Question re Chair Hogs ...

kristie64063

Just curious....but what happens if the persons towel is removed and they come back hours later and can't find their towel? Will they end up having to pay the $20 or so amount to replace the beach towel? I always wondered about that.

Carnival needs to make paper signs. " Pardon me, but I am away and am holding this chair. I left at ------and understand that the chair is mine only for 30 minutes if empty. After that time, please feel free to have a crew member gather my items for safekeeping." It will do one of two things...clear up the problem, or give the CHOG some exercise, changing the times. If it is left blank, feel free to put in a time of your liking!

Is it 30 minutes or 40 minutes. The only time I'm not in the chair is if I'm either in the pool or very nearby hot tub. I wouldn't think of being so rude as to reserve a chair and leave the area entirely.

I set a stopwatch on the towel and make sure I'm back on time.

It used to be 30 minutes and then was changed to 40 minutes.

Carnival needs to make paper signs. " Pardon me, but I am away and am holding this chair. I left at ------and understand that the chair is mine only for 30 minutes if empty. After that time, please feel free to have a crew member gather my items for safekeeping." It will do one of two things...clear up the problem, or give the CHOG some exercise, changing the times. If it is left blank, feel free to put in a time of your liking!

I almost made signs like that for myself before our last cruise. I may do it for the next one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The worst case of chair hogs I ever seen. Was 4 years ago on the Spirt. Went up right around 7 am on a port day. Sat down on a chair by the waitting fir dw who had to run back to the cabin. While waitting this "lady" came up to me and told me I had to move. That was her friends chair and she was there yo put a towel on it so it would be empty when they came back on board. Didn't plan on speadding all day by the pool. However we were staying on board and when the6 got back I was still in her friend's chair.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Forums mobile app

I am simply waiting for "smart chairs"-- the chair itself will tell you if has not been occupied for 40 minutes-- and will dump any towels or personal items that belonged to the previous tenant after said 40 min. Also comes with wifii and a bartender call button.

You have a couple of options...

One, is go to the crew manning the towel stand and tell them.

or

Move the stuff off the chair but then move the chair to a different location. That confuses the chairhogs..

That had me literally laughing out loud! I can just see their confused faces as they looked around. Heh?? Priceless!

So sorry you feel that way.

Of course the cruise line (and most cruisers also) will tell you that you are simply wrong, since it is their ship and they set the rules.

The real pity is that the Aussies I know are such gentlemen/women. I at least would realize that you are an exception, but what about cruisers who are getting to know an Aussie for the first time?

Why am I an exception? I dont lounge by the pool and if expressing an opinion on a subject is rude to you then your morals and judgement are way out of whack!

I cant understand why people are so obsessed with CHOGS:confused:

First come first served! Get up earlier and grab the chair of your preference or wait until one is free to use.

That's ridiculous! Why should loungers go unused for hours because some idiot has saved a seat they think that they might use later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Just curious....but what happens if the persons towel is removed and they come back hours later and can't find their towel? Will they end up having to pay the $20 or so amount to replace the beach towel? I always wondered about that.

who cares if they have to pay or not

To me, it's not the people that leave for an hour while grabbing a bite or taking an extended dip, etc, that are the problem.

It's the folks that get up at 7am and reserve a bunch of seats but don't show up to use one of them until after lunch.

I'm an easy going guy, so- to the OP's question- I would never move someone's stuff. I'd just find somewhere else on the ship and adapt. That said, it is rude (in my opinion) to reserve a chair for half the day and not use it because you are significantly inconveniencing others who would use it during that time and there is a limited supply.

It would be better to show up 30-45 minutes before you plan to start using the chairs and try to find some to reserve at that time.

Whether you should or shouldn't have to is immaterial. Carnival's rule is 30 (or possibly 40) minutes after a chair has been left unattended (by a warm body) it is free for use by anyone. If you want to stay in the pool or hot tub for an hour straight, that's fine, just don't expect the chair you were sitting in to be available when you get out.

But then again, you know this as we've talked about following rules before on other threads.

Yes you are correct:)

But as you know many just turn up expecting a chair ASAP and these CHOG threads cause people to believe they can demand seats, this is also their right to the ships rule but in the real world by doing this they are inciting possible conflict!

The employees dont want to cause trouble or any conflict and that is the reason they dont enforce the rule on most occasions.

To some cruisers it is important to get a chair early as the majority of their vacation involves sunning themselves all day by the pool, me I avoid the sun but if a chair isnt available I go elsewhere or sit on the deck on my towel until a chair becomes available I definitely would not waste 40 mins of my time watching to see who hasn't returned to their chair as many on here seem to do else how would they know the chair hasnt been visited by the original claimant:)

Why am I an exception? I dont lounge by the pool and if expressing an opinion on a subject is rude to you then your morals and judgement are way out of whack!

Indeed, you make a valid point. You do have a right to your opinion. Still a pity that it is so unAussie.

If you go to the pool with your towel, wearing a swim cover and sandals, where do you put your stuff if you don't want to hog a chair?

You stand on deck with folded arms tapping your foot scanning all the chairs for 40 minutes,wind yourself up enough to complain with baited breath to an employee who just smiles, then you get in a bad mood with everyone in your party for the rest of the day, keep complaining all cruise then come on CC and vent your anger at CHOGS. Simple:)

Rubbish! It is your chair when you are using it even if you are not in it!

Learn to get up to the lido earlier if you want a primo chair next to the pool and you wont have a Chog problem, its that simple!

So beat the Chogs by becoming a Chog..interesting technique..

Indeed, you make a valid point. You do have a right to your opinion. Still a pity that it is so unAussie.

And what I ask do you know about Aussie and UnAssie that I dont:confused: There is no such thing lol:D:D:D You should try a cruise full of Aussies lol Its the reason so many of us come to US to cruise! look up "Bogan" and you will find real Aussie culture;)

Edited by fishtaco

So beat the Chogs by becoming a Chog..interesting technique..

Not really as this is the reason there are so many CHOGS.

I just sit where a chair is available or move on but most CHOGS wouldnt class themselves as CHOGS they only do it because they are worried they wont get a chair because of all the CHOGS and this has been said many times by so called NONCHOGS:D

If I want to get a lounger- I get up to the deck by 9am and get one for me and hubby. We never leave for long. I have seen incredibly rude people who will reserve a large number of loungers and don't show up for many hours!

On the other hand- I have also seen very rude people toss other peoples stuff who haven't been gone for very long. IMHO there are rude people on both sides. Some people just show up during 'prime time', see an empty chair and take it without a second thought. I've had to stop some people from ditching others belongings by telling hem that that person hadn't been gone long.

I've seen this happen to young people especially. One morning my son and I went to the pool early and he got a lounger near it. I was a little farther away since he was 14 and could swim. He went in the pool for 15 mins and someone turned his towel, shirt and flip flops in and took the lounger. Thank goodness we found them,

Some people are chair hogs and some people are just selfish and take what they want because they are too lazy to wait. I have no problem with having a staff member intervene after the allotted time but I would never feel right touching other people's belongings. You just don't know what could happen in a confrontation. Just my 2 cents.

I have no problem removing someone's things:)

I just place them on one of the other loungers. No one has ever said anything to me because either they knew they were wrong or because they did not come back the entire time I used the lounger.