New to Windstar- Sailing the Windsurf

lori450

This will be our first voyage on Windstar and we will be on the Windsurf. I would love to know about the opportunities and options available to us. I see that someone wrote a similar post, but would like to know if it is the same on the windsurf and find out more details.

Is there an engine room tour? Galley tour? How, where and when do I sign up for this?

What is Candles? is there one on the Windsurf?

We will be doing an 8 day itinerary that includes Stockholm, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Tallin.

Since it's a cold water itinerary, would they use the water sports deck for anything?

Thanks for any and all info. I am one of those people who wants to experience it all and would be sad if there was a lost opportunity.

Yes to Candles. My suggestion is to book an evening when you are in port if you can. You book at Reception (or on boarding day there is a desk set up nearby in the Yacht Club), and I would book as soon after you board as possible. Pick a night for the Stella Bistro too if you want.

There is a Galley Tour (don't think there is an Engine Room tour but someone will correct me if I am wrong) you sign up at Reception and it will be listed in the Daily info flyer.

I haven't seen the watersports platform used on any of the cruises I took in the Med. Having said that, it was always early or late season so that might have a lot to do with it. Also we are usually touring around during the day so would have missed it anyhow. Enjoy.

I'll be going on my first cruise aboard the Wind Surf soon. I'm looking forward to the things you mentioned as well as going shopping in port with the chef.

Claudia

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you Snow Cat,

Are Candles and the Bistro an extra charge?

So back to your original question - Candles is the alternative dining venue located outside on the pool deck. When making reservations, it is best to make it for an evening when NOT under sail as the restaurant is open to the elements and it can get a bit windy. There is NO extra charge, but reservations are required.

Yes to Candles. My suggestion is to book an evening when you are in port if you can.

Yes Swinden explained it better. Its pretty windy if you are sailing. No charge for the alternative restaurants.

Thank you both. Now I get it! Sounds great. What is the Bistro like?

Shopping with the chef???? Can someone tell me more about that?

And, what time do people usually board. I have only been on the big ships and people board pretty early. Our ship is scheduled to depart at 6pm from Stockholm. What time would you suggest for boarding.

Edited by lori450

Hopefully someone else will chime in on shopping with the chef. I can tell you more when I get back in a few weeks. From what I've read, it's not a given on every cruise. And like the Candles reservation and tours of the galley and engine room, you'll want to inquire as soon after boarding as possible to get your name on a list. That's about all I know. I've seen a couple pictures from the shopping excursions on Windstar's Facebook page or somewhere. Looks like fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lori,

We have sailed on the Wind Surf and the Wind Star. Boarding times for both were 1 pm.

The boarding procedure is quick and efficient. If you get there right at 1 pm you will be able to stand in line and talk to your fellow passengers. You will also get to walk around and explore the ship.

Thank you both. Now I get it! Sounds great. What is the Bistro like?

Shopping with the chef???? Can someone tell me more about that?

And, what time do people usually board. I have only been on the big ships and people board pretty early. Our ship is scheduled to depart at 6pm from Stockholm. What time would you suggest for boarding.

On our first Carib cruise on the Wind Surf, boarding started at 1 pm...we were ready to board at 12:30. There will be a buffet lunch and time to explore the "yacht" before the sail away. BTW, you WILL want to be on deck for the sail away.

It is not like the big ships. no huge rush to get on the ship and there really isn't that much to explore. If you are sailing from Stockholm, enjoy Stockholm a little more or check in and then enjoy the city a few more hours. The one thing you have to appreciate is the pace--no lining up, no rushing to buffets, no big shows, no crowds, no need to save seats, no kids, no noisy pool games, no big lineups to get off the ship, no parades of people on tours, no bus badges, no shopping lectures, no gold by the inch sales, no pushing drinks. You will check in early anyway but you will see what I mean for the next time. And there will definitely be a next time.

Thanks RealProperty,

That really defines it for me. Only one thing you got wrong.... there will be at least one kid... mine ;) He'll be 17. I'm only playing, thank you for a great explanation. I'm really starting to get excited. I had grown non-plussed with the large ships. Do you know how late I can board without having a problem?

(I do want to take advantage of our time in Stockholm).

The one thing you have to appreciate is the pace--no lining up, no rushing to buffets, no big shows, no crowds, no need to save seats, no kids, ....

I have been on six Windstar cruises, and there have been children on each one except the first, which was a charter.

Forgive me, I am not anti-children, I have my own and grand kids too. And yes, I have certainly seen teens and even younger ones on my Windstar cruises but it is still different. No kid focussed activities, arcades, pool games, discos, (do they still call them that?), jockeying for positions at meals or for deck chairs. From what I have seen, the kids adapt well to the different pace and the expectations of them. And I suspect that the parents know their kids well enough to know if they are suited to a Windstar style cruise.

as for how late to board, we have boarded virtually at departure time due to a late flight arrival in Saint Maarten and the ship has waited for later arrivals if they know there is a winter storm and where people are coming from. If the ship is close to the city, check in and then go wandering back into town. Check in is really informal and fast--remember, there aren't 3000 people to organize. Certainly, 2 hours before departure is plenty in my opinion. We are doing Venice to Rome in a few weeks and between sitting on the ship for a few hours waiting for it to leave and wandering Venice, I will take Venice. We will probably dump the bags and then enjoy our last tastes of Venice.

Forgive me, I am not anti-children, I have my own and grand kids too. And yes, I have certainly seen teens and even younger ones on my Windstar cruises but it is still different. No kid focussed activities, arcades, pool games, discos, (do they still call them that?), jockeying for positions at meals or for deck chairs. From what I have seen, the kids adapt well to the different pace and the expectations of them. And I suspect that the parents know their kids well enough to know if they are suited to a Windstar style cruise.

I'm so sorry. I was just joking around. I did not take offense in anyway and I'm sorry if I made it sound that way.

as for how late to board, we have boarded virtually at departure time due to a late flight arrival in Saint Maarten and the ship has waited for later arrivals if they know there is a winter storm and where people are coming from. If the ship is close to the city, check in and then go wandering back into town. Check in is really informal and fast--remember, there aren't 3000 people to organize. Certainly, 2 hours before departure is plenty in my opinion. We are doing Venice to Rome in a few weeks and between sitting on the ship for a few hours waiting for it to leave and wandering Venice, I will take Venice. We will probably dump the bags and then enjoy our last tastes of Venice.

We've done land travel to Rome 3 times and once to Venice. If there is anything I can help with, please let me know. thank you for all the information!