Transport only to Orlando theme parks?

Cruiser IMA

Consider renting a car for the day. You can get rentals for well under $100 for the day, so if you have 3 or more people, the savings can be substantial. Most rental companies will shuttle you from the pier to their nearby locations and back again. Would never buy a ship excursion to the parks, because they are charging you about $80/pp for transportation!!

I know people rented a car and drove they said it gave them a lot more time it only cost fifty for the day

But you don't have a long time for visiting the theme parks

It's a long drive etc...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure if this makes any difference at all, but I think most of the Orlando parks are charging $17 a day to park now.

Also, if you need to be back at the ship by a certain time (like 4 PM), allow *plenty* of time to get out of the parking lot, onto the highway, and back to the port. Traffic in and around Orlando can sometimes be brutal... I've sat at the same intersection for 30 minutes when trying to leave Sea World and get back to the expressway...

Janis

We had 8 people last year and yes we booked the excursion through CCL. It was expensive and yes, we could have done it cheaper on our own BUT....we know that as long as we were on THEIR bus, they would hold the ship for us. if we had to fly 8 people to Freeport it would have been alot more expensive.

We had 8 people last year and yes we booked the excursion through CCL. It was expensive and yes, we could have done it cheaper on our own BUT....we know that as long as we were on THEIR bus, they would hold the ship for us. if we had to fly 8 people to Freeport it would have been alot more expensive.

Good point. As in going on any non cruise line excursion at any port, it all depends on your comfort level. If going on a non cruise line excursion is going to stress you out, by all means use the cruise lines excursions.

I am Florida born and raised. I in no way recommend anything for this except through the cruise line. One wreak on the highway can set you in your rental car or your tour guide back hours.

Traffic is way to crazy down here for this.

We considered renting a car vs. booking the CCL excursion in Port Canaveral last month because were annual passholders, and knew we could save money. Ultimately we didn't, choosing the CCL excursion and we were so glad we did! An accident on the highway delayed our return to the ship for over 45 minutes. And while it was frustrating, there was no panicking because we were traveling with CCL.

I've mentioned this in other threads before, but when we took the Pride in 2010 we also had our own tickets to Disney...but we opted to go it alone.

We did NOT, however, rent a car...I booked private transportation and didn't worry about the cost ($220 RT plus tip). I figure spending the extra (over renting a car) saved us a tremendous amount of time, at least 90 min-2 hours, because we didn't have to shuttle over to a car rental place, wait in line, get the car, find our way to Disney...then leave, get gas, back to the rental place, drop off the car, shuttle to the ship.

Instead, while the Carnival tour group was loading the bus/waiting to fill up, we were already on our way to Disney. Our driver KNEW the best ways to get around Disney property to drop us off right near the Ticket and Transportation Center. We were allowed off the ship around 7:15am and were at the gate of the Magic Kingdom at rope drop.

I found out the Carnival excursion buses were heading back to the ship at 5pm. I arranged our return pick up at 4:30pm and KNEW we'd be fine. Why? There's only one route back to the ship and as long as we were AHEAD of the Carnival bus, we'd make it no problem.

At 4:30 our driver was right at the pickup and after all those hours we were able to completely relax on the drive back to port and had no hassles. With Disney, time is $$ and we had no problems spending the extra on a private car versus renting a car, because that extra money spent 'bought' us more time in the park.

Msmayor - I know this isn't my thread, but I was wondering the same thing because I already have tickets to universal. If you don't mind me asking, what was the name of the private car company you used?? I am looking for other options to get there besides renting a car. I was also going to inquire with carnival to see if you can pay for transportation only, but I doubt they have anything like that.

Thsnks

I've mentioned this in other threads before, but when we took the Pride in 2010 we also had our own tickets to Disney...but we opted to go it alone.

We did NOT, however, rent a car...I booked private transportation and didn't worry about the cost ($220 RT plus tip). I figure spending the extra (over renting a car) saved us a tremendous amount of time, at least 90 min-2 hours, because we didn't have to shuttle over to a car rental place, wait in line, get the car, find our way to Disney...then leave, get gas, back to the rental place, drop off the car, shuttle to the ship.

Instead, while the Carnival tour group was loading the bus/waiting to fill up, we were already on our way to Disney. Our driver KNEW the best ways to get around Disney property to drop us off right near the Ticket and Transportation Center. We were allowed off the ship around 7:15am and were at the gate of the Magic Kingdom at rope drop.

I found out the Carnival excursion buses were heading back to the ship at 5pm. I arranged our return pick up at 4:30pm and KNEW we'd be fine. Why? There's only one route back to the ship and as long as we were AHEAD of the Carnival bus, we'd make it no problem.

At 4:30 our driver was right at the pickup and after all those hours we were able to completely relax on the drive back to port and had no hassles. With Disney, time is $$ and we had no problems spending the extra on a private car versus renting a car, because that extra money spent 'bought' us more time in the park.

We just did one better. We invited a local friend to join us in the park. He picked us up and brought us back to the ship, and enjoyed his company all day.

Again, whatever you feel works best for you is what you should do, but having an extra two hours in the parks, I find is a stretch. We were also on the Pride in December of 2011, and our stop at Port Canaveral was from 7am to 7 pm (be back on board at 6:30). Our day went like this:

7:15 - Left our cabin to get off ship.

7:30 - Shuttle picked us up for the 5-10 minute ride to rental location.

8:00 - In our rented SUV on our way to Disney.

9:00 - In Epcot parking lot (already had our tickets)

4:00 - Leave Epcot parking lot for Port Canaveral

5:15 - Back at rental location (stopped for gas)

5:30 - Shuttle back to the ship.

5:45 - Back on board

So it looks like you had an extra half hour more than us, since I built a little extra time on our return to the ship in case of traffic. Our cost was $98. (rental, gas, tolls, parking).

Bottom line is, do whatever you are comfortable with. We have spent a lot of time in central Florida over the years, so we do know our way around, so we are comfortable with this.

There's only one route back to the ship and as long as we were AHEAD of the Carnival bus, we'd make it no problem.

Not at all correct just lucky. You could be trapped and the bus behind knows about the accident and takes a detour. You cant go backwards to an exit.

I have fought South Florida traffic my whole life. Way to many variables in this situation for MY comfort zone.

All drivers know the disney properties. Heck, I know them well, thats is not what I'm worried about.

Off my soap box now.

Again, whatever you feel works best for you is what you should do, but having an extra two hours in the parks, I find is a stretch. We were also on the Pride in December of 2011, and our stop at Port Canaveral was from 7am to 7 pm (be back on board at 6:30). Our day went like this:

7:15 - Left our cabin to get off ship.

7:30 - Shuttle picked us up for the 5-10 minute ride to rental location.

8:00 - In our rented SUV on our way to Disney.

9:00 - In Epcot parking lot (already had our tickets)

4:00 - Leave Epcot parking lot for Port Canaveral

5:15 - Back at rental location (stopped for gas)

5:30 - Shuttle back to the ship.

5:45 - Back on board

So it looks like you had an extra half hour more than us, since I built a little extra time on our return to the ship in case of traffic. Our cost was $98. (rental, gas, tolls, parking).

Bottom line is, do whatever you are comfortable with. We have spent a lot of time in central Florida over the years, so we do know our way around, so we are comfortable with this.

You've been lucky, but you'll think twice when things don't run quite so smoothly.

Living in central FL for many years and dealing with traffic challenges that can occur, especially between Port C and the attractions areas, I have to agree with several of the other posters and recommend you use a ship excursion or you could face a very costly flight to the next port of call.

There are some ways around certain sections of the Beach Line but if an accident should happen in other sections you can easily be stuck sitting still for long periods of time.

Being forewarned, do what you feel comfortable with, but don't cry when the worst happens. It can, and does.

You've been lucky, but you'll think twice when things don't run quite so smoothly.

Living in central FL for many years and dealing with traffic challenges that can occur, especially between Port C and the attractions areas, I have to agree with several of the other posters and recommend you use a ship excursion or you could face a very costly flight to the next port of call.

There are some ways around certain sections of the Beach Line but if an accident should happen in other sections you can easily be stuck sitting still for long periods of time.

Being forewarned, do what you feel comfortable with, but don't cry when the worst happens. It can, and does.

Living in New Jersey, halfway between Philadelphia and New York, nobody can tell me that their everyday traffic is worse than ours. Try getting to the Jersey shore on a Friday night!! We have learned to build in extra time to get where we need to be on time. I use those same principles when on vacation. Is it possible that we can get burned one day. yes. I won't cry, but deal with it. Just know that a family of 5 using Carnival excursions is paying $400. in transportation. Or that group of 8 mentioned above, paid $640 in transportation. I just pointed out an alternative, which may or may not be comfortable to some. Your points are valid, and should be considered when making their choice. I wouldn't do it if I was not familiar with the area.