Have DUI, can I get off ship in Victoria BC

I read on this forum before where a former Canadian Border Patrol agent said it was not their mission to deny entry to passengers with minor convictions (DUI etc.) because if they did, it would ruin the cruise industry and tourism for Canada, which means revenue loss.

:D Good one! Of course, maybe that's why he is a former CBPA. He wasn't doing his job.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried to enter Canada? I'm a born Canadian and I get hassled and I don't have any police record. Quite the opposite. Trust me, they get plenty of tourists without a record. A DUI in Canada is a major offense.

:D Good one! Of course, maybe that's why he is a former CBPA. He wasn't doing his job.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried to enter Canada? I'm a born Canadian and I get hassled and I don't have any police record. Quite the opposite.

Well I am happy to hear that they are do a good job trying to keep you fence jumping riffraff out of the country. :D

I'm assuming this isn't much of an issue on Canadian cruises because with the 10's of thousands of cruise passengers

You are assuming incorrectly.

Last two cruises to Canada at check in we had to fill out a Canadian Immigration (or Border, forgot the exact "ministry" or agency" )form for our family including identifying information and declaring any crime being convicted of.

On the Splendor 7/14 they didn't process them because we were diverted to Bermuda as Hurricane Arthur went up the east coast. They told us to take the forms home for shredding when they were returned to the Cabin.

On the Glory we had a couple at our table that the gentlemen was denied entry. The ship purser, I mean someone from Customer Service told him Canada had contacted them and he was not allowed to leave the ship at Saint John's Newfoundland.

So don't assume and all that...

I'm assuming this isn't much of an issue on Canadian cruises because with the 10's of thousands of cruise passengers going into Canada each year, I'm not hearing too many people with a "minor" conviction in their past say that they were denied entry via cruise ship.

With all the cruisers going into Canada, there is certainly a percentage of people on each cruise with a conviction of some type and all of these people are not being denied entry. We would've heard about it big time.

I read on this forum before where a former Canadian Border Patrol agent said it was not their mission to deny entry to passengers with minor convictions (DUI etc.) because if they did, it would ruin the cruise industry and tourism for Canada, which means revenue loss.

If anyone has a "minor conviction" and you cruised into Canada in 2015, please tell us your story. Were you denied entry or hassled, or were there no issues and you were welcomed into Canada and told to enjoy your visit.

Sorry, but you assumption is incorrect. Passengers with "minor" offenses are denied disembarkation in Canada all the time... and no it doesn't make national news. We cruised R/T out of Seattle last year. Family member has DUI from 7 years ago. He knew it would be an issue getting off the ship in Canada and wasn't even going to try to disembark. He and about 5-10 others were called to meet as soon as the ship docked. They all had to meet with Canadian officials, one at a time, and they were all denied entry. Happens all the time. Not a big deal if you cruise RT out of Seattle, as long as you know what to expect. Some of the folks were caught off guard but most knew they would be denied entry. No biggie - they just had dinner on the ship. We were only there for a few hours because we arrived later than expected. Good luck and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread, but I believe it will still help people. I searched and searched for answers on this topic and never really found any updated useful information.

We were on the Ruby Princess that set sail and returned to Seattle. We stopped in Victoria on the last day from 7pm - midnight.

You will walk off your ship, through the customs building (which is basically a souvenir shop) without anyone asking you for anything. They ask for your cruise card when you return to the ship. No one even asked us for our passports (but your cruise card is used as your passport anyway).

We obsessed for MONTHS over what was going to happen. But it was very easy and there were NO problems.

We obsessed for MONTHS over what was going to happen. But it was very easy and there were NO problems.

If I may ask, when did you cruise and I assume someone in your party had some form of a conviction? If so, when was the conviction?

If I may ask, when did you cruise and I assume someone in your party had some form of a conviction? If so, when was the conviction?

We cruised the last week of June 2015. Yes, someone in our party had a dui conviction from 2009.

The person you traveled with was lucky - this time. They may not be next time! CBSA personnel ARE in Victoria, ALWAYS, you may not see them at the 'souvenir stand' because they are on-board interviewing people who were flagged as having a relevant record, processing folks disembarking in Victoria, or doing other higher priority tasks than just being seen.

Your companion may have been traveling with passport or passport card not driving license & birth cert and their driving record is not flagged to passport (yet); their conviction may not have been added to relevant database(s) (yet) depending on the jurisdiction it happened in, how serious the offense is there, how up-to-date their processes are; there could have been an error; or because it was over 5 years ago and they are therefore eligible to be 'deemed rehabilitated' it's even possible that CBSA did know your buddy had a DUI and preemptively decided (s)he was low enough risk to admit without an interview.

In other words there are many reasons why you didn't see CBSA personnel on your trip - but all the prior info on this thread and others remains true, anyone with a record including some minor/misdemeanour offences in the US or other countries can be classes as having committed a criminal code offence by Canadian standards. People are refused entry every day.

• 2 months later...

I can't speak for anybody else's experience, but here is mine.

I just got back (Oct. 18, 2015) from a RCI cruise to New England with stops in Saint John, NB and Halifax, NS. I had a DUI in 1994 (21 yrs. ago). Nothing before, nothing since.

I entered into Canada this week with no problems at all. We just walked off the ship with our sea pass card, passport and that was it. No questions, no interviews, no paper work, nothing.

I had also previously been on a Alaskan cruise (Princess) in 2007 with a stop in Victoria, BC and again just walked off the ship with no problems or questions.

Hopefully this information may help someone who is cruising into Canada in 2016, but all circumstances may be different especially if you have a more recent conviction?

With an offece that occur some 21 years ago and with no further offences you would be deemed to be rehabilitated under Canadian law and there should never be a problem for you entering Canada....in fact you are deemed habilitated after 10 years. The issue lies in the fact that Canadian CBSA officers like US CBP officers have absolute discretion as to who is admissible to their respective countries. That said, thanks for sharing your experience.

With an offense that occurred some 21 years ago and with no further offenses you would be deemed to be rehabilitated under Canadian law and there should never be a problem for you entering Canada....in fact you are deemed rehabilitated after 10 years. The issue lies in the fact that Canadian CBSA officers like US CBP officers have absolute discretion as to who is admissible to their respective countries. That said, thanks for sharing your experience.

It is funny that people think police have so much power. You want power? Cross an international border. Anywhere. Even though you have done nothing wrong you still feel like have to prove yourself. And you do.

I have been harassed driving across the US/Canadian border because I didn't have a Canadian passport. Not that I needed one. I am a dual citizen and had my valid US one. I was there an extra 5 minutes while he discussed this subject. He belittled me for no reason other than he could.

My 85 YO mother was driving from Vancouver to Bellingham, Washington. She told the US guy she was driving down to get gas. He literally made her get out of the car so he could check to see if she really needed gas. Now that guy was on a power trip!

Unbelievably I was told a story by a hearing aid doctor the other day. Years ago, he was entering Vancouver with his wife and young son. There was nobody in the long back and forth line at the Immigration stop. So they scooted under the belts rather than go back and forth. There was nobody ahead of them. A security guard stopped this man. He wasn't even an immigration officer. For punishment of ducking under the straps, he told him to put a rubber orange cone (like you see for caution signs) on his head and stand facing the corner for 5 minutes. He felt he had no choice and did so just for the honor of entering Canada. I asked why he didn't ask to speak to a supervisor. This honest person said he just wanted it be over and feared he would not be allowed in and didn't want to ruin his family's vacation. Disgusting abuse of power. It made me ashamed that someone entering Canada had to be disrespected this way.

NEN, you and I re both of an age that we can remember when .... passports weren't necessary, the questions went along the line "where are you off to", "how long are you going to be in the country" and "have a good time". Sadly things have changed and we all can recite horror stories of interactions with customs officers on both sides of the border. They do fill a very important role in a country's security but there are times that they do abuse their power. However, I prefer to remember the good guys like the young female CBP officer in the NEXUS lane last fall asking "what's the plan" and "have a good winter" or the officer at Port Everglades in January who scanned my passport and said "I guess you are heading back to AZ" and "I see tomorrow is a big day for you.....Happy Birthday" I was turning 70.:)

NEN, you and I re both of an age that we can remember when .... passports weren't necessary, the questions went along the line "where are you off to", "how long are you going to be in the country" and "have a good time". Sadly things have changed and we all can recite horror stories of interactions with customs officers on both sides of the border. They do fill a very important role in a country's security but there are times that they do abuse their power. However, I prefer to remember the good guys like the young female CBP officer in the NEXUS lane last fall asking "what's the plan" and "have a good winter" or the officer at Port Everglades in January who scanned my passport and said "I guess you are heading back to AZ" and "I see tomorrow is a big day for you.....Happy Birthday" I was turning 70.:)

I don't disagree they are a necessity. For the most part there are few issues but when you get the newbies that think they know it all or those that abuse people it is sad. My point of the stories were only to emphasize that those custom/immigration guys can and do make their own decisions at the point of contact and the word is final. Where one person with a DUI can get through the next guy may very well be denied boarding. It is foolish indeed for anyone to assume that you do not need to do your due diligence.

Just as a note: Putter - you mentioned on another thread about waving when a ship went past you. Ummm, I feel so unloved. You won't be waving to me? Sob, heavy tear, almost crying. Really? I'll pretend to wave to you :p. But baby, I love YOU! LOL.

If only we could meet up in person. What wonderful stories we would have. If we ever sail together... world watch out. Our next cruise is a California cruise in April. Not interested in that? I promise not to do anything to embarrass you. Seriously, nothing! :eek:

Yes, we will be away from here on Sunday so the wave will have to wait for another time.....actually for you it would be a full Monty.:D With the

Star on a clear day we can see her sail around Point Gray and on to the Strait of Juan de Fucia....but she is a bit to far away for a wave....or a Monty....actually the neighbours really kind prefer a wave instead of the Monty...I'm not sure why.:confused:

Yes, it would be great fun for a couple of old dudes from the Shore (as my kids call it now) to sail together sometime. I am sure that we know a lot of the same people and how some us stayed out of reform school or jail....I really don't know.

Yes, we will be away from here on Sunday so the wave will have to wait for another time.....actually for you it would be a full Monty.:D With the

Star on a clear day we can see her sail around Point Gray and on to the Strait of Juan de Fucia....but she is a bit to far away for a wave....or a Monty....actually the neighbours really kind prefer a wave instead of the Monty...I'm not sure why.:confused:

Yes, it would be great fun for a couple of old dudes from the Shore (as my kids call it now) to sail together sometime. I am sure that we know a lot of the same people and how some us stayed out of reform school or jail....I really don't know.

LOL. My brothers had a house on Westview Drive. Right at the curve where they put the DUI checks up. The parties were legendary as they were still teenagers (mom gave them the house) and how many teenagers do YOU know that have their own house. Pretty much ever teenager in North Van knew them and quite a few from West Van. Certainly the RCMP knew the house. It was a fun time to be had by all. You never knew, really you never knew, who would answer the phone. Ahh, those were the days. We went to Handsworth by the way.

I do look forward to the day I see the fully Monte though :).

We are booked on a closed-loop from Seattle next July. My DUI was 9 years ago, will be 10 years by cruise time. Will I not be allowed to get off the ship in Victoria? It's no biggie if I can't but I want to know how to plan. I'd hate to book an excursion and loose the money. ;)

We are booked on a closed-loop from Seattle next July. My DUI was 9 years ago, will be 10 years by cruise time. Will I not be allowed to get off the ship in Victoria? It's no biggie if I can't but I want to know how to plan. I'd hate to book an excursion and loose the money. ;)

If the DUI is a misdemeanour offence in your state then there is no issue as it won't be on your record. If not the check your record and see if the charge is there....if not then there is no problem. If it is on your record and you were convicted more than 10 before your arrival in Victoria then again there should not not be a problem....however, as I have said before the CBSA officer who looks at your file or your record makes the final decision. Bottom line, there are a great number things you can do Victoria without an excursion so I would remain flexible if it were me.....sorry I can't give a 100% answer.

We are booked on a closed-loop from Seattle next July. My DUI was 9 years ago, will be 10 years by cruise time. QUOTE]

If you've had no issues before or since your DUI 9 years ago and it was a misdemeanor, my "personal opinion" is that you will have no problems getting off the ship in Victoria and will be welcomed with open arms.

However, if you still are worried about pre-booking a shore excursion, then as others have said, Victoria is a great city to walk around in, rent a car or book an excursion once you get off the ship as there are plenty of vendors looking for business.

Enjoy your cruise in 2016 and come back and write about the outcome because it helps others with their situations.

We are booked on a closed-loop from Seattle next July. My DUI was 9 years ago, will be 10 years by cruise time. QUOTE]

If you've had no issues before or since your DUI 9 years ago and it was a misdemeanor, my "personal opinion" is that you will have no problems getting off the ship in Victoria and will be welcomed with open arms.

However, if you still are worried about pre-booking a shore excursion, then as others have said, Victoria is a great city to walk around in, rent a car or book an excursion once you get off the ship as there are plenty of vendors looking for business.

Enjoy your cruise in 2016 and come back and write about the outcome because it helps others with their situations.

Your personal opinion is useless unless you not only work for the Canadian government but will be the guy to open your arms for him. He might not only have to worry about not doing a shore excursion but likely he won't even be allowed to board the ship.

Here's a link to the process to apply for rehabilitation. Unless it has been a full ten years since your sentence was completed, you are NOT eligible to be Deemed Rehabilitated. Date of the offence or even court appearance are not the relevant factors - only the latest date of when any fine was paid, incarceration/probation/suspension dependent on good behaviour ended does the clock start ticking.

However, if it has been FIVE years since that date you can make the application. Unless you have access to your record, you have no way of knowing whether or not your offense shows up. I've run background checks for potential volunteers to work with vulnerable people and I can personally attest to details of pardoned offences, misdemeanours, juvenile offences, and even charges that were never formally filed coming up on peoples records from over 20 years prior.

Since you have at least eight months I'd suggest checking with your local PD about having a criminal background check done so you can find out whether or not it does show up - and if it does, whether or not you feel it's worth the cost and time of the process to guarantee you being able to enter Canada with your DUI or if you're willing to skip visiting us for a while yet.