Very Upset.....Skagway Train....Help

Whirlwind

I just returned from the hair dresser and she advised me several of her clients thru the years have said because of the altitude on the skagway white pass yukon train ride, they have felt unable to breathe and chest compression.......is this true????she said most of these people take blodd pressure medicine.....I have already booked these for me and my husband and we both take blood pressure medicine...please respond

It is HIGHLY unlikely that anyone is bothered by the altitude that the train goes to - under 3,000 feet. The airplane that people use to get to the ship is pressurized to about 10,000 feet, so if you can fly to Vancouver/Seattle, the WP&YR isn't an issue.

Murray

There is no reason you can't fly because of taking B.P. Meds. Stay away from

alcoholic beverages and on long flights caffeine. Try to move about cabin when possible.Relax and enjoy the flight and certainly the CRUISE :)

Stan

Yukon's analysis is correct. On flights much more than about 45 minutes or so, an airliner will ascend to altitudes where the CABIN reaches, and does not exceed 8000 feet. If you can handle an average airplane flight, much less one of long duration, the train trip can't have near the effect -- plus the train climbs and descends at rates much less than that of your airline cabin.

Have fun,

Bruce

...so nothing much to worry about on the train...but I've never flown before and I take blood pressure medicine...has anyone heard of flying causing any problems?

Just remember it is common curtisy not to put your seat back.

I hate haveing someone's hair in my lap.

I live on the plains, regularly vacation in Colorado with altitudes above 10,000 feet and have occasionally had some slight difficulty catching my breath until my system adjusts. I did not have ANY problem on the drive up from Skagway to Carcross, YT, which is much like the train ride. Or anywhere in Alaska for that matter.

I've never had any problems flying either, and did not on our trip to Alaska this past June.

I take 2 types of hypertension meds. I don't think you have any reason to worry, but if it would put your mind at ease, never hesitate to consult your physician.

I just returned from the hair dresser and she advised me several of her clients thru the years have said because of the altitude on the skagway white pass yukon train ride, they have felt unable to breathe and chest compression.......is this true????she said most of these people take blodd pressure medicine.....I have already booked these for me and my husband and we both take blood pressure medicine...please respond

I just hate it when folks say such negative stuff like this w/out actual proof. We just ret. from this excursion & hubby takes 15 kinds of meds - heart, diabetic, blood pressure, etc. and he was great. Plus there are a lot of senior citizens and wheelchair folks on this tour and they are having one terrific time. Enjoy and change hairdressers. :p gg

...so nothing much to worry about on the train...but I've never flown before and I take blood pressure medicine...has anyone heard of flying causing any problems?

First off consult your MD.

My MIL takes blood pressure meds and she was fine flying in the small plane around Mt. McKinley where they made us wear oxygen masks. Well, not exactly fine but that has to do with her tendency towards motion sickness and some turns the plane made. She still loved the flight though because the views were stunning.

Now the RR - she knew she could not take the heights. She has an exceptional fear of driving near anything that isn't flat. She can't even close her eyes. So she knew ahead of time she couldn't do this train and didn't. I have a fear of heights sometimes, or I thought I did, but I loved hanging out on the platform the entire ride back, taking photos and breathing the pine air. My husband couldn't take the platform but loved sitting inside. This ride was fantastic - so much diversity - trees, flowers, mts, rivers.

We took WP&Y RR last month. It was great. The train goes slow enough that the altitude won't bother you. We did Inside Passage and we must have had the only week during this tourist seasion when the weather was terrible. Except for Skagway, it rained every day, all day. It was nice to see some scenery from the train because we never saw any at all for the rest of the cruise. Alaska was disappointing for us.:( :(

I just hate it when folks say such negative stuff like this w/out actual proof. We just ret. from this excursion & hubby takes 15 kinds of meds - heart, diabetic, blood pressure, etc. and he was great. Plus there are a lot of senior citizens and wheelchair folks on this tour and they are having one terrific time. Enjoy and change hairdressers. :p gg

Thanks for the laugh about changing hairdressers! When I read about the hairdressers comments I was thinking: that place must be gossip central in that town!

Again, thanks for the early am chuckle!

I took my parents on the White Pass ride last week. They take about 30 kinds of meds (heart and bp) between them, Dad is in a wheelchair. They had a blast with absolutely no ill effects or respiratory distress whatsoever. Said it was the most fun they'd had in a long time. Sounds to me like your hairdresser is a mite jealous.:rolleyes:

:) Maybe she was just trying to be helpful?.. and I'd listen to a hairdresser as much as anyone else..whether they're a hairdresser or a brain surgeon, they've both got opinions that are valuable! I am going on Skagway train in a few weeks and I am hoping it's only the scenery that will leave me breathless!! :)

While I absolutely agree that there is a very low probability of problem, I am amazed it took 13 posts before someone said check with your doctor. Only he/she will know what your medication is and how sensitive you might be. But tell him that you are flying and that the train only gets to about 3,000 feet. If he says flying is no problem, then the train should not be.

And I would put just as much faith in what your hairdresser says (not all that much) as I would in what strangers on the internet say. I think slomotion was a bit condescending - is he/she a doctor or otherwise more qualified than a hairdresser to relate what they've heard? I didn't hear any medical advice, just second/third-hand stories about others' experiences.

I don't think you have any reason to worry, but if it would put your mind at ease, never hesitate to consult your physician.

Actually, it was post 10 ;) .

I thought the OP was asking for experiences about how others on BP meds felt while on the excursion, rather than medical advice. I hope no one comes here for medical advice, even if some of us happen to be medical professionals!!! I agree, not a good thing over then 'net'.:)

I just returned from my cruise yesterday. I take blood pressure meds and also have bad panic attacks. I had NO problems whatsoever on the train ride in Skagway. It was so beautiful I had no time to think about anything else.

Never had any breathing issues and everyone else on the train was so mesmorized with view that we had out faces plastered to the windows the whole time.

No worries........take the train ride and lots of film.

While I absolutely agree that there is a very low probability of problem, I am amazed it took 13 posts before someone said check with your doctor. Only he/she will know what your medication is and how sensitive you might be. But tell him that you are flying and that the train only gets to about 3,000 feet. If he says flying is no problem, then the train should not be.

And I would put just as much faith in what your hairdresser says (not all that much) as I would in what strangers on the internet say. I think slomotion was a bit condescending - is he/she a doctor or otherwise more qualified than a hairdresser to relate what they've heard? I didn't hear any medical advice, just second/third-hand stories about others' experiences.

Bob, I hesitate to post this but.

I hold a Pharm.D. (Doctor of Pharmacy) from the University of Southern California (Class of 1965)

A MAJOR problem in healthcare today is literally people like whirlwind who listen to people like hair dressers, waitresses, cab drivers, and the like, and actually change their medication routines, because some one with no medical knowledge of any kind tells them to do it. I can not even count the number of times this has happened. Sometimes with drastic results. I've had patients wind up in the ER by listening to some fool.

You will note I did not provide any suggestions of anykind. As a dedicated healthcare professional I have always made it a practice to not respond to questions without knowing everything about a patient and their medication routines. This includes family and friends.

I just checked with my barber. He says not to worry.

-MB

I did the railway last summer with my 82 year old mother who is on blood pressure medicine. We very much enjoyed the entire Alaska trip and especially the White Pass railway. I did not notice anyone on my excursion having any type of health related problems.

Perhaps we had a sore neck the next day from trying to look all directions at the beautiful scenery. However, we would not have noticed it because we were too busy enjoying the rest of the cruise!

Archived