Staterooms on the 1st Deck and also the Rear of the Ship

Valley Girl of VA

I originally wanted a Cat. C or D, but they were booked for our preferred date.

(we only booked a few months ahead). The only categories that were left were lower level or the most expensive balconies.

We chose lower level and had no complaints whatsoever. The money saved will go for a future vacation. As others mentioned, you are so busy throughout the day, that there is really not much time spent in room.

The window is a decent size and we found the window shelf quite handy for extra storage.

Our midship room was very quiet. We never heard engine noise. (This was a brand new long ship) It is true that there is no elevator to the lower level.

Interesting info/perspective from the Viking rep that I spoke to yesterday in regard to room location for the Rhine Getaway itinerary. She said most of the actual cruising is after dark so little to see out the windows, if not cruising we could often be tied up alongside another ship, if not cruising we will likely be off the boat on land, if cruising during daylight hours she would recommend being up on the window enclosed or open air observation decks for the 360 degree view. I was expecting the rep would be promoting the more expensive, higher category rooms but it was the opposite. The lower category rooms with window also have larger square footage on the new long ships.

Interesting info/perspective from the Viking rep that I spoke to yesterday in regard to room location for the Rhine Getaway itinerary. She said most of the actual cruising is after dark so little to see out the windows, if not cruising we could often be tied up alongside another ship, if not cruising we will likely be off the boat on land, if cruising during daylight hours she would recommend being up on the window enclosed or open air observation decks for the 360 degree view. I was expecting the rep would be promoting the more expensive, higher category rooms but it was the opposite. The lower category rooms with window also have larger square footage on the new long ships.

Hi Betty - Good to know that the Viking reps are being so up-front about "rafting" (tying up next to another boat).

We travelled Aquarium class when we did our Viking cruise last year - and were very happy with our choice. In fact, the staircase to get to the lower level on the new longships is the "best" of any we have seen so far.

I was quite surprised when I noticed that the lower level rooms have more square footage that the French balcony rooms. The main corridor is off centre on the longships, as the rooms with an actual balcony are larger, requiring that the corridor gets pushed out a bit. The balcony rooms are also more money - and we have not found it is worth the extra for us.

Did you book Aquarium class??

Fran

Edited by franski

Hi Betty - Good to know that the Viking reps are being so up-front about "rafting" (tying up next to another boat).

We traveled Aquarium class when we did our Viking cruise last year - and were very happy with our choice. In fact, the staircase to get to the lower level on the new long ships is the "best" of any we have seen so far.

I was quite surprised when I noticed that the lower level rooms have more square footage that the French balcony rooms. The main corridor is off centre on the long ships, as the rooms with an actual balcony are larger, requiring that the corridor gets pushed out a bit. The balcony rooms are also more money - and we have not found it is worth the extra for us.

Did you book Aquarium class??

Fran

Yes we booked Aquarium Class on Viking Idi for end of summer 2015. The windows will be enough for us given the limited time that we will spend in our room. I had also read somewhere from other cruisers that we may get treated to having swans swim up to our window at eye level. That would be special! Also happy to spend our savings on other parts of the trip. Managed to get full payment deferred until next year and still have the early booking and new referral discounts. Thanks for the referral!