Viking Portraits of Southern France: Nice, Lyon, and Pais

rrgator

My wife and I will be taking this cruise from Saturday, May 3 - Friday, May 9, disembarking on Saturday, May 10. We are really looking forward to it. We will be spending 3 nights in Nice before the cruise, Wednesday, April 30 - Friday, May 2, and spending 3 nights in Paris, post cruise, Saturday, May 10 - Monday, May 12, coming back to NOLA on Tuesday, May 12. We will also be in Lyon, on Wednesday, May 7 - 8, with an overnight docking on the 7th.

I am frankly overwhelmed with dining options in Lyon and Paris, not so much Nice, but definitely the other two. :eek: If you look at TripAdvisor, there are over 19,000 restaurants listed for Paris, and Lyon is supposed to be the food capital of the world. It is our first time in both places and I was hoping some of you could give me some ideas for restaurants in all three places. I would prefer places with a more local feel, but am open to any suggestions really.

I appreciate any help.

We took this Viking cruise in 2012 and just loved it!!!

As for restaurants - I find it difficult to recommend since there's such a wide range and so many choices! And if you're from NOLA you know its as difficult as recommending places there as in NYC!!! (We love NOLA!!!)

But all that being said, here's some we enjoyed - not saying they're the best but we enjoyed tem!!

Nice: try the port area, lovely views + great fresh seafood. We shared a great broiled sea bass at Paloma Cantine. Also had a lovely meal at La Maison de Marie on Rue Massena.

Lyon: Quenelles (pike fish) is traditional there. We had lunch at L'Atelier D'Yvonne on Rue de Marronniers - small street filled with restaurants! We decided on lunch and passed on Paul Bocuse's places. [One hint - the full day in Lyon began with a bus/walking tour of the city. After the walking tour the guide said we had 2 choices - return on the bus for lunch on the ship or remain in Lyon. We had decided to have lunch on the rue de Marroniers and I asked about being dropped off near there and they did that - the bus stopped near a bank convenient for those who requested an ATM and also for those wanting lunch in town. It was then a short walk back tothe ship. And remember Lyon is the silk city!!! Fabulous silk scarfs, ties, etc.]

Paris: I'm sure there's isn't a bad meal in Paris - like NOLA!!!! But we splurged at Paul Chene - more of a dining experience than dinner!!! And we already have reservations for this September at Bofingers, DH's favorite! If you like Alsatian food its a great place - but make reservations first!! We haven't eaten at L'Escargot Montorgueil but plan to this year.

Here's my slide show from our cruise and Nice is in the one of Provence ~

Cruise SlideShow

Provence Slide Show

I'm sure you'll be getting many, many restaurant suggestions - so wherever you do east - ENJOY!!!!!!

Thanks, FP. Your posts have been extremely helpful in preparing for our Rhine cruise last December and the Rhone cruise we are taking in 1.5 weeks. Your helpful and entertaining posts are what makes this site great.

rrgator - WOW - thanks SO much!!! I'm just trying to pay back all the fabulous advice/suggestions/ideas I've gotten from CC over the years! Just wish we could meet more passengers on our specific RC! But conversing with any passengers is great!!! So happy I camn help!!!

Have a fabulous cruise!!

We are going on the same cruise but embarking May 18 from Avignon.

Paris is one of our favorite cities and I go to eat the wonderful food.

Our very favorite restaurant is an old classic:

Josephine, Chez Dumonet in the 6th Arr. You need to reserve about 10 days to 2 wks ahead. Their phone is 33 1 45 48 52 40

Get their Duck Confit and the Grand Marnier souffle for dessert.

We also love Les Papilles in the 5th. You can reserve online at lespapilles@hotmail.fr

A small intimate restaurant where the chef prepares one menu for the night. We have eaten there multiple times and never been disappointed.

rrgator: I'm originally from NOLA. My grandparents lived @ corner of Daneel & Dufossat, off St. Charles. We live up in Monroe, LA. Love Paris! If you can't afford Maxim's...try Minim's...right next door. Be sure to have some escargot for me! :)

We embark in Nuremberg May 2 for a Danube cruise with AmaWaterways. I'm pretty well packed and ready! Hope you enjoy your trip! Can't wait to hear about it when we both return.