Can't find birth certificate!

jcpc

A friend and his family are sailing on the Dawn from NY tomorrow. He cannot find his son's birth certificate....his son is 18....he has his driver's license, social security card, etc. etc. but cannot find his birth certificate anywhere in the house.

He called NCL who gave him an emergency number for Immigration - but he had to leave a voice mail message. Hopefully, he'll get a return call in the morning.

Has anyone ever showed up at the pier without proper documentation and been allowed to board?

I wish them luck but, to answer your question, I doubt if the son will be allowed to board without Proof of Citizenship, which is typically a birth certificate. NCL's web site lists the following as acceptable forms of Proof of Citizenship. Does the son have any of the following:

PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP consists of one of the following:

Valid or recently expired passport (preferred)

Original or state certified copy of a birth certificate (photocopies are not accepted)

Certificate of Naturalization

Certificate of Citizenship

Report of a Birth Abroad

A friend and his family are sailing on the Dawn from NY tomorrow. He cannot find his son's birth certificate....his son is 18....he has his driver's license, social security card, etc. etc. but cannot find his birth certificate anywhere in the house.

He called NCL who gave him an emergency number for Immigration - but he had to leave a voice mail message. Hopefully, he'll get a return call in the morning.

Has anyone ever showed up at the pier without proper documentation and been allowed to board?

You can't get a passport without a birth certificate. and you can't get on the ship without a birth certificate or a passport. The 18 year old will have to stay home. They used to allow an affidavit but no longer since 911-look again!

Was he born in a small town in CT? Call the emergency number for the town clerk and hope they will come in and issue one in the am. If you can't find an emergency number call the local PD and hope they can persuade them to come in. Small towns will do things large ones won't.

Since he is travelling with his parents they may be able to get a noterized document that indicates he is their son and a citizen. That was posted a week ago or so from a family going on the Star.

There is risk that he may not be alowed on the ship :o

Thanks for the quick feedback. I told him that I didn't think his son would be allowed to board the ship. I guess he and his wife will be tearing the house apart tonight looking for that birth certificate!

I am so bad about getting things ready ahead of time....I already have a folder set up with our passports...birth certificates...whatever we need. There are 5 of us and I have a file set up for each of us..and we arent sailing until August 28th!!

Patty

I am so bad about getting things ready ahead of time....I already have a folder set up with our passports...birth certificates...whatever we need. There are 5 of us and I have a file set up for each of us..and we arent sailing until August 28th!!

Patty

So, why do you say you're "so bad" - sounds like you're doing everything right and it's still 4 weeks away.

Justaknucklehead - I thought the exact same thing....I can't believe they waited until tonight to get all that paperwork together either!!!

smeyer418 - Unfortunately, the small town thing doesn't work in this instance. We live in one of the larger cities in CT. It's a zoo when you go to city hall during regular business hours, let alone trying to get in touch with a city official on a Sunday.

Justaknucklehead - I thought the exact same thing....I can't believe they waited until tonight to get all that paperwork together either!!!

smeyer418 - Unfortunately, the small town thing doesn't work in this instance. We live in one of the larger cities in CT. It's a zoo when you go to city hall during regular business hours, let alone trying to get in touch with a city official on a Sunday.

Call the police department tomorrow am and tell them the problem and ask if they have someone they can call. I guarantee you this has happened before.

PS don't call 911 call and ask for the officer on duty....and beg allot.

smeyer418 - I just called them and told them to try to get in touch with someone at the police department early tomorrow morning. I don't think that will help much (as a matter of fact today when I was getting my hair cut there was a "disturbance", i.e. panhandler, in the parking lot and the receptionist called the police because this woman was disturbing anyone walking in and out of the salon and I left almost an hour after she called and the police didn't even show up!...sorry, too much information).

In any event, I passed this suggestion along. And by the way, didn't you used to post on the Celebrity boards and didn't you have a cute little hat for an avatar?

Not that I know of. Must be a different CT than I am used to. I live in NYC but had a summer house just north of new haven(or is it east) In any case someone had a window broken in their car and two detectives from CT State Police came and knocked on all the neighbors doors and asked if they heard anything. In NYC then the police would have laughed said come to the preceint and make a report. Now when this happens in NYC they increase the patrols knock on the doors and ask if anyone has a video.

I do post occassionally on celebrity....but no avatar.

It's late, might miss this...but, is it possible to call the hospital he was born in to get a record from them? They are usually open 24 hours. Except the one I was born in, closed :( Just a thought, will cross my fingers for them. I am like Pathubia-have one folder for the ship documents, certificates, marriage license and then another folder for all the info on Bermuda. Even put my address labels on the folders in case they go missing. all my best to that family.

I would be absolutely frantic if I had allowed something like this to happen to us! Hopefully they will find the document and everything will be fine. From now on, they need to keep all important documents in one place, the same place, all the time.

Do they have a baby book with his hospital certificate? I know they say they are not allowed, but someone who posted here used one a few weeks ago. I would also take along every piece of ID he has, school ID, driver license, any work ID he might have, any type of legal document he may have to prove identity.

I wish your friends luck!

I would also take along every piece of ID he has, school ID, driver license, any work ID he might have, any type of legal document he may have to prove identity.

It's worth a shot, but remember: he HAS his driver's license, so he CAN prove his identity. It's his citizenship that he needs to document.

Another argument for a passport.

johnql, I could not agree more. The worst part of the story is, why in the world did they wait until the day before leaving to gather their documentation together? People just astonish me sometimes, but I do wish them well.

Pathubia, you're not alone! Prior to our first cruise I just about lost my mind contacting the vital records departments of four states in order to procure all our birth certificates. When our cruise tickets arrived in that great little plastic envelope, I added all four birth certificates immediately. Since then, those certificates, along with my marriage license and my military documentation have all resided in that wonderful little plastic envelope.

Subsequent cruises netted additional plastic envelopes which have been placed into service for insurance policies, stock and bond certificates, and other important papers.

I know where they are at all times, and can place my hands on them in two seconds. Soon, our passports will be added, and I'll always know where they are, too.

If some think I'm obsessive than so be it. I call it being prepared. :D

I sure hope they locate a certificate for that young man so that family can take their trip today!!!!!!!!!

I am like Pathubia-have one folder for the ship documents, certificates, marriage license and then another folder for all the info on Bermuda. Even put my address labels on the folders in case they go missing.

I have a separate folder for everyone going on our upcoming cruise plus one for the excursions and activities. The only thing I need to add are the final excursion comfirmations that I'll get the week just before we travel.

Great idea about the labels. I've just done that to the folders! Thanks!

Thanks for the quick feedback. I told him that I didn't think his son would be allowed to board the ship. I guess he and his wife will be tearing the house apart tonight looking for that birth certificate!

Let us know what happens! Did the son get to go on the cruise or not? It's a good lesson for all of us cruisers to make sure we have all the required documentation way ahead of cruise day!

And, since no one else has mentioned it, also a good idea to start the passport process NOW before the rates go up (unless they already have) as they will be REQUIRED in the near future, when even a birth certificate will do you no good, and then to keep the passport somewhere safe and handy so no franticness at the end.

by the way, hi smeyer!

Patty

I'm the same way..Have folders set up for both our cruises NCL in Nov. & HAL next April; had our passport's renewed in May; Paid our final payment two weeks ago for the Nov.cruise, entered the pre-boarding info on line for NCL...Made arrangements to have our dog sitter for both Nov. & April.. Already have the e-Mail confirmation from the Brazillian Consulate about using the Visas in our expired passport for our trip next April..

Now have started looking at all the Med's we'll need for the Nov. cruise & noting the ordering dates with our Mail -order pharmacy.. Started to compile our list of clothing, meds, etc. will need for the Nov.Cruise.

Only problem is I get everything finished so early & then can't wait till "D" Day..The month before the cruise, takes the longest to go by:( ..My DH on the other hand waits till the last minute to do everything & drives me nuts..;)

Archived