Question re Chair Hogs ...

kristie64063

Just wondering that you all thought. If there are chair hogs, and it's clear that noone is around and they haven't been around for sometime, yet every chair is full, my plan is to simply remove whatever towell is holding the spot. Put it in a safe place (if there is other personal stuff I probably wouldn't feel comfortable removing it) and take a seat.

If I'm in a seat, I'll use it; I'd only leave my stuff in to dip in the pool to cool off for a minute, then get back in the lounger.

Does everyone not do this? Is there an unspoken rule against it? I feel like it's rude to hold something you're not using, and have no problem moving said stuff...

What do you all think? And this is probably wrong, but if someone came up and I had their chair they'd held forever without using, I'd probably just pretend it was free when I came along, and ignore them...

You have a couple of options...

One, is go to the crew manning the towel stand and tell them.

or

Move the stuff off the chair but then move the chair to a different location. That confuses the chairhogs..

It's all in the strategy......lol.

I wouldn't have any problem doing either of these things if I was sure that it is a CHOG situation.

It's all in the strategy......lol.

I wouldn't have any problem doing either of these things if I was sure that it is a CHOG situation.

Yep, and it is fairly easy to determine that it is a CHOG situation - simply watch the chair for 30 minutes. If it remains empty, voila - chair hog!

I know this has been beat to death, but the whole idea of putting an item on a chair (or multiple chairs) at 7 AM, and (maybe) showing up three hours later to use said chairs is incredibly ignorant and inconsiderate. In my mind no different than the able bodied baby boomers that have figured out a way to snag a handicapped placard to beat the system when parking, then shamelessly do so while practically running into the store.

Kevin C

I was recently on the Sunshine. A lady had a chair as well as a clam shell. She put her things in one and would move back and forth! I thought that was so rude. She just would move her things back and forth, putting her things where she wasn't sitting. It was PACKED and nothing else was available. Didn't seem to bother her.

I was recently on the Sunshine. A lady had a chair as well as a clam shell. She put her things in one and would move back and forth! I thought that was so rude. She just would move her things back and forth, putting her things where she wasn't sitting. It was PACKED and nothing else was available. Didn't seem to bother her.

that is rude!

on our last cruise there was a HUGE line up of chairs with towels on them. at some point a kid came took his towel and left. well that chair was empty. a guy walked over, picked up the chair and a lady came screeching over "that's OUR chair for my son!!" the man said "nothing is on the chair" They had like 8 chairs. that kid NEVER sat there. so rude. the man ended up walking off with the chair the lady was so irritated. I don't know when I go get loungers I reserve two for me and my husband. My kids come and go and sit on the ends and go back to doing whatever. they dont need a lounger.

Last cruise, I got in to it with a snarky man who lied to my face. I wanted a lounge chair, by the pool, in the sun. My child was in the pool and I need to be nearby...ya know, be a good parent and watch my child. So I waited and waited and waited. 45 minutes later, the 4 lounge chairs still remained empty with towels "roping" them together. I simply went over to the two chairs I wanted, moved the towels to the other chairs and sat down. About an hour later, a man finally showed up and had a cow that I had "stolen" his chair.

I explained the rules to him. He kept arguing. I told him I'd be happy to get a crew member to come and re explain the rules to him again if need be. After he lied and told me that he and his wife and daughter were sitting in it only 10 minutes before (which I knew was a lie because I had been there for a long time myself) I finally put my headphones on . He proceeded to continue to run his mouth and informed me i did in fact need a vacation lol.

All in all, I told him I was going to get security if he didn't leave me alone. He still had two chairs if he wanted them. I had nothing further to say to him. He was a lying jerk. I put my headphones in, watched my child have a blast in the pool with new friends and i got some sun. While he sat next to me lol.:cool:

You never know how people will react. Even ones that you prove are in the wrong, they sometimes just won't shut up. So be prepared either way you choose to handle it.

I look at it like this. There is absolute no need for any and everyone to be right next to that pool unless you have a child in it that needs watching. Of course, it's your vacation just as much as a parent but you ("you" in general) can be a row behind the other chairs. My child was a new swimmer and needed a close eye on. Otherwise, I can walk 50 steps to dip in the pool to cool off if I have to sit away from the pool.

In the end, do what you want, just know some people go crazy over their "saved" chair.

Just wondering that you all thought. If there are chair hogs, and it's clear that noone is around and they haven't been around for sometime, yet every chair is full, my plan is to simply remove whatever towell is holding the spot. Put it in a safe place (if there is other personal stuff I probably wouldn't feel comfortable removing it) and take a seat.

If I'm in a seat, I'll use it; I'd only leave my stuff in to dip in the pool to cool off for a minute, then get back in the lounger.

Does everyone not do this? Is there an unspoken rule against it?

Does it really matter if there is an "unspoken rule" against this sort of behavior if there is a clearly posted rule against chair hogging? Doesn't the latter trump the former? I would not be very concerned about how rude I might seem to be toward inconsiderate pax who flout the ship's official, posted policies. I get that no one wants to get into a knock-down-drag-out fight about this sort of thing, but is it necessary to be worried about offending the offenders?

I feel like it's rude to hold something you're not using, and have no problem moving said stuff...

What do you all think? And this is probably wrong, but if someone came up and I had their chair they'd held forever without using, I'd probably just pretend it was free when I came along, and ignore them...

Why pretend? If you have used the chair for 30 minutes (or whatever the cruise line's policy is on the maximum time one can reserve a chair) and no one has come to claim it, you do not have to pretend anything! The hogger has "legally" forfeited his right to use the chair. What would keep anyone from coming up to someone in a lounger and saying, "You are sitting in my chair?"

[As a matter of fact, I am surprised more people who want lounge chairs don't do that -- simply tell whoever is in any lounger you want that they took your chair! If it doesn't work the first time, try it with another person (not within earshot of the first.) Eventually, someone will probably believe you and move! But I know we are all good people on CC and would never dream of doing such a thing... ;)]

Yep, and it is fairly easy to determine that it is a CHOG situation - simply watch the chair for 30 minutes. If it remains empty, voila - chair hog!

Kevin C

I never lie by the pool, so I am simply a spectator when it comes to the practice of getting a lounge chair. Even so, I am interested in the philosophy and technique of acquiring a seat.

Has anyone tried simply moving someone's stuff (well, towel, at least, but really, anything) and simply being seated, waiting to see what happened? It seems to me that if anyone were in the pool and looked over and saw you in their seat, they would come over and let you know (probably in no uncertain terms) that you had taken their chair! If they were in the bathroom or the buffet, and came back within the prescribed 30 minutes, same thing... so you apologize profusely, and move. No harm done, and you got the chair for however long it took the (in this scenario, legitimate) "owner" to set the situation straight. If no one came within the set time (whatever the cruise line policy is) you are home free and have squatter's rights to the lounger! Done and done! What is wrong with this picture?

I never lie by the pool, so I am simply a spectator when it comes to the practice of getting a lounge chair. Even so, I am interested in the philosophy and technique of acquiring a seat.

It is nice to be near the pool in order to cool off on those hot days, but I choose not to do so either, in my case mainly because I have a temper that needs controlling, and choose to avoid confrontational situations that could lead to a problem.

Has anyone tried simply moving someone's stuff (well, towel, at least, but really, anything) and simply being seated, waiting to see what happened? ... What is wrong with this picture?

Nothing at all, excellent idea!

Kevin C

It is nice to be near the pool in order to cool off on those hot days, but I choose not to do so either, in my case mainly because I have a temper that needs controlling, and choose to avoid confrontational situations that could lead to a problem.

Kevin C

Assuming your comments were not tongue-in-cheek...

My reasons for avoiding the pool area are different from yours, but wow -- it is hard to imagine that lying by the pool while on vacation would be so stressful. It's a shame! It sounds a little like the stress levels are similar to those engendered by commuting in traffic!

(I guess after being on CC for years I would have figured out that some cruises do have a serious tendency to be confrontational! :mad:)

People are obsessed with Chogs because they are just rude. If you are sitting in the chair that is one thing. but if you just put your stuff there and never sit in it. that is another. There are over 3000 passengers on the ship. However there is not a chair for every single one of them by the pool. Just be courteous. If you are not using the chair, let someone else.

I was on the Splendor last July and one woman would come down every morning before 7 and put towels on 15 chairs. Seriously lady???? We never saw more than 4-5 people using those chairs and then it wasn't until much later in the day. I enjoy going down in the morning to sit in the quiet and have my coffee and be gone by 10 or so. But she yelled at me one morning when I was just sitting on the bottom of one of the chairs talking to my sister. I wasn't staying, I was just checking in with my sister. She was a piece of work.

That's why people are obsessed with Chogs.

I was on the Paradise last week, and chair hogs were awful. I tried to find a chair around 10:30 one morning and not an empty one to be found. People put their blue towel on it AND fold the upper back down (I guess that's code for "its taken"). The next day I gave up and turned into a chair hog myself. I went down at 8:00am claimed my chair, then went to breakfast. At times, one just has to play the game too.

I was on the Paradise last week, and chair hogs were awful. I tried to find a chair around 10:30 one morning and not an empty one to be found. People put their blue towel on it AND fold the upper back down (I guess that's code for "its taken"). The next day I gave up and turned into a chair hog myself. I went down at 8:00am claimed my chair, then went to breakfast. At times, one just has to play the game too.

But its not a game! If you want to leave your chair with a towel and book and go for breakfast or whatever why should you give it up to another if you are coming back:confused:

If you were in the pool or Jacuzzi for an hour you shouldnt have to give up your seat by the pool so the same should apply to anyone leaving their chair for what ever reason.

People just want to turn up and expect to get a premium position chair within moments!

You need to share and then chair hop to get the ones you want or get there early enough to have a choice:)

If you want to leave your chair with a towel and book and go for breakfast or whatever why should you give it up to another if you are coming back:confused:

Because it is not "YOUR CHAIR". It belongs to the cruise line to be enjoyed by all guests. If you are not sitting in it, you are not using it. :rolleyes:

Because it is not "YOUR CHAIR". It belongs to the cruise line to be enjoyed by all guests. If you are not sitting in it, you are not using it. :rolleyes:

Rubbish! It is your chair when you are using it even if you are not in it!

Learn to get up to the lido earlier if you want a primo chair next to the pool and you wont have a Chog problem, its that simple!

I cant understand why people are so obsessed with CHOGS:confused:

First come first served! Get up earlier and grab the chair of your preference or wait until one is free to use.

The problem is several hours later, most of the chairs are still free to be used with the exception of the towel, sandal, or book they are holding.

But its not a game! If you want to leave your chair with a towel and book and go for breakfast or whatever why should you give it up to another if you are coming back:confused:

If you were in the pool or Jacuzzi for an hour you shouldnt have to give up your seat by the pool so the same should apply to anyone leaving their chair for what ever reason.

People just want to turn up and expect to get a premium position chair within moments!

You need to share and then chair hop to get the ones you want or get there early enough to have a choice:)

Whether you should or shouldn't have to is immaterial. Carnival's rule is 30 (or possibly 40) minutes after a chair has been left unattended (by a warm body) it is free for use by anyone. If you want to stay in the pool or hot tub for an hour straight, that's fine, just don't expect the chair you were sitting in to be available when you get out.

But then again, you know this as we've talked about following rules before on other threads.

Learn to get up to the lido earlier if you want a primo chair next to the pool and you wont have a Chog problem, its that simple!

So sorry you feel that way.

Of course the cruise line (and most cruisers also) will tell you that you are simply wrong, since it is their ship and they set the rules.

The real pity is that the Aussies I know are such gentlemen/women. I at least would realize that you are an exception, but what about cruisers who are getting to know an Aussie for the first time?

if you want to get up early to stake out that prime location Great. BUT USE THE CHAIR. Don't put your towel on it and then go back to bed till noon. I will be long gone by then. So dont be mad at me if I use your chair while you are sleeping. Think of it as a sub-let.:D

Thesre are 30 min. SHIP RULES for inconsiderate people for a reason. Pleas tell me why they don't apply to you!