Has anyone been to Elbow Beach

dvond

I know you can get day passes at the hotel but we just want to rent chair and relax , has anyone done this and any idea if it is possible and what is the cost?

Also curious how to get there

Going from the dockyard toward Hamilton, Elbow beach club is further up south shore drive (past horseshoe, warwick, astwood, + coral beaches). Since we have scooters it is easy for us to park at the resort and enjoy the area. Might be more difficult by bus or taxi. Bus rt 2 and 7.

There is a large entrance sign for the resort. I have been there for lunch and swimming a number of times. You can grab a spot on the beach just down the beach southwest of the resort where it is public. This can be accessed off tribe road There may be someone renting chairs in this area. We stop at the store before going and fill our portable cooler. The prices at Elbow are ridiculous, but we usually grab some lunch in order to use the bathrooms. Nice place - but not for everyone.

Curious why its not for everyone and we would be taking the bus

I think the poster was referring to the Elbow Beach Hotel as not being for everyone, not the beach itself.

You have to keep in mind that Elbow Beach has a public section, and a section that has chairs, loungers, etc. reserved for guests of the Elbow Beach Hotel only. You won't be able to use the hotel's facilities unless you're staying at the hotel or paying for a guest day pass to use the hotel facilities.

There have been chair rentals available on the public beach section in the past, but there's no guarantee that there will rentals available on whatever day you're there.

If you're in Bermuda on a ship berthed at the Dockyard, you would take the number 7 bus to travel to and from Elbow Beach. If you're coming from Hamilton, you can take either the #2 or #7. If you're based at Dockyard you can also take the ferry To Hamilton and then take a #2 or #7 to Elbow Beach.

Correct NJhorseman- Elbow beach resort may not be for everyone. Room rates are $700 per night and lunch will run about $50 a person. I'm sure most of the patrons would prefer to not have a large group of cruisers taking over the resort. Regardless - I still love going there every time I'm in Bermuda

The beach is wonderful both at the private resort and the public area about 100 yards away.

I think the poster was referring to the Elbow Beach Hotel as not being for everyone, not the beach itself.

You have to keep in mind that Elbow Beach has a public section, and a section that has chairs, loungers, etc. reserved for guests of the Elbow Beach Hotel only. You won't be able to use the hotel's facilities unless you're staying at the hotel or paying for a guest day pass to use the hotel facilities.

There have been chair rentals available on the public beach section in the past, but there's no guarantee that there will rentals available on whatever day you're there.

If you're in Bermuda on a ship berthed at the Dockyard, you would take the number 7 bus to travel to and from Elbow Beach. If you're coming from Hamilton, you can take either the #2 or #7. If you're based at Dockyard you can also take the ferry To Hamilton and then take a #2 or #7 to Elbow Beach.

Thank you for the input and interesting that chairs may not be available, I guess we may not take the chance and just do Horseshoe both days

• 5 weeks later...
Thank you so it seems less time to just do the bus from dockyard rather than ferry and bus?

It depends on waiting time. I'd call it a draw...ferry and bus combo could be a couple of minutes faster if you walk quickly from the ferry terminal to the bus terminal in Hamilton and are lucky enough to catch a bus immediately.

We are traveling in a group of 10 to coco reef for day pass visit from the dockyard. Multi-generational group with the oldest in their 70s and less mobile. Would it be better for them if we take a cab from dock yard? I'm not a big fan of sitting on a bus for an hour. Would ferry to bus be better?

Wondering if cost for taxi divided amongst us would be less than ferry +bus.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are traveling in a group of 10 to coco reef for day pass visit from the dockyard. Multi-generational group with the oldest in their 70s and less mobile. Would it be better for them if we take a cab from dock yard? I'm not a big fan of sitting on a bus for an hour. Would ferry to bus be better?

I noticed that you mention that you are going with some that have mobility problems. I don't know if you are aware, but there are quite a few stairs to get down the various levels on the property to get to the beach. Even if you are going to sit by the pool there are stairs to navigate.

You certainly don't want to take the ferry to Hamilton and then the bus if you have people with mobility problems. There's about a 10 minute uphill walk to get from the ferry terminal in Hamilton to the bus terminal.

You'll need more than one taxi. They hold a maximum of 7 passengers. You might be able to find a mini bus at Dockyard that would take you, but there's no guarantee that one would be available at the time you need it. Taking two taxis will probably cost in the neighborhood of $100 in each direction...$200 round trip. Taking the bus will cost $40 in each direction (assuming you're using tokens rather than transportation passes or tickets), or about $80 round trip. As you can see the bus will be much cheaper.

Edited by njhorseman

I noticed that you mention that you are going with some that have mobility problems. I don't know if you are aware, but there are quite a few stairs to get down the various levels on the property to get to the beach. Even if you are going to sit by the pool there are stairs to navigate.

They can do stairs and walking fine, but I thought they might get warn out walking from bus to resort. A few folks mentioned there was a hill. Trying to maximize fun at resort vs. getting warn out traveling there. Thoughts?

We met my brother in Bermuda last Sunday, he was staying at the Coco Reef resort. We had fun, but I was not impressed with the resort. Because he was a guest at the hotel, we didn't have to pay the "day" fee. We took the bus, it was close to an hour. Long walk to the resort from the bus stop. We stopped off at the market down the street for drinks and snacks. Some of the stairs leading to the beach were rotted out and at the bottom of the railings they had towels wrapped in duck tape.

Very strong waves and riptides (not blaming the resort for that), but made it difficult to swim.