I'm back - Star July 14 sailing

M&T

Hi Marlyne,

I have enjoyed reading your posts. I would like to hear more about the Imperial Evening.

How were people dressed? Would a simple dress be fine? Does DH have to wear a suit? What was the meal like? Did you get back from your day tour in plenty of time?

As you can tell, I am excited about this excursion - it was the very first one I booked!

Thank you, Jean

• 2 weeks later...

A sundress would be great because it is very hot and humid inside. You might want a light jacket outside but you would have to judge that based on your weather at the time. Your husband won't want to wear a suit. Some people were very dressed up and other underdressed. I think the smart casual or whatever it is called for evening dining room, not formal night is OK.

That evening was our highlight. I was surprised that there were about 4 buses. The entertainment while eating dinner is very good. The tenor is excellent. We had no trouble getting back from the day tour in time. The meal had pancakes with caviar, (I wish I'd written it down), chicken breast, a couple of other things I don't remember, and I think icecream for desert. You could have as much vodka and wine as you wanted, just ask. I was really more interested in extra water because it was so hot. The meal was OK.

The flute player, harpsicord, and string quartet were outstanding. The amber room is unbelievably awesome. We were among the last to go through because someone in our group had a heart attack or something. We were later assured that he would recover. He was taken to the hospital. At first, I was disappointed that when we got to the main ball room the seats were all taken and we had to stand. The musicians had alread started. Now, I've decided that was a good thing. We could not have taken the great pictures we did if we'd been sitting in the middle of a bunch of people. It was great.

The horse drawn carriage and dancing was wonderful too. On the way back to the ship, there was a gorgious sunset. I wish now that we'd asked for the bus to stop for a minute for pictures. I took some but they could have been better.

I haven't been back to this site for awhile. I'll try to check more often. Marlyne

I wanted to add that we had virtually no time to shop at the castles in Denmark. I always like to get a book telling about everything and with pictures. I didn't get any for the three castles: Kronborg, Friedericksburg, and Rosenborg. If anyone knows where I could buy them off the net, I'd appreciate it. Marlyne

Archived