Should I let Carnival know of issues I had on the Sunshine?

Susiecruisey

OP, if it bothered you, then write a reasoned, balanced letter, and explain the situation. You're the one who paid for a vacation, and expected a certain experience. If the result didn't meet your expectations, you should tell them. (Now, you and I might disagree about what the experience should be - as you've seen on this thread. But, you're the one who paid for the cruise. It's your expectations that matter in this case.)

OP, if it bothered you, then write a reasoned, balanced letter, and explain the situation. You're the one who paid for a vacation, and expected a certain experience. If the result didn't meet your expectations, you should tell them. (Now, you and I might disagree about what the experience should be - as you've seen on this thread. But, you're the one who paid for the cruise. It's your expectations that matter in this case.)

I agree with this. I think that a letter that tells some of the things you enjoyed along with the complaints would be given more attention. Food is always subjective, especially the WCMC since some seem to like it more done than others. I would list who you gave your complaints to as well.

i have been on 13 or 14 carnival cruises , had great times , along with good times , and some bad times.

if i complained to guest services they always tried to help me.

i just love to cruise and its with carnival. no matter what.

ps, my biggest complaint is the shows are the same per ship ,

think i'll ask for a refund:D

i have been on 13 or 14 carnival cruises , had great times , along with good times , and some bad times.

if i complained to guest services they always tried to help me.

i just love to cruise and its with carnival. no matter what.

ps, my biggest complaint is the shows are the same per ship ,

think i'll ask for a refund:D

The ships I have been on the show have not been the same.....

we always take low deck midship ocean views for all our cruises and the only line that we have smelled sewage on was carnival

Not Ncl

Not princess

Not Disney

And yes I know carnival corporate is princess parent company but there is a big different between carnival cruise line and princess cruise line. Big difference.

Some people become highly emotional whenever something negative is brought up. People are attempting to vet the OP's onboard actions, paint previous communications with Carnival in a certain light, or outright dismiss the OP's legitimate concerns all in defense of the company.

I maintain that if a company offering does not live up to expectations, and especially if you have tried to have those issues rectified at time of service and they were not, that writing to the company can only be positive. Again, no one has to be negative, nasty, demanding, or rude to the company, but factually asserting what you encountered, how you felt, and what your expectation was will assist other cruisers in the future assuming HQ has good communication with onboard staff.

My advice to the peanut gallery is to not take it as a personal attack on your preferred brand, but to put yourself in their shoes and ask would you have enjoyed a similar experience, what would your expectation be, and how could it be reasonably rectified or improved upon in the future. I think it is great that another cruiser wants to address these issues for the betterment of all. I read absolutely no sense of entitlement to "something" or to come out ahead of their current position.

I could not have said it better myself! It is beyond me that the "Pom Pom" carrying crowd not only defends critical service issues regarding Carnival but that they do it in a malicious way. It's a shame that human nature does not dictate to many human beings that they should compliment a company when they meet our expectations. Is that not what we paid for? That's what they promised. In my mind compliments are for going above and beyond and

exceeding our expectations.

In this case the OP had perfect reason to share their disappointments with Carnival both aboard the ship and afterwards. Constructive criticism that is the roadmap for improvement.

Guest services and the head waiter

You appear to have legit complaints which you tried to address while onboard. You paid good money for this cruise and have every reason to expect Carnival to provide a great experience. I suggest you write Carnival - recognize the good and mention the bad. It would help if you could provide names of employees that you interacted with about the complaints and whom did not address them to your satisfaction. One has to assume Carnival will look into their issues and respond to you. Don't be discouraged by those on here that try to down play your concerns or ridicule your post. :)

There was always a very bad smell on deck 4. Sometimes so bad it was sickening. The wcmc was always too done. The steak was tough and had no flavor.

Would you contact them about the issues?

I did and nothing changed with the wcmc or smell all week. The steak we just ate anyway as I had a spa appointment I had to get to and did not have extra time to wait for a new steak

Susiecruisey,

I'm confused; you asked if you should tell Carnival, but you mentioned several times that you did report your issues. If you reported the issues to Carnival, then you already did what you are asking if you should do.....

WCMC

WCMC has always been different each time I've had it. Never the same twice, but ALWAYS quite tasty. I've had it done all thru, soft all thru, and ever runny. Mixed with the right amount of vanilla ice cream it's always perfect.

I assume the WCMC variation in presentation is related to the fact that the ovens tend to heat more or less depending on where my particular WCMC is situated on the rack. I want my WCMC in front of me on the table with two cups of vanilla ice cream.

SMELLS

The smell is ultimately related to burning diesel fuel. We've all smelled it and will continue to smell it from time to time depending on the atmospheric pressure and how the wind is blowing at a given time. I've been around diesel engines my whole live and drive one daily to work; sometimes they stink and even smell like sewer. I rarely notice when I'm driving, but when I get behind a diesel I smell it sometimes.

Sometimes the smell may be related to the blackwater piping; all sewer pipes are vented and have to be for proper functioning. The wind blows and pressure changes and thus air gets sucked into passenger areas. It's going to happen; always has and always will. Sewage emits gas; gas expands and must escape somewhere.... The same gas that escapes ship's piping also escapes from passengers pipes from time to time.

Steak

If your steak is cooked wrong, the time to have it corrected is right after you receive it; any delay and no action can fix the issue.

Until humans find a way to manufacture meat that is consistent and doesn't involve animals that tend to grow meat however their genetics tell them to, then meat will be different from time to time.

I prefer my meat with some sour cream which tends to confuse my servers and annoy tablemates who have yet to taste steak with sour cream; it's awesome that way! Sometimes I have to order a baked potato just to get them to bring me sour cream.

If my steak is too tough I either eat something else or cut it up smaller. If it's too dry I set it aside. If it's too well done I set it aside.

I would assume that if you were to call Carnival about their steak, then the most they could do is not continue eating that particular cow.

I always try to write and let businesses know how much I enjoyed my stay, even if just a short weekend. I never expect anything in return, I just feel like people enjoy hearing the positive instead of always the negative. I've never had a bad vacation.

It blows my mind as well, to see what people complain about. Reading reviews on Yelp, or even Facebook, it's just unbelievable. Just last week, John Heald posted a complaint from an American couple who were VERY upset that they were seated with an Australian family at dinner. They felt it was uncalled for to seat them with people they had nothing in common with and made for a very uncomfortable week. That was insane to me.

One of these days I'll visit your little magical theme park in Florida. lol. Being a native to Los Angeles, I've been to DL plenty. ;)

Just think of how the Australians felt !

I've cruised Carnival 9 times. The steak in the MDR has been tough and tasteless since the first cruise. I always tell new cruisemates to not try it yet they always do and they have my same sentiments. Tough and tasteless. It has never ruined my cruise. Didn't even ruin my dinner. I sent it back and ordered something else.. Believe me Carnival knows they aren't serving Prime grade steaks in the MDR. Want a great steak go to the steak house.

Smells come and go. Complain about it when it happens. I hardly think they can track it down a week later.

Remember "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweatty things."

I did report them and nothing changed all week.

So if you reported it then why are you asking should you report it? I don't understand this thread. Just put it in your post cruise survey and be done with it. The cruise is over. Hopefully you still had a great time. Time to move on.

I agree with the people who have said to write Carnival about , but don't make the complaints the entire reason for writing.

For example, after my first cruise on Triumph I wrote to tell carnival what a great time I had, how wonderful the crew were, especially my cabin steward, but I also mentioned how another passenger was constantly taking pics with her phone during one of the shows (she was directly behind me) against the instructions given at the start of the show, and it would have been nice if the crew could have spared someone to watch for these kind of things and enforce the rules so that everyone could enjoy the show.

There was always a very bad smell on deck 4. Sometimes so bad it was sickening. The wcmc was always too done. The steak was tough and had no flavor.

Would you contact them about the issues?

The food issues, in my opinion, are something you bring up right then and there. That way they can be addressed immediately. No need in bringing them up now.

The bad smell...that could have been brought up on the ship, but could also go on a survey. i've never experienced this but I have heard others mention it regarding other ships too. So perhaps it's worth mentioning.

They cannot fix something if they are not aware of the problem. When it comes to my food, I always speak up immediately. If it's not worth it at the time, it certainly isn't worth it later when there is nothing to be done about it.

Live and Learn.

the desert, well if it's chocolate enough I don't care if it's hot or cold, the steak, don't order it again and the smell, I love to walk on the ships and I can guarantee I'll find a smell somewhere on any line I've ever been on, just walk a little faster in that area. It's still a cruise.