help deciding

kid98

Hi,

I am trying to decide what cruise would be the best for me and my family. We want to take it in 08 when our DD will be 3 and DS will be 7. After reading about Disney and Carnival I am confused. Which do most people say would be best for the money and the ages of the kids. Also inside room or outside?

Thank you so much !!!

Best for the money would be Carnival. But Disney is worth at least one try. Doing Carnival first, and then trying Disney, would be my suggestion, unless there are no problems with the funds.

We started our daughter out at 4, and has been on 5 cruises since. She says she loved them all!

The two products are vastly different; it's comparing apples to oranges. They are both wonderful! I've sailed Carnival 9 times and Disney twice (both ships). I loved them both and look forward to sailing them again. But it's really hard to compare them to each other.

What are you looking for in a cruise? Disney offers some of the best designed staterooms in the industry. Disney characters are quite accessible on board. Disney's themed restaurants and dining rotation are unique. Disney shows are all Disney - wonderful for the whole family and not a g-string in sight. But Disney fares are typically twice what you'd pay for the same cruise on Carnival.

Carnival is fun, light-hearted, casual cruising. It works for millions of people. Carnival is one of the best vacation values anywhere. Their children's programming does a great job. The entertainment is wonderful. But there isn't a single rodent in sight.

I think everyone so inclined should try Disney Cruise Line at least once, particularly if you have young children. And if you can do it in the slow season, you can get some great fares.

Inside or outside...depends on the price difference. The oceanview staterooms on Disney are better than the same on Carnival. Disney's windows are very large portholes, positioned in the sitting area of the staterooms. Carnival's are a bit smaller (as I recall) and over the bed. I'd be more inclined to recommend oceanview on Disney. But if you can spring for a balcony, all the better.

Janet

GottaLuvCruising,

I think you hit it when you said what are you looking for in a cruise. I really don't know. My main concern is that the kids have the best time possible. That is what I am really looking for!

With the children at ages 3 & 7, I'd recommend Disney. It is an experience the whole family will always remember. And the children are young enough to really enjoy the fantasy of Disney.

If you are comfortable pulling your 7-year-old out of school, book it when the discounts are available (Fall - non holiday weeks, or January). Please don't tell my sister the teacher that I said that. :)

If cost is an issue, book an inside. The oceanview is great, but you just don't spend that much time in the stateroom.

Carnival (and Royal Caribbean) also have great children's programming. But the magic of a Disney cruise would add another dimension and your kids are the perfect age.

Thanks so much, I was thinking Sept or Jan actually!! Do you know how the water and air temp are in Jan?

If it comes to money we will definetly do a inside room, hopefully we can do outside but we will not let that make or break the cruise!!

Archived