Cabanas by the Pool

We just had some friends off the Freedom who mentioned these Cabanas, however they didnt rent one nor inquire about them. They did say the towel patrol was out in full force on their sailing and chairs were avail.

I didn't take pictures of them. They are the same blue cabanas that are used at Labadee on the ocean side.

You mean the clamshells. Sorry, but even though we've had a cabana on Labadee three times, I can't see paying for this on the pool deck. But, I can't see spending $300 for one day. That's more than most people spend per day just to go on the cruise.

I don't understand, what's so terrible about them offering Cabanas on the pool deck, with drink and food? I've done it at resorts all the time, in Hawaii, Mexico, Vegas. What's so different about having it on a cruise ship? Isn't it just a floating resort anyway?

Personally, I like the idea and would most definitely pay for it.

I don't understand, what's so terrible about them offering Cabanas on the pool deck, with drink and food? I've done it at resorts all the time, in Hawaii, Mexico, Vegas. What's so different about having it on a cruise ship? Isn't it just a floating resort anyway?

The only problem I see with this is space. Space is at a premium as it is. I think its a great idea if its incorporated into a new ship as a new amenity. Not into a ship that never had this perk before.

That's not the problem.

I agree with you to an extent. We rent them at resorts all the time, the difference is that this was always public space on an already crowded deck.

Like I said before. I think it's a fantastic idea (aside from the JR lunch), but lets add an area during dry dock or convert a relatively unused area for it, not throw a cheap cabana in a public place for it.

The only problem I see with this is space. Space is at a premium as it is. I think its a great idea if its incorporated into a new ship as a new amenity. Not into a ship that never had this perk before.

My sentiments exactly.

You mean the clamshells.

Those clamshell loungers?? It's not a real cabana with curtains and loungers with a TV, etc......you mean you are just renting those clamshell loungers? I'll take a pass. Was thinking it was like the cabanas you rent at the Ritz or other resorts. LIke this:

cabanas-tranquility-pool-the-ritz-carlton-key-biscayne-v197650-800.jpg

That's not the problem.

I agree with you to an extent. We rent them at resorts all the time, the difference is that this was always public space on an already crowded deck.

Like I said before. I think it's a fantastic idea (aside from the JR lunch), but lets add an area during dry dock or convert a relatively unused area for it, not throw a cheap cabana in a public place for it.

Definitely understand the space issue. I do love the idea though. Maybe Quantum? ;) Don't they have Cabanas for rent on Celebrity's Solstice class ships? They do on the newer Princess ships as well. They're probably just trying to complete, and maybe testing on ships to see if they should incorporate on newer builds.

Edited by Fitzget

Those clamshell loungers?? It's not a real cabana with curtains and loungers with a TV, etc......you mean you are just renting those clamshell loungers? I'll take a pass. Was thinking it was like the cabanas you rent at the Ritz or other resorts. LIke this:

cabanas-tranquility-pool-the-ritz-carlton-key-biscayne-v197650-800.jpg

What you posted is what I consider a cabana.

However, I think this is along the lines of what they are describing on Freedom... which (I guess?) you could technically call a cabana, but its nothing like what Celebrity and Princess have. I'd pass on the cabana below...

232323232%7Ffp43434%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C%3A7366%3C5326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43358%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C%3A733%3B7%3A326nu0mrj

PS- I stole these cabana pics from one of DarthGrady's reviews ;).

Definitely understand the space issue. I do love the idea though. Maybe Quantum? ;) Don't they have Cabanas for rent on Celebrity's Solstice class ships? They do on the newer Princess ships as well. They're probably just trying to complete, and maybe testing on ships to see if they should incorporate on newer builds.

I would love it if it was well thought out and done the "right" way.

Something like this: LINK

I would pay a substantial amount of money for one of those on a sea day ;).

I would love it if it was well thought out and done the "right" way.

Something like this: LINK

I would pay a substantial amount of money for one of those on a sea day ;).

Totally agree, saw a video of those and they are absolutely gorgeous.

We are sailing on the liberty tomorrow. Wonder if they have something like this? I would pay it on at least one sea day for a splurge so I don't have to fight for space when traveling with my parents when my dad struggles to get in and out of tight spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately not correct, the Suite Area on The Allure has upgarded sunloungers that are larger and more comfortable than regular ones. They are wicker style and have quality cushioned pads.

They were brought onto the ship during the first few weeks aof Jan 2014. :D

lol

...................... I know allure has it on the deck above the pool, there is a sign that says 'for suite guests only'. It's just regular old seats, nothing really special.

lol

I've heard of special seating by the pool for suite guests. I know allure has it on the deck above the pool, there is a sign that says 'for suite guests only'. It's just regular old seats, nothing really special. However this is the first i've heard of cabanas by the pool and renting them... I would rent a cabana on labadee, but never ever would you catch me renting space on the ship that i've already paid for to be on in the first place

We were on Allure in January and the loungers were very nice upgraded ones. There is also a separate bar for those who like to stay hydrated.:)

I find it odd that the suite guests were booted to an undesirable area of the ship in favor of the new cabanas, though.

Horrible idea. Taking an already crowded public pool area and plunking down $300 a day cabanas. Can't imagine wasting $300 for one but what is annoying is the fact that they make the pool area even more crowded. Some days you can barely find a place to get into the pool and now with these things up there? Anything for a buck these days. I hope people stay away from them so that the public pool can stay somewhat free of clutter.

Great thread!!!

I feel bad for the suite holders who are losing their reserved spots. These were recently added to somehow justify the absurd suite costs. I'll save my money and go on 2-3 more trips.

They Oasis has a nice setup at the beach pool - tables and umbrellas. What's next - are they going to start charging for those spots?

Maybe a secluded area like Royal Princess or NCL Haven adds some value. On Freedom class it ends up looking like the the cheesy VIP area in a dance club or sporting event. Keep the gimmicks and relentless up-sell out of my vacation.

I'm getting closer to finding a different place to invest my vacation time. Which is my most valuable asset.

Thanks so much for the heads up!!

What you posted is what I consider a cabana.

However, I think this is along the lines of what they are describing on Freedom... which (I guess?) you could technically call a cabana, but its nothing like what Celebrity and Princess have. I'd pass on the cabana below...

PS- I stole these cabana pics from one of DarthGrady's reviews ;).

Bam! Those are what are on the Freedom right now.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The clamshells were in place on the Apr 6-13 FOS sailing. We were told $300 but not what the additional perks were. I think we just asked someone renting them how much it cost. We just tried to make friends with the people using them ;)

Drinks aren't a perk if you already have a drink package. I had no problem sitting a row below them on a regular lounger for free :)

I really need to learn how to post pics...

There is a thread that had a pic of the new reserved cabana area here with the pic on the first page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2025410

I was on that cruise and saw them too. They have signs saying "reserved for X family.)

Posting ics is easy, just set up a free photobucket account and cut and paste the "IMG" links for each pic. The site here automatically displays the pictures.

There are other free sites also but the above it what I use.

To take a pic from another thread just hit reply, then cut the IMG link and paste it into your thread (and don't actually reply to the first post, just hit back button on browser)

08_Cabanas.jpg

Edited by DrD