Southern Gentlemen

cruiser gilly

Counting the seconds until some New Englander makes some snide comment about the stupidity of Texas men and their demeaning of a true independent Womyn by forcing them to be served by the heternormative patriarchal culture!

As a New Englander since birth who married a southern boy who's Momma taught him right I almost take offense at this. My independent self knows I can open my own door but I don't need to. My strength as a woman has nothing to do with door handles. I like being treated with respect as a lady. And this world would be a much nicer place if we were all just a little kinder and respectful to each other.

Sounds like a trip out of Galveston will make it on my cruise bucket list. An entire ship of southerners, yep, sign me up! I could listen to them read the phone book all day!

Although we just grow up learning this stuff in the South, courtesy should be the norm no matter where you live. In my opinion, it is slowly becoming a thing of the past. I know there are courteous, kind people everywhere and there are also rude jerks everywhere, but courtesy will get you a lot farther no matter where you live.

Life long New Englander here too. I have always held a door open for someone to go first. Male , female, younger , older , some one with their hands full .

Sure there are going to be those who just walk by and not say Thank You. those people are EVERYWHERE. Alomost always I will get a smile, or a "Thank You" or a "Have a Nice Day"

I have never had a woman light up a Virginia Slim, sing me a chorus of "I Am Woman" (Boy am I dating myself *LOL*) and chastise me for demeaning her.

Thanks to you and the OP for the nice comments about us here in our great state. I am sure Texans are not the only ones who act this way, and no matter who it is, it makes such a difference when you are nice to people, kind of like going to the grocery store and pulling out a basket to offer it to the next lady coming along, puts a smile on both faces..:)

Almost every time I go to the grocery store I come to a little traffic jam in an aisle where one or two people have their carriages in the aisle while they are looking for something on the shelf, or when you are turning out of one aisle into the main front or back aisle to turn to go down the next aisle .

I always let the other person through and make a joke . "Hey they need a light at this corner or a traffic cop" :) I have never not had someone laugh, smile, nod in agreement , or say thank you.

Politeness is an everyday thing here in the south . Please , Thank You , after you , are heard every where you go , shopping ,movies , shows

along with yall , and we have lunch and supper . We have to think a minute when some one says Dinner .

DH opens door for people (and he was raised in VA, but got here as fast as he could :p). I find that if I treat people the way I want to be treated or better yet, how I want my mom or daughters treated, people are nice everywhere. Even as a 49 year old woman, I'll hold the door open for the person behind me, pull a cart out at the grocery store, and push the button to call the elevator for people at the hospital where I work. It's the right thing to do. Smile and be nice. It's easy and makes the day go better.

I love cruising out of Galveston because people are so nice. I hate cruising out of Galveston in the winter because of the fog.

I live in good ole Alabama, but did live in Texas for a few years and those folks are a pretty good bunch. I thought that even the highways in Texas were friendlier.

Even when you're doing 75+mph and are being passed on both sides:D

With the announcement today that RCI's Liberty of the Seas will sail out of Galveston in 2015/2016, we will definitely be sailing out of there again. We LOVE Liberty of the Seas, and have sailed her 4 times. We will definitely book a LOS cruise out of Galveston as soon as the itineraries are released. :D:D

I too love cruising with my fellow Texans but as another posted, getting from the airport to Galveston is a pain!

As our state becomes more diluted with people moving in from all over, I have noticed a difference.

I am just glad that for the most part, everyone enjoys visiting our great state. And yes, we know, people have manners all over the world, it's not just geographical.

Funny story, I was visiting my son on his job the other day. He works at Target. An older gentleman walked up an said something to him and my son replied back to him "yes sir." The old man said not to call him sir, that his father was a sir. Now I must say, this old man was in fact "old" so it surprised me. I told him I raised him right, and he better be calling him a sir (of course until told to do differently). It turns out this man was from California lol.

Anyways, we all can appreciate kindness, manners and hospitality and chivalry. It doesn't matter where you live or born & raised...it's in your raising.

Some of the friendliest people I have met were in Long Island, NY. The rudest-Las Vegas and you guessed it, Miami, Fl.

As our commercials say on the tv here, Be friendly, company's comin'. :)

And I must say there are many Texan gentlemen who will tip their hats and give you a pleasant "ma'am" as you walk by. I miss that the most.

It's just different in Texas and you can't really explain why. Only Texans know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a great thread:) I have cruised many many times…but the one time I left out of Galveston was amazing! The ship was the friendliest I have ever been on…even down to the young people…it was a great experience:):):)

We are friendly here in NC…but the people on that ship were over and above…polite, smiling and just nice:)

Funny story, I was visiting my son on his job the other day. He works at Target. An older gentleman walked up an said something to him and my son replied back to him "yes sir." The old man said not to call him sir, that his father was a sir. Now I must say, this old man was in fact "old" so it surprised me. I told him I raised him right, and he better be calling him a sir (of course until told to do differently). It turns out this man was from California lol.

I've been married for almost 15 1/2 years and I STILL look around to see if my MIL's in the room when somebody calls me "Mrs. (Lastname)". Or "ma'am". I ain't that old! Not yet!

I've been married for almost 15 1/2 years and I STILL look around to see if my MIL's in the room when somebody calls me "Mrs. (Lastname)". Or "ma'am". I ain't that old! Not yet!

*LOL*

I immediately tell everyone I meet to call me by my first name . After 12 years of Catholic schools , I always remember being called "Mr. (lastname)" was usually followed by a whack with a ruler *LOL*

Funny story. I have lived in the great state of Texas all my life. I work for a large utilities company. We have an office in Denver. One of my co-workers from Texas was in the Denver office. He held the door open for a lady....she filed sexual harassment on him.

It's kind of funny how different parts of the country view things. I have to travel to Denver often. I sit back and watch men not being polite to their wives all the time. They will walk out of the door first leaving their wife to fend for herself. It irritates the crud out of me.

While I absolutely hate sailing out of Galveston (distance between airport and port being the main reason), I experienced the same.

Lots of steaks served at dinner time too, which made me chuckle.

I've been saying this for years!! I live in Los Angeles, and Galveston is my favorite place to sail from, both because it is way closer to LA than Florida, but more so because Texans are THE BEST people to sail with!!!:D

I only wish that Oasis or Allure could fit in Texas!!!:eek:

I agree with both Jason and PhoenixDawg,

Oh and manners aren't a southern thing, its a how you where raised thing!

AZmike480:D