Caribbean Princess Feb. 2015

mellon1

We were originally booked on the Ruby as Emerald is doing Huston and have now been switched over to the Caribbean, as it is taking over Ruby's itinery. After reading reviews of the Caribbean, we don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling. It has been years since we were on I think when it just was a year old. We are staying in suite D736 on the back and going for 30 days. We hate to be there for 30 days and have a terrible experience. Anyone know if Suite D736 is the same as D736 on Ruby? Pictures of balcony? Who is the Maitre D?We are so sad that the Emerald is not doing is old itinery. We have cruised her multiple times and consider her home to us. Service and entire trip always exceeded our standards. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

It appears you have sailed on the 10 day Emerald winter cruises as we have. This is very personal, but if I never sail on the CB again it will be too soon.

Why not consider the same 10 day itineraries the Emerald was doing, but on the Royal? We really enjoy the two 10 days itineraries and love the Royal.

Good luck with your decision...

Lew

Lew,

Thanks for the reply. We love the Emerald and its itinery. After reading all the reviews about the Royal and my brother-in-law and our friends, both different sailings, came back with very negative reviews, we hate to spend all the money only to be disappointed. We like to get the suite in the back and there is no cover on the Royal/Regal, also the balconies have become much smaller in width especially. They were not even able to turn their chairs to look at the ocean and they stayed in a suite on the side of the ship. Both of them said they would never do it again.

I was hoping to love Royal because of the itinery, but unfortunately do not want to take a gamble on a cruise that we will not enjoy. After I broke my ankle I cannot do stairs too much or I will have to wear my boot again and cannot walk.

I think Princess is changing the itinery on the Royal to try to get more people to go. There are many people who take B2B or longer on that trip.

What was wrong with the Caribbean if you don't mind me asking

Edited by mellon1
adding

Not sure what you have against the Caribbean Princess but we have traveled on her and really enjoyed the cruise. The Caribbean Princess is scheduled for a dry dock next month and will get spruced up. We have a B2B scheduled later this year and are looking forward to it as the ship was very nice. No negative comments to give about the ship.

We were switched for next year also. Doing 2- 7 day trips and one 5 day. Like the ports and the size of the ship rather than switch to the Royal. I don't really like mega ships. Never been on the Caribbean but hoping we will like it. Getting out of Nebraska for 19 days in Feb has to trump the negatives of the Caribbean!!! (Hoping anyway!)

Thanks for the reply. We love the Emerald and its itinery. After reading all the reviews about the Royal and my brother-in-law and our friends, both different sailings, came back with very negative reviews, we hate to spend all the money only to be disappointed. We like to get the suite in the back and there is no cover on the Royal/Regal, also the balconies have become much smaller in width especially. They were not even able to turn their chairs to look at the ocean and they stayed in a suite on the side of the ship. Both of them said they would never do it again.

With respect to cover on aft suite balconies, it really depends which deck you're on as coverage varies. We were on an aft suite balcony on Dolphin deck for a Venice sail-away and coverage was quite good.

On the TA we sailed in an S4 suite on Riviera deck and I have to agree with you about the narrow balcony. On grand class ships we love Caribe deck cabins and their huge balcony. Although the balcony on the Royal was a disappointment, it was not a deal-breaker for us because we love just about everything else about the ship.

What was wrong with the Caribbean if you don't mind me asking

For our one and only cruise on the CB, she was in pretty tough shape and had propulsion issues. We missed a port and port calls were shortened. Since then she has had occasional propulsion and other issues. That cruise just left us with bad feelings about the CB.

I realize others have no issues with the CB and that's great! With so many other ships available, I just don't want to tempt fate.

Lew

Seamanfs - See you are from Bellevue, Nebraska. Spent 7 years there on 2 different tours with the USAF. Really like that area. Maybe we will meet up on a cruise some day. Agree, getting out of there in February will be great.

Yes my husband is retired USAF also. We stayed on as our girls were in school at the time and my husband went to work for Northrup Gruman before retiring about 10 yrs ago.