Dining for the Solo Traveler

go4ak

My first cruise on Princess I'd requested late traditional dining at a large table. I ended up at a table for 10 (or maybe 8, don't remember), with one other couple. The other people never showed up the entire week. I would have requested another table but the couple there were SO nice I would have felt bad for leaving them all alone so I just dealt with it.

My most recent cruise on Princess I decided on anytime dining to avoid what happened on the first cruise. I ended up meeting people from my roll call, and three couples traveling together invited me to eat with them three of the seven nights (including both formal nights) and I had an awesome time. The other nights I ate in a specialty restaurant, or the buffet, or had pizza.

With traditional dining, it's really a crapshoot. On some cruises I've had some really great tablemates as a solo. On others I've had to request to move because they were so bad.

And how can they tell if passengers are English speaking persons? :confused: All you do is hand them your card and answer "yes" or "no" to their question as to whether you'll share a table. The maitre d' may not remember who seemed to have a accent and who didn't when he seated them 10 mins. ago and even so, that doesn't tell him if you have command of the English language.

Presumably by engaging them in conversation but honestly I neither know nor care but after once having been sat with 3 other couples that spoke no English that's not going to happen again.