Jewel electric turned on with room key?

luv2gamble

Just back from Breakaway and you had to put a room key (actually any key with a magnetic strip) into a slot in order to turn on/off electric. Is the Jewel the same way? I thought I was charging my cell and when I got back it never charged because I took out the key and all electric was shut off. I wanted to pack a little digital clock on the jewel but if you have to use a key to get electric I won't bother. That would be annoying to constantly re-set the clock every night. I hate having no clock in the rooms. Thought because the Jewel is an older ship that it might not be that way. Hope so, want to bring a clock. Does anyone know???? thanks:D

No, this is not a factor on the Jewel (no card controlled electric). But, your digital clock will probably not work well on the ship, as the current changes/varies (not sure how it effects digitalis, but analog clocks don't keep accurate time). You are much better off with a small battery powered travel clock.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Just back from Breakaway and you had to put a room key (actually any key with a magnetic strip) into a slot in order to turn on/off electric. Is the Jewel the same way?

You already got the answer about older ships, but just to clarify: On newer ships (Epic and newer) the slot has either a physical microswitch or an optical sensor that controls the electricity so it doesn't matter if the card has a magnetic strip or not. :)

Demonyte, thanks for that info. BTW, I used to be able to reply to messages by clicking on the quote or mini-quote. I have been clicking on them and only my message pops up without the quote of which I was responding too. Is there something new I don't know about? Cant understand why the quote not coming up. I emailed CC and they could not figure it out? Thanks

Demonyte, thanks for that info. BTW, I used to be able to reply to messages by clicking on the quote or mini-quote. I have been clicking on them and only my message pops up without the quote of which I was responding too. Is there something new I don't know about? Cant understand why the quote not coming up. I emailed CC and they could not figure it out? Thanks

Working just fine for me (although I never use the quick reply option).

Thanks fishbait! I didnt think the current would do anything, never thought of that. Where would I get a battery travel clock? Do you think Walmart or some place like that would?

Thanks

Here is a link to amazon.com.

I like having a clock in my cabin too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_20?k=battery+travel+clock&sprefix=battery+travel+clock

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

smart phones make great travel clocks.

Thanks Mike. My son says the same thing. I have the old phone LOL. I cant see me upgrading when I know I would never use the features. I only make calls and text LOL. Maybe I'm showing my age haha. I thought my clock on phone would work last week on Breakaway but that didnt work at all. Drove me crazy not knowing the time. Bought a watch in Nassau:D. this cruise its a must to have a clock in room. Only clock is very tiny on the cabin room phone. Its nice to roll over in bed and know the time haha. Was going to bring my little digital alarm clock w me but someone on thread said it won't work? Don't really understand why but I assume they are correct. Thanks again Mike.

Yes they do.

I use mine as an alarm clock every weekday.

But on a cruise it is always turned off and locked in the safe.

And I don't like wearing a watch!

ETA: Not using the travel clock as an alarm, just simply like knowing the time if I wake up in the middle of the night.

~Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

Yes they do.

I use mine as an alarm clock every weekday.

But on a cruise it is always turned off and locked in the safe.

And I don't like wearing a watch!

ETA: Not using the travel clock as an alarm, just simply like knowing the time if I wake up in the middle of the night.

~Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Thats exactly it. Im not a good sleeper and all night long I toss and turn and know what time it is. If I have to get up early for an excursion, I can use the wake up call but I like to look and know I have 2 hours before they call LOL. I dont understand why they have no clocks. On the Breakaway, the only clock I saw was on the pool deck. Otherwise, I had to keep asking people what time it is and in my room it was guessing time lol

Here's a link that explains the electric cycling problem.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1779321

My smart phone doesn't always keep accurate time on the ship either.

I'll see you on the Jewel in a few weeks!

Robin

Hey..LOL...I didnt realize we are going on same cruise. Are you on the roll call and doing M&G?

The room phone does have the time on it.

Im going to be 50, cant see it without glasses LOL. Want to see time without getting out of bed and putting my glasses on. I will find a battery clock like everyone says. Thanks

P.S. Did you see how small the numbers are on the phone, even w/my glasses I could hardly see it. LOL my vision is not really that bad too, its only for reading.

Hey..LOL...I didnt realize we are going on same cruise. Are you on the roll call and doing M&G?

Haven't been on the Roll Call in a while, and probably not doing the M&G. We usually do it, often run it, but this trip is about being with family for limited time, and I don't know if the "kids" want to to the M&G. I'll talk to them in a few weeks and see what they want to do.

Robin

Haven't been on the Roll Call in a while, and probably not doing the M&G. We usually do it, often run it, but this trip is about being with family for limited time, and I don't know if the "kids" want to to the M&G. I'll talk to them in a few weeks and see what they want to do.

Robin

The roll call for the Breakaway that I just finished Sunday was packed. Pages of posts and 96 showed at M&G. The roll call for the Jewel is dead. Maybe one post per day and not many on it. No action at all. I'm probably skipping it myself. I thought maybe because its Alaska and off season. I hear the ship will be mainly be older passengers. Its not a party cruise with kids.

The roll call for the Breakaway that I just finished Sunday was packed. Pages of posts and 96 showed at M&G. The roll call for the Jewel is dead. Maybe one post per day and not many on it. No action at all. I'm probably skipping it myself. I thought maybe because its Alaska and off season. I hear the ship will be mainly be older passengers. Its not a party cruise with kids.

Yeah, it's a slow roll call for sure (although the Gem M&G I just ran was put together only two weeks in advance and we ended up with almost 60 people!). It will be a mixed crowd, not many real kids though (my "kids" are 27-21), and there seems to be a lot of new cruisers (or at least new to NCL) on the thread. I've subscribed to it, so keep getting updated with every (rare) post. It should pick up as it gets closer, especially after Easter.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

We just use our phone for a clock. As to the person with phone time issues, you do have to watch that. It will get the "correct" time from the ships tower, and if that is wrong, so is the phone. Assuming you have turned off "auto set" for time, you then just change when the time zone changes yourself.

Yeah, it's a slow roll call for sure (although the Gem M&G I just ran was put together only two weeks in advance and we ended up with almost 60 people!). It will be a mixed crowd, not many real kids though (my "kids" are 27-21), and there seems to be a lot of new cruisers (or at least new to NCL) on the thread. I've subscribed to it, so keep getting updated with every (rare) post. It should pick up as it gets closer, especially after Easter.

Robin

LOL, I check it out every few days or so and it takes too long to review all the posts I missed...takes me about 1 minute LOL....would u happen to know if the MDR is open for breakfast or lunch? The Breakaway, MDR was only open for dinner only and only the 2 small MDR were open (w little menu choice) and buffet