Activities in Nassau other than DCL Excusions

alligator3

My family and I will be cruising to Nassau on the Disney Dream in June. We are considering doing one of the Disney snorkeling excursions, but may opt to explore on our own instead. Here's what is on our wish list to see/do in Nassau:

1. Shop for souvenirs (daughter and me) and rum (hubby)

2. Go to a beach (me)

3. "Get my hair braided" (daughter)

All insight is welcomed and appreciated! Thanks in advance.

My family and I will be cruising to Nassau on the Disney Dream in June. We are considering doing one of the Disney snorkeling excursions, but may opt to explore on our own instead. Here's what is on our wish list to see/do in Nassau:

1. Shop for souvenirs (daughter and me) and rum (hubby)

2. Go to a beach (me)

3. "Get my hair braided" (daughter)

All insight is welcomed and appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Shop on Bay St., stay clear of the StrawMarket. -

Take cab for 4.00 to Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island, there are ladies on the beach to braid your daughters hair.

Edited by caribsun

Get your hair braided on the ship where you know the equipment is clean and they don't suddenly demand 10 times the original stated fee!

Beaches--Cable Beach and Junkanoo beach are free and easy. A little bit of a long walk; easier to hop a cab. Vendors will happily rent you whatever you might want while there.

Another vote for shopping on Bay Street. Keep alert and stay safe (as you would expect to do in any US city.)

I agree with Moki's Mommy,

Please get your daughters hair done on the ship.

I have seen and heard so many horror stories of people who get it done on the islands. You never see them clean a comb or brush just shove them in a pocket and pull back out again for the next person.

Also I have read multiple reports of people having to call the police or security because the braider demands 3 or 4 times what they had agreed on.

That's not a fun way to spend your time on the island!

You wont have that problem on the ship.

I know someone here said to avoid the straw market but I think that depends on what you are shopping for. We look for the hand carved wooden products that are sold on the far end of the Straw Market and have always found great looking items at a reasonable price but be prepared to dicker the price.

It's a custom there to dicker for prices and you get some great deals.

I do agree it can be a very pushy area with all the vendors in there and a lot of what they sell is junk but there are also some good buys if you're careful about what you're buying.

I find it a great experience of exploring a different culture.

Have fun!!

Thanks for more great tips! The last time my daughter had her hair braided was at a WDW resort. The lady did a great job. I will definitely check out the snorkeling suggestion, too. As for shopping, I have heard mixed reviews about the Straw Market. Haggling isn't really my thing. Knowingly husband, he will want to check it out. :D

I actually enjoyed the strawmarket. We had limited time and cash and a lady swooped right in, helped us find what we wanted (dolphins and Ariel on bags) and then we bought some stuff from her. We were out of there in 20 min and happy. It is what it is, but you can get some good deals. I like handmade stuff. Castaway Cay only has typical resort stock stuff and none of it is made there. Twinkie got a great wooden carved mug and some souvenirs. We would go back.

Speaking of going back, we loved the sea lions so much we booked it again this year! DCL really wowed us with Blue Lagoon, but we did do a snorkel catamaran off of shoreexcursionsgroup.com and it was a great morning, the first time we were in Nassau.

There is so much to do on Nassau as long as you have a plan.

Thanks for another snorkeling tip! The last time my husband and I snorkeled was on our honeymoon years ago and we are excited to do it again with our daughter. I am planning to do most of my shopping in Nassau. I am not planning to buy much on Castaway Cay, probably just a pin to add to my collection.