Getting from the port to Michael Angelo's Cheese Factory

joyus

Is it possible to get to the cheese factory just outside Sorrento from the cruise port or is it too far to travel to get back to the ship (NCL Epic) on time. Also, if it is possible to do, can you do a DIY (train, bus)?

I think, based on the Epic's schedule, that the OP is porting in Naples rather than Sorrento.

If that is the case, the OP can still take the Circumvesuviana line, but you'll need to get to the station (Porta Nolana, not the main Napoli Centrale station) in Naples. Trains leave about every half hour.

Because you are going nearly all the way to Sorrento, your ride on the train will be close to an hour to the stop (Piano di Sorrento) where you get off.

Another option would be to take the hydrofoil to Sorrento, then take the train from there as outlined above.

Thanks so much to both of you. Have you visited this factory? I'm not finding much discussion of this factory on the boards.Is it woth visiting? Will be able to also visit Pompeii as well?

Thanks so much to both of you. Have you visited this factory? I'm not finding much discussion of this factory on the boards.Is it woth visiting? Will be able to also visit Pompeii as well?

Honestly, I'd never heard of it before you posted. It wouldn't be high on my list given all the wonderful things there are to see and do from Naples port. I thought maybe you had a special reason for wanting to go there.

The same train mentioned above (Circumvesuviana line) that would take you to Sorrento also goes to Pompeii. If you get on the line headed to Sorrento, Pompeii is slightly more than half way (about 35-40 minutes, from memory).

Edited by cruisemom42

Honestly, I'd never heard of it before you posted. It wouldn't be high on my list given all the wonderful things there are to see and do from Naples port. I thought maybe you had a special reason for wanting to go there.

The same train mentioned above (Circumvesuviana line) that would take you to Sorrento also goes to Pompeii. If you get on the line headed to Sorrento, Pompeii is slightly more than half way (about 35-40 minutes, from memory).

Wanted to do something different since most tour excursions seem to concentrate on visiting museums, cathedrals, statues which is fine, but I did not want to do that in every port. Seeing this mentioned on Tripadvisor sounded interesting. What did you do in Naples?

What did you do in Naples?
Based on the questions asked here, I'd say the most popular things to do on a port day in Naples are Pompei, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast. Not as common but quite beautiful and worth the trip is the royal palace and gardens at Caserta.

There are all kinds of things to see and do right in Naples, within walking distance of the port.

If you're looking for something different, try the underground tour: http://www.napolisotterranea.org/

Wanted to do something different since most tour excursions seem to concentrate on visiting museums, cathedrals, statues which is fine, but I did not want to do that in every port. Seeing this mentioned on Tripadvisor sounded interesting. What did you do in Naples?

I've been to Naples a number of times, but the first time I visited, I definitely wanted to go to Pompeii.

Edited by cruisemom42