Appropriate attire for places you visit on tours?

lawgirl

Hello. Cruising in July to STP, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Visby, Stockholm, Tallin. In parts of Europe on tours it was important to have conservative attire....shoulders and knees covered. Is this so in any of the Baltics or STP? I know we should wear layers and comfortable shoes, but DH wears cargo shorts alot...is that an issue? Dresses or skirts slightly above knee?

Thanks!!

No problem in scandinavian capitals, but in STP, Talinn and Visby, you won't be allowed to visit any orthodox church with bare knees and shoulders, and church keepers are usually very strict about it. If the weather is really hot, I wear hiking trousers which can be cut in shorts and "put my legs on" before going into a church and even a museum, so do I in Italy (Shorts forbidden in catholic churchs) or Greece.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

See this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2011533

No problem in scandinavian capitals, but in STP, Talinn and Visby, you won't be allowed to visit any orthodox church with bare knees and shoulders, and

church keepers are usually very strict about it. If the weather is really hot, I wear hiking trousers which can be cut in shorts and "put my legs on" before going into a church and

even a museum, so do I in Italy (Shorts forbidden in catholic churchs) or Greece.

Visby? What Orthodox churches are there in Visby?

Edited by Desdichado62

No problem in scandinavian capitals, but in STP, Talinn and Visby, you won't be allowed to visit any orthodox church with bare knees and shoulders, and church keepers are usually very strict about it. If the weather is really hot, I wear hiking trousers which can be cut in shorts and "put my legs on" before going into a church and even a museum, so do I in Italy (Shorts forbidden in catholic churchs) or Greece.

Are there orthodox churches on the typical tours in STP? The ones given by the main tour companies, Alla, TJ, Red October? Anyone know? Thanks!

I may be wrong, but if memory holds, the Churches you visit in St Petersburg, Spilled Blood, Peter and Paul and any others, you are on a tour, and we had people in shorts etc. No one was ever stopped. Maybe in the Vatican, but I have never heard of any person on a tour in St Petersburg, denied admission to any venue because of what they were wearing.

Cheers

Len

Are there orthodox churches on the typical tours in STP? The ones given by the main tour companies, Alla, TJ, Red October? Anyone know? Thanks!

There are typically several options - St. Isaac's Cathedral, Peter and Paul Cathedral at Peterhof, Peter and Paul Cathedral at Peter and Paul Fortress, Church on the Spilled Blood as the more popular options. Dress code is often much more relaxed in St. Petersburg, because most of these churches, including the ones listed above, are actually Russian state owned museums, even if they have religious services in them.

We visited St. Nicholas Cathedral on our tour with Alla. It is a functioning Orthodox church and we were permitted only in the perimeter of the church (nice display of icons). We were asked to make sure shoulders and knees were covered, so I wore a travel-knit 3/4 length sleeved shirt with below the knees capris and that was fine. It was very different from the Church of Spilled Blood and the Cathedral of Peter and Paul, which are not operating churches. It was a really interesting experience, with a priest chanting, women in babushkas stopping before the icons, etc. DH took a class in iconography at one time and absolutely loved this visit.

See this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2011533

Visby? What Orthodox churches are there in Visby?

Oups! I was thinking about the church and monastery of holy spirit in Vilnius, and not Visby, of course! Thank you for correcting my mistake : unfortunately, it happens when you are getting old.