How to pick a stateroom? One or two

jdragr

OBC is Onboard Credit. Usually afforded by the TA for use as you please while onboard. Perchance jdrager, do you have Facebook account? Also, which ship are you specifically looking at to cruise and what date?

OBC is "on board credit". When you look at the cruise line's web site, it may have specials like "free tips or internet or OBC", which is dollar amounts you can spend on board (drink packages, specialty restaurants, excursions, etc.). The value of a good TA is that s/he may add additional OBC to the cruise perks for all sorts of reasons (e.g., they have a block of rooms, or they do it as a rule for new customers, etc.). Sometimes the extras come out of the TA's commission (paid by cruise line) because they want your continuing business. Just as important - the right TA can point you to the right line per your definition of "upscale". You mentioned hilton. For some folks, hilton would mean "luxury" while for other folks it might mean "minimally acceptable". Nothing wrong with either view. Same thing with cruise ships. But you do want to end up where you will feel most comfortable rather than where the tariff is the absolute cheapest.

Good luck, whatever you do, it'll be a learning experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do have a FaceBook account - Andrea Register

This TA didn't offer anything. I just looked again and a suite has come available on another date that will work. I don't know whether to book tonight or wait until tomorrow when I can talk to the TA again.

I just sent you a friend request Andrea...Chris Scarpitti Bobich Bloomer...I personally don't think that TA you have found is doing much of anything. Honestly there are so many great deals out there to be found and some of the very best agents too..many of which are via the internet.

I just sent you a friend request Andrea...Chris Scarpitti Bobich Bloomer...I personally don't think that TA you have found is doing much of anything. Honestly there are so many great deals out there to be found and some of the very best agents too..many of which are via the internet.

I didn't get the request but I sent you one. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have talked to my original TA today and this is what she said:

Hi Andrea,

Most of the cruise lines do offer amenities and credits but Carnival does not. The advantage of booking with me is you have a live person to speak with not a random person. You have Adventure Travel behind you also. If I can get you anything extra I will!

Roxanne

Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:33 AM

To: Roxanne Buchanan

Subject: Re: Cruise

Roxanne,

So I talked to a friend in another state that cruises and she said they always receive onboard credit or some amenity for booking with a travel agent. What is the advantage to booking the room with you rather than through Carnival?

Andrea Register

Seems to me you are dealing with a small company that mirrors the pricing that the cruise line offers with little to no quirks. I myself have sailed all the major lines and agent I have consistently used has afforded me pricing WELL below that which the cruise line shows as the rate as well as OBC, coupon books to be used on cruise and even small gifts specifically from the agency and so noted like wine with dinner, choc covered strawberries that looked like they were dressed in tuxes delvd to cabin etc

Edited by MamaTene