UK cruisers - booking last minute

Hi everyone,

We have a cruise booked for Sept on Indy for 2 weeks, but are also looking to get away the end of May/June just for a week.

There are a couple of cruises we have our eye on, but one in particular on the Splendor at the end of May.

It looks as though there are only interior cabins available from the RC site (we don't mind, we have a balcony booked in Sept and this really is just a quick, cheap (hopefully) getaway)... I was just wondering for those in the UK who tend to book last minute to get a good deal how long you leave it before booking?

One week before travel? Or will the cruise be full then? When do they close the bookings? When the ship is full or so many days prior to sailing? Do you go via RC directly or do you find the best last minutes deals are via a travel agent?

We've never booked a cruise last minute before, so I am just wondering what tactics people use to get the best deal.

My DH thinks we should give another line a try, but the Splendor itinary is really great, so if we can get a steal then I think it would persuade DH to hold out for this cruise rather than the others he is looking at....

Thanks in anticipation for any advice you are able to give me.

:)

Hi everyone,

We have a cruise booked for Sept on Indy for 2 weeks, but are also looking to get away the end of May/June just for a week.

There are a couple of cruises we have our eye on, but one in particular on the Splendor at the end of May.

It looks as though there are only interior cabins available from the RC site (we don't mind, we have a balcony booked in Sept and this really is just a quick, cheap (hopefully) getaway)... I was just wondering for those in the UK who tend to book last minute to get a good deal how long you leave it before booking?

One week before travel? Or will the cruise be full then? When do they close the bookings? When the ship is full or so many days prior to sailing? Do you go via RC directly or do you find the best last minutes deals are via a travel agent?

We've never booked a cruise last minute before, so I am just wondering what tactics people use to get the best deal.

My DH thinks we should give another line a try, but the Splendor itinary is really great, so if we can get a steal then I think it would persuade DH to hold out for this cruise rather than the others he is looking at....

Thanks in anticipation for any advice you are able to give me.

:)

The TA's in UK aren't able to offer cruises any cheaper than RCI. Probably better to check with RCI & ask what obc they can offer you & see if any TA's can offer more. I've booked approx 2 weeks before & got a good deal but hard to say how long deals for May/June will last. We've been on Splendour before & although much smaller ship the staff & service were exceptional & our itinerary was great also.

Hope you manage to get a bargain.

We were on Splendour last year and got an amazing deal through a US travel agent, and even got a price drop. I watched prices as we had booked early and the UK price was twice what we paid, the price in the UK did not come down much close to sailing but I did notice a german online TA prices reduced after final payment. I would have a look at European online agencies. I have noticed with other cruises leaving from European ports that prices reduce close to sailing for cruisers living nearer to the port.

I book with an American TA and nearly always get cheaper prices and perks such as OBC and free meals etc.

A recent example is that I've just booked the May transatlantic on Independence of the Seas. It was £1890 for 2 people with RCI in the UK and only £1012 for. 2 people with RCI in the USA or a USA travel agent.

I booked it with the USA travel agency and also got $200 on board credit.

We used a US TA too. Our May trip on Indy was quoted as £1300 each by a leading UK TA for a balcony stateroom and the US agent did it for £620 each with $75.00 OBC. We also got a brilliant price drop too.

Needless to say we shall be using them in future.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

That included the flights. I'm sorry but I don't think we can name travel agents or else we get banned.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but are those flights from the UK? Our US TA said they couldn't arrange flights from the UK for our May 2015 trip. Your agent sounds really great.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but are those flights from the UK? Our US TA said they couldn't arrange flights from the UK for our May 2015 trip. Your agent sounds really great.

US TA's are able to offer one way flights to/from UK for transatlantic sailings I think this is what the previous poster had booked. Don't think they can offer this for return european flights from UK.

US TA's are able to offer one way flights to/from UK for transatlantic sailings I think this is what the previous poster had booked. Don't think they can offer this for return european flights from UK.

Ah that makes sense- thanks very much