Can we make this flight to MCO??

talar63

I've found a good rate for an upcoming cruise on the Mariner, but the return flight leaves at 11:15 am. I know the cruise line suggests noon, but do you think this is cutting it too close? A later flight adds abt $75 to the rate or we can leave really late at 6:30. I'd just as soon get home earlier & not have a late arrival home. Any thoughts?

If lucky you'll have your luggage and clear immigration and then customs by 9 or 9:30. Sounds awfully tight to me considering how far to the airport and clearing security. Airports are very busy this year. The cruiselines have alot of experience in this regard.

That's cutting it close. You have to hope everything goes smoothly because if even one thing happens, you would miss that early flight. Look at it this way. The ship has to offload all the luggage, you have to wait until your color tag is called, you have to find your bags in a huge warehouse, stand in a line for Customs, find your transportation to the airport, wait in very long lines to check in, and in another very long line for security. On our last cruise, a group from Mexico didn't report to Immigration on time and everyone was delayed by almost an hour getting off the ship. We didn't start leaving until almost 9:30/

I personally wouldn't risk it ... you are booking on the ship making it back on time, customs being cleared without any hitches, getting your bags, getting your bags to transportation, and a 45 minutes ride. That would be too much for me to worry about for the last two days of my cruise ;).

we just came off the mariner - and booked an afternoon flight (following the guildlines)- but we arrived at MCO beore 10 am - tried to then change to the earlier flight, but couldn't ,since not previously bookedS- we would've made it easly - and that is not having one of the early called departure colors

SO IMHO yes you could make a 11:15 flight- especially if you have ground transportation to pick you up - we used ART's shuttle -

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to take the chance, I suggest that you DON'T put your luggage out in the hall the night before. Instead, lug it off yourself -- obviously, this will require light packing and wheeled luggage. This means you can leave anytime you want without waiting for your "color" to be called.

Also, I'd suggest that you hire a private town car (ahead of time). This means that you'll have someone waiting for you when you step out of the terminal, and you'll zip straight to the airport as fast as possible -- no waiting for the rest of the group, no wrong turns, no rental car to return. This will cost about $100 (including tip), but since you're saving so much on the cost of the airline tickets, it should be worth it.

Finally, you should consider whether you're likely to zip through customs or not. My family of four is made up of all American-borns, we look like one another, we have the same last name, and we buy essentially nothing on the cruise . . . we're easy. I understand that other people's circumstances may require more time.

Archived