Phillipsburg and Great Bay Beach

cj'sdad

We had been to Sint Maarten/St. Martin on our previous cruise. We had done an island tour by taxi right from the cruise terminal that time. It was a great experience at a reasonable price (@$35 per person for the day if I remember correctly). This time we just walked into Phillipsburg for the day. It takes about 15 minutes. We could have taken the water taxi for about $7 per person, which includes use back and forth all day, but we decided to save the money. After some shopping, we got beach chairs and umbrellas on the boardwalk beach. They were about $15-$20 per person which included a few drinks and wi-fi. Sint Maarten was hot that day, but nice with a breeze and some shade.

We had been to Sint Maarten/St. Martin on our previous cruise. We had done an island tour by taxi right from the cruise terminal that time. It was a great experience at a reasonable price (@$35 per person for the day if I remember correctly). This time we just walked into Phillipsburg for the day. It takes about 15 minutes. We could have taken the water taxi for about $7 per person' date=' which includes use back and forth all day, but we decided to save the money. After some shopping, we got beach chairs and umbrellas on the boardwalk beach. They were about $15-$20 per person which included a few drinks and wi-fi. Sint Maarten was hot that day, but nice with a breeze and some shade.[/quote']

We often recommend Great Bay for those that want a beach day that doesn't include swimming in the water.

Why no swimming in the water? If this is the same bay where they have the webcam aiming at the ships I thought I had seen some people in the water before?:confused:

Ongoing pollution concerns at the town beach. Some progress was noted in the testing late last year but in February a cc member commented on the sewage smell and brown sludgy water that was draining into Great Bay. Not sure about a web cam being at that beach so I can't comment on that.

Ongoing pollution concerns at the town beach. Some progress was noted in the testing late last year but in February a cc member commented on the sewage smell and brown sludgy water that was draining into Great Bay. Not sure about a web cam being at that beach so I can't comment on that.

Here is the webcam I am speaking of. The water looks clear and even clearer during the day and I have seen some people in the water...not sure if locals or tourists....DH and I planned on walking over to this area on our trip (granted next year)

netcam.jpg.9e4c5590c44531477fdba1e4342027b8.jpg

The water is very clear and blue. As you walk to Great Bay you will pass over the canal that pollutes the Bay.

You cannot see the pollution, it is measured in parts per billion. Just pick a beach area on the other side of the beach away from the canal and enjoy your day.

The water is very clear and blue. As you walk to Great Bay you will pass over the canal that pollutes the Bay.

You cannot see the pollution, it is measured in parts per billion. Just pick a beach area on the other side of the beach away from the canal and enjoy your day.

Or better still pick one of the islands many non polluted beaches ( like the island residents do) if you plan on going in the water. Great beach bars, restaurants and shopping in town so we always save the last couple of hours of our St. Maarten port day to visit and support the business owners on the boardwalk and in the town.

We are looking at doing the helmet dive and then when that was over since we are there so long we wanted to shop/walk down the boardwalk/front street area then relax on the beach and possibly a little swim in the caribbean blue clear water. i have been seeing that webcam and loving the view for awhile now and would love to have that view while laying around and swimming. But at the same time don't want to come home with some extra ick from being in polluted water. How far is little Bay? could we walk there and maybe just stop on the beach in the great bay for my photo op and then walk over to little bay for some caribbean wonderful water?

Edited by cruzrbachoua

We are looking at doing the helmet dive and then when that was over since we are there so long we wanted to shop/walk down the boardwalk/front street area then relax on the beach and possibly a little swim in the caribbean blue clear water. i have been seeing that webcam and loving the view for awhile now and would love to have that view while laying around and swimming. But at the same time don't want to come home with some extra ick from being in polluted water. How far is little Bay? could we walk there and maybe just stop on the beach in the great bay for my photo op and then walk over to little bay for some caribbean wonderful water?

The hill has always kept me from walking it. For $5 pp max eachway you can get a taxi to and from Little Bay to the pier. The view from Little Bay is actually prettier as well.

The hill has always kept me from walking it. For $5 pp max eachway you can get a taxi to and from Little Bay to the pier. The view from Little Bay is actually prettier as well.

Can you swim in the water in Little Bay? Just trying to have some backup plans in case we want to swim vs shop vs lay on the beach. Not sure how we will feel after the helmet dive as it is new to us.

Can you swim in the water in Little Bay? Just trying to have some backup plans in case we want to swim vs shop vs lay on the beach. Not sure how we will feel after the helmet dive as it is new to us.

Little Bay is a lovely spot to swim and you can rent chairs and buy drinks as well. I wouldn't spend the whole day here but for a couple of hours it's a great spot. Very picturesc IMO. Divi Little Bay Resort is on this beach so if you google that you should be able to see some pictures of it.:)

Little Bay is a lovely spot to swim and you can rent chairs and buy drinks as well. I wouldn't spend the whole day here but for a couple of hours it's a great spot. Very picturesc IMO. Divi Little Bay Resort is on this beach so if you google that you should be able to see some pictures of it.:)

Ok great thanks for the tip. That will be one of our options. As long as the helmet dive is still available we want to do that and then for sure wander around and shop. Then depending on how much time we have left or how tired my DH is we may catch a taxi over to Little Bay for some views and a dip in the water. I like looking at all the architecture in the places we go and shopping, DH is about resting, food and views....lol. Thanks for the heads up on the water...I love CC.