Heads up for people boarding granduer tommorow

Seen this online thought I would post for anyone boarding grandeur tommorow

Norovirus suspected aboard Grandeur of the Seas

Published On:*Apr 11 2014 03:37:26 PM EDT*

Updated On:*Apr 11 2014 05:46:03 PM EDT

Share on facebookShare on twitter

BALTIMORE -

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating a suspected norovirus outbreak aboard the Baltimore-based Grandeur of the Seas.

The CDC reports 105 of the 2,928 passengers and crew have fallen ill during the Royal Caribbean ship's latest voyage. The ship is set to return to the Port of Baltimore on Saturday morning, where it will undergo extensive cleaning.

The company has notified all passengers of the next cruise that they will not be allowed to board the ship until 4 p.m.; however, the cruise is expected to proceed as scheduled.

http://m.wbaltv.com/news/norovirus-suspected-aboard-grandeur-of-the-seas/25436750

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

Edited by luv2cruiserccl

A day late and a dollar short as the saying goes.........somebody beat ya to it

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2024442

Explains why when I did a search to see if anyone else had posted nothing showed up because they did not put name of ship in subject...I would of not posted if I would of seen it...so not sure what to tell ya fireman:thumbdown:

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating a suspected norovirus outbreak aboard the Baltimore-based Grandeur of the Seas.

The CDC reports 105 of the 2,928 passengers and crew have fallen ill during the Royal Caribbean ship's latest voyage. The ship is set to return to the Port of Baltimore on Saturday morning, where it will undergo extensive cleaning.

Lets see... Looking at my handy calculator; this works out to a "HUGE" 3.5% of the people sick or having symptoms..... :rolleyes: Duhhh, there were probably a higher number with the common cold or flu on-board. As soon as Noro is mentioned, people seem to get all paranoid.... :confused:

From the CDC website:

"...Cruise Ship: Grandeur of the Seas

Voyage Dates: April 5-12, 2014 (See also previous voyage posting – March 28 to April 5, 2014)

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 97 of 2120 (4.58%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 8 of 808 (0.99%)..."

-copied from http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2014/april12_grandeur_seas.htm

Edited by Salacia

Lets see... Looking at my handy calculator; this works out to a "HUGE" 3.5% of the people sick or having symptoms..... :rolleyes: Duhhh, there were probably a higher number with the common cold or flu on-board. As soon as Noro is mentioned, people seem to get all paranoid.... :confused:
I am guessing that you have never had noro or you might get paranoid also. I'd take 2 colds AND the flu rather than get noro again. An answer to telling the difference between food poisoning and noro: with food poisoning you at least have a chance of making it to the bathroom in time:mad:. The only slightly bright spot is that noro active symptoms are pretty much limited to 36 hours.

Not sure what numbers you are looking at to arrive at 3.5%. CDC reports 4.58%

Edited by TravelerThom

I am guessing that you have never had noro or you might get paranoid also. I'd take 2 colds AND the flu rather than get noro again. An answer to telling the difference between food poisoning and noro: with food poisoning you at least have a chance of making it to the bathroom in time:mad:. The only slightly bright spot is that noro active symptoms are pretty much limited to 36 hours.

Not sure what numbers you are looking at to arrive at 3.5%. CDC reports 4.58%

I have had Noro, but not on a ship. I tend to be more careful in the crowded conditions of a ship. Not pleasant, but one can reduce the odds of getting it on a ship by practicing good hygene. The 4.58% is the percentage of passengers who got sick. They did not include the crew who had a lot lower percentage of sickness. When the number of sick is measured against the TOTAL number onboard, it was 3.5% (105/2928). If you don't know why there was a higher percentage of passengers getting sick, you have not spent too much time observing the hygene practices of passengers on the ships. Many are not careful and as a result are the first to get sick when the virus is brought onboard.

Edited by edjny