Galveston One Way Car Rentals

TBone2K

Since our cruise gets in early and our flight is late, we though we would get a car and make our own way to IAH. However it looks like the car rental company in town doesn't offer one-way rentals (or they are sold out). Window for getting a rental car on a Saturday is pretty narrow as well.

Are there any other rentals nearby that offer one-way rentals? And hopefully have a shuttle?

The only one I know of is Enterprise...but I also heard that they close at noon on Saturday... So if you are on The Magic, this doesnt help a whole lot. I have also seen where they are charging a lot.

I have come to a conclusion that Galveston Port is not ideal for people who are flying in.

Another option ( I mentioned this in another thread) is depending on when you arrive and how many people you have in your group you might find it cheaper to rent a car for the week and just pay to park it at the port and that way you have when when you get back. I remember there used to be some posts on here where people found good week long rates and they came out ahead with doing this instead of paying the transpiration costs from IAH to the port. Just another option to look at.

I found that Hertz has a shuttle, but only operates within a certain area. Haven't been able to reach them to confirm if they can come to the cruise port. So could cab it to get the rental car, I guess. Don't want to have to pay a ridiculous cab fare though. How long does it take to get to Texas City?

Texas City is the basically the first town once you get off the island going north. (Or the last one before you get to the island if you want to look at it that way. :D ) So, travel time, depending of where you are going and traffic...10-15 min, maybe tad more or less.

• 2 weeks later...
I found that Hertz has a shuttle, but only operates within a certain area. Haven't been able to reach them to confirm if they can come to the cruise port. So could cab it to get the rental car, I guess. Don't want to have to pay a ridiculous cab fare though. How long does it take to get to Texas City?

I've been researching the same thing. Can get a really cheap rate for car for one-way rental . . . Avis said for $50 more, they will come with the car and pick you up at the ship . . . so for total including car rental would only be around $83 - plus we could take our time and explore Galveston a bit. I have to call Budget (they also have a location at Mall of the Mainland in Texas City) to see if they offer the pickup service . . . so far this is looking like our best bet.

Just found out if you get picked up by the car rental company at the pier, you then have to drop the driver back off at their office on the mainland . . . so that defeats the purpose of staying in Galveston for the day. . . oh well!

• 2 weeks later...

We have done the rent for a week and park in the cheaper lots. It was very convenient. The tricky part is finding a good weekly rate. It works well the more people you have because the shuttle can be pricey.

Another option we used was Super Shuttle. They are cheaper than the cruiseline if you have more than 2 people.

• 2 weeks later...