On board currency exchange

We are taking back to back cruises on Celebrity that will take in New Zealand, Australia, New Caledonia, and Vanuatu. Being our first time, does any one have suggestions on how to handle currency? Exchange before we leave?

How does Celebrity handle on board exchange? Any Fees?

Thank you for any advice.

We are taking back to back cruises on Celebrity that will take in New Zealand, Australia, New Caledonia, and Vanuatu. Being our first time, does any one have suggestions on how to handle currency? Exchange before we leave?

How does Celebrity handle on board exchange? Any Fees?

Thank you for any advice.

I suggest you take in to account which way the dollars will swing. After that you may decide to buy now or to wait. If you wait, I suggest getting some cash at an ATM in your first port of call for each Country, there are cards that attract no international fees on cash advances but you will still have the banks exchange rate. Also the ATM fee if applicable. These rates will (should) still be better than the ship's exchange rates.

good luck.:D

I agree with Mick. The ship has a bit of a premium on exchange rates. I would also make sure you split your money and have a back up as well. Also watch out for fees on cash advances! Even debit cards can be a bit complex sometimes.

As far as money exchange, the way I understand how cards work, is that currencies get converted to US$ and then to the currency you are looking to get. For example if you get some AU$ before you go, and then use that to change to NZ$ it will be a lot more expensive than just having the US$ and doing the single exchange.

So it depends how much you are looking to spend in each place. Some of the islands are happy to accept US$ and AU$ even if they have a different currency. They will skew the rate in their favour of course, but it means you will not have that one time use currency to take home for no purpose. If you add that useless change into the equation, and figure that some of the stuff on the islands is pretty cheap (not all), then just rounding to the US$ works out better in the long run and you give the local guy a bit instead of the bank.

Edited by goodycruising

The Aussie dollar is better than the NZ dollar, so if you use a credit card or withdraw cash from an ATM in NZ you shouldn't lose any money, in fact your will probably make money.

We used Aussie dollars in Vanuatu, so that just leaves New Caledonia and depending on what port you stop at you may need different currency.

We took USD on an RCI (sister line to Celebrity) and just used it to pay the account at the end of the cruise, but based on how much you might spend often it's not worth bothering as all of your onboard expenses are charged to your room and you pay at the end, so if you get a 28 degrees master card with no annual fee and no international currency exchange fee you can minimise the currency exchange costs. Even if you purchase USD in australia through a broker you will get charged a conversion fee and depending on the exchange rate on the day it all adds up.

The Aussie dollar is better than the NZ dollar, so if you use a credit card or withdraw cash from an ATM in NZ you shouldn't lose any money, in fact your will probably make money.

We used Aussie dollars in Vanuatu, so that just leaves New Caledonia and depending on what port you stop at you may need different currency.

We took USD on an RCI (sister line to Celebrity) and just used it to pay the account at the end of the cruise, but based on how much you might spend often it's not worth bothering as all of your onboard expenses are charged to your room and you pay at the end, so if you get a 28 degrees master card with no annual fee and no international currency exchange fee you can minimise the currency exchange costs. Even if you purchase USD in australia through a broker you will get charged a conversion fee and depending on the exchange rate on the day it all adds up.

This card has recently introduced a fee on cash advances. Cash Advance Fee= 3% of the cash advance or $4 (whichever is greater)

Sorry I should have been clearer in my response. You can use a visa debit and withdraw cash from an atm in NZ and because the aussie dollar is better you won't lose any money. I wasn't suggesting to use the 28degrees card as it is a credit card for cash withdrawals, rather for credit transactions - only because it is a more cost effective credit card without the usual international fees.

Acknowledging also that if you do multiple cash withdraws using a visa debit you will get multiple international transaction fees, so try to limit the number of transactions as well OR use the 28degrees credit card and pay it off when you get home to avoid interest charges.

Sorry I should have been clearer in my response. You can use a visa debit and withdraw cash from an atm in NZ and because the aussie dollar is better you won't lose any money. I wasn't suggesting to use the 28degrees card as it is a credit card for cash withdrawals, rather for credit transactions - only because it is a more cost effective credit card without the usual international fees.

Acknowledging also that if you do multiple cash withdraws using a visa debit you will get multiple international transaction fees, so try to limit the number of transactions as well OR use the 28degrees credit card and pay it off when you get home to avoid interest charges.

I load the card up prior to departure so it is used more like a debit card as cash withdrawals do incur interest charges straight away when using credit (just like most credit cards).:D

Edited by MicCanberra

MicCanberra

Oh yeah really good point, that's another great option with 28degrees card.... loading cash on it. I like that.

The great thing is that you can budget really well with it used like that but still have emergency money if required.:D

I load the card up prior to departure so it is used more like a debit card as cash withdrawals do incur interest charges straight away when using credit (just like most credit cards).:D

I was considering prepaid credit cards. Maybe your suggestion is a better option! :) thanks.