubs. Their parents took turns taking them there. And, they seemed to love the children's program (age 2-5 category). However, the teen center looked downright blah to me. I was expecting a fun, bright room that looked more like a nightclub. Mostly what I saw were rows of computers and video screens. It just didn't look very inviting. I've seen some photos of teen centers that resemble a fun club, complete with colorful bar stools, jukebox, large dance floor, etc. But, hey, what do I know??!! Maybe these kids liked what they had on the Star. :D

My daughter was kind of a "tweener" on the cruise. When we boarded, she was 12. But, a few days later she turned 13. They let her in the teen program from the beginning. Her two girl cousins who are a year and two years older were there, as well. After the first night, the oldest cousin found a group of friends and she ended up hanging around them. My daughter and the other cousin were kind of bored for awhile, although she said things got better and she ended up having a decent time. To tell you the truth, she's at an age where it's like squeezing blood out of a turnip when it comes to finding out ANYTHING! :rolleyes: I think I'm comparing her experience on the Star to our last two Princess cruises when she wasn't even 11 yet. It's amazing how a couple of years changes things! Suddenly she's this self-conscious teenager who would rather die than be caught walking around the ship alone! Gee, that might cause people to think she doesn't have any friends! :eek: I think being a teenager on any ship is probably harder than when they were still "kids" and more willing to join in the programmed activities. I especially feel for the ones who are 18. Where do they fit in? The teen club goes to age 17. And, they really aren't old enough to partake in the adult activities. Hopefully,they can connect with others in the same age category.

There were kids in hte pool on the Star. After all, there are two small water slides into the pool area. That said, I didn't see under 6 kids in the larger pools when we were going to Mexico last spring. A little bit older kids were there.

the Stanger

Hi Stanger,

I see your going back on the STAR again, you must have liked it as much as we did. Were actually doing the Mexican Riviera again in Feb.

Dawn Anne,

There were kids in the main pool, and also in the hot tubs in that area. I remembered some that were about 7 or 8 years old, and were actually pretty well behaved. There is an adults only pool inside near the spa, with some excellent views off the back of the ship.

:)

Archived