Moderno question.....

happy cruzin

I have only been twice to "Modernos", once each on DAWN and GEM. The Gauchos (waiters) seemed to be pretty accomodating to us. Some in our party liked meat more done and some less done. It took a few minutes to get the particular meat, but in the mean time other meats were offered. My filet were cut thin too just like LMB, I just asked for them to keep cutting more slices. They did. I feel the thinner slices gave the sense of being more tender. I would personally not have changed that.

"Moderno" compared agreeably with Brazillian resturants in the Boston north area, but at about 60% of the price. I am sure others would say they their areas are have much better Brazillian style resturants. That's just how people are.

My disslike about DAWNs "Moderno" is the location. Too many none dinners running through. Can be distracting and loud.

We were not crazy over the location on the Pearl either, but the food made up for it. The private location on the Sun was great and they served a great lunch as well.

Dutch courage?
Probably, ROFL .

You are free to read all my previous posts. Many times in those posts I have said positive things about NCL. If you are unwilling to do the research, I can't help you.

I don't gush about how great NCL is because I believe the cheerleaders have that covered. Once you refuse to point out any negatives in a post or review I don't take you seriously anymore.

It also works in reverse. When you never post anything positive, we can't take you seriously either. It's just the way it is!

My 2 cents...we loved Moderno on the Gem...EXCEPT for location...noisy (from lobby below) and people walking through ..food was very good (esp.salad bar) and servers were accommodating and very pleasant..

We will be trying the Moderno for the first time next month (on the Dawn) - now I am confused - what is the deal with the red and green cards - and having to "catch a gaucho as he walks by" ?? Can someone explain ?

THANKS !!

Gauchos are looking for these cards to let them know whether they should approach you with more or not. Basically, green means, serve me some more please and red means, not now, thanks. :D

Edited by ChiMimi69

My 2 cents...we loved Moderno on the Gem...EXCEPT for location...noisy (from lobby below) and people walking through ..food was very good (esp.salad bar) and servers were accommodating and very pleasant..

Moderno will be moving to the Star Bar when Gem goes in for dry dock. Enjoyed Moderno on other ships because of the privacy. Like you love the food hate the noise. We had kids run right through the restaurant since they could.

Kills me how many people complain about the restaurants, and food not being to their liking. Quit stuffing your mouth and open it, I guarantee that none of the servers will tell you tough sh*t thats how we serve it. Some people....:rolleyes:

Wow...:eek:!! Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today??? :confused: :cool:

Moderno will be moving to the Star Bar when Gem goes in for dry dock. Enjoyed Moderno on other ships because of the privacy. Like you love the food hate the noise. We had kids run right through the restaurant since they could.

Yes-I heard it was moving and very happy....I am sure I will enjoy it even more next time I am on the Gem...!!!!

I did Moderno on the Jewel, and it was disappointing. It was a watered down version of Fogo de Chao -- the restaurant it is trying to imitate.

The red and green cards are supposed to indicate "stop" or "continue" serving meat. At Fogo de Chao, they keep (randomly) bringing meat and asking if you want it, as long as your card is green.

Not so on Moderno.

They come around ONCE with each meat, give you a single portion, and do not come around a second time. The red/green cards are only useful to pause or stop early.

If you ask for seconds, they balk.

If you ask for more than one portion of a particular meat, they balk.

I should have complained to the manager about this, but my son had fallen asleep during the meal and we needed to get him back to the room.

I found out from reading this board that others had the identical experience, yet they got a free meal at a different specialty when they complained.

Also, the meats were just mediocre. They weren't terrible, but they also weren't flavorful and tasty like at Fogo de Chao.

I am going on the Sun in August and will try it again, but will be sure to get them to clarify the policy prior to paying for it. If they tell me that I can only have one of each meat, I will say "thanks but no thanks" and eat somewhere else.

Edited by pokerpro5

I did Moderno on the Jewel, and it was disappointing. It was a watered down version of Fogo de Chao -- the restaurant it is trying to imitate.

The red and green cards are supposed to indicate "stop" or "continue" serving meat. At Fogo de Chao, they keep (randomly) bringing meat and asking if you want it, as long as your card is green.

Not so on Moderno.

They come around ONCE with each meat, give you a single portion, and do not come around a second time. The red/green cards are only useful to pause or stop early.

I should have complained to the manager about this, but my son had fallen asleep during the meal and we needed to get him back to the room.

I found out from reading this board that others had the identical experience, yet they got a free meal at a different specialty when they complained.

Also, the meats were just mediocre. They weren't terrible, but they also weren't flavorful and tasty like at Fogo de Chao.

I am going on the Sun in August and will try it again, but will be sure to get them to clarify the policy prior to paying for it. If they tell me that I can only have one of each meat, I will say "thanks but no thanks" and eat somewhere else.

If this had been my experience on the Jewel, I would have been very disappointed, too. Fortunately (for me), I can honestly say that my experience was almost the polar opposite from yours - pretty much non-stop service when the green card was displayed. Multiple portions of whichever meat we desired. Taste is so subjective, but I will say that I was more than satisfied with the taste of the meat.

If this had been my experience on the Jewel, I would have been very disappointed, too. Fortunately (for me), I can honestly say that my experience was almost the polar opposite from yours - pretty much non-stop service when the green card was displayed. Multiple portions of whichever meat we desired. Taste is so subjective, but I will say that I was more than satisfied with the taste of the meat.

Maybe I just had bad luck with that staff, though I saw others posting here agreeing with my assessment.

I will solve this next time by approaching them beforehand at Moderno and airing my concerns, and this way I will have an immediate answer for them if they obnoxiously tell me, "Sorry, this meat is for those next 3 tables" or "We only come around once, but we'll see if we can find a few types of meat that we might have some extras."

I second that. I would not recommend going there if I only got one serving of each meat. I wouldn't return for a second time.

I have always got more than my fill though. Never a problem with the red/green cards working as intended. I will be going again in May/June. Hopefully it isn't a new thing, serving only once pre table each meat.

Not so on Moderno.

I have read a couple of postings about not liking the restaurant and not caring for the food, but certainly there have been only one or two. I am thinking maybe you are comparing it with only one other Brazilian steak house. We have been to many and Modernos was identical to others we have been to. BTW we never found them upset when we ask for another serving of anything. Hope you enjoy Modernos on the Sun. We certainly did.

Not so on Moderno.

Eaten at Moderno on many different ships. This never happened to us and never saw it happen to others. Like any restaurant, if there is a problem you have to complain right away. We loved the meats and the service.

Not so on Moderno.

I understand what you are saying. Our first dinner at Moderno (Jewel) started out a little hit or miss. However, when I made it clear that I was there for the lamb chops and wished to receive 2 at a time there was no problem. So the lamb chops kept coming and I was so happy:)

Edited by kcwingwalker

We've eaten at Moderno twice; once on the Dawn last November and most recently on the Jade 2 weeks ago. On the Dawn, the service by the gauchos was clumsy and so painfully slow, we didn't have our meat list even after 2 hours. It was so bad they comped any diner who complained. The hostess and chief water were humiliated by the whole thing but powerless to get the food out faster.

On the Jade, we told the HD this story when we ran into him and he comped us to try it again. Service was faster this time but the food was not really good except for the salad bar. Cheap cuts of meat all in all, cooked poorly. Never again, even for free.

We've eaten at Moderno twice; once on the Dawn last November and most recently on the Jade 2 weeks ago. On the Dawn, the service by the gauchos was clumsy and so painfully slow, we didn't have our meat list even after 2 hours. It was so bad they comped any diner who complained. The hostess and chief water were humiliated by the whole thing but powerless to get the food out faster.

On the Jade, we told the HD this story when we ran into him and he comped us to try it again. Service was faster this time but the food was not really good except for the salad bar. Cheap cuts of meat all in all, cooked poorly. Never again, even for free.

I guess it just depends on the day or whatever. We will experience it on the Dawn next week, but our experience on the Pearl was fantastic, also both times on the Sun. In fact we know a couple on the Sun last Dec that ate there 3 times on the 11 day cruise and we met a couple on a tour who were on the Gem, they too raved about it. I sure hope we are not disappointed when we sail next week. BTW, I will add, I don't expect it to be prime cuts of meat, as long as it is tasty and cooked the way we like it.