Verizon Cell Phone Service??

Funcouple

I just called verizon the other day, you have to sign up for "I Dial" (it's free) then you have to update your phone by *228, you then have to update the phone again when you get on the ship in port before you leave the states. your phone will then work in Bermuda. It will cost 69 cents per minute. The minutes used will also be a part of your monthy allowance. Hope this helps!

its .69 as roaming minutes doesn't count towards your free allowance. I know I have the bills to prove it. *228 just makes sure your phone is up to date programed which should be done every couple of months anyway.

its .69 as roaming minutes doesn't count towards your free allowance. I know I have the bills to prove it. *228 just makes sure your phone is up to date programed which should be done every couple of months anyway.

I was just relaying what I was told from the Verizon rep. yesterday. Hopefully you are right or maybe they changed it.

I have Verizon and have used it in Bermuda for the past three years. Yes, it is $.69 per minute PLUS a service fee from the provider picking up the signal.

International Roaming - Bermuda

Per Minute Rate

Voice Calls are $0.69 per minute (may be higher for some calling plans). Long distance charges, toll charges, taxes and surcharges may also apply.

City Listing

Hamilton

Service is not available in all areas. Rates vary by Calling Plan. If not included in Home Airtime rate, generally 69¢/min. (may be higher for some Calling Plans) plus pass-through of serving carrier’s long distance charges, taxes and surcharges. See your sales representative for details.

Click here: Pricing and Dialing Instructions

I called Verizon myself and I was told that it would be roaming at 69 cents per minute. Plus they told me that it would also include any fees and taxes from the carrier itself in Bermuda and that would appear on your bill when you got home as well. SOunds expensive to use the phone there. Even if you a family share program and called each other it would still be roaming and 69 cents.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone gone with walkie talkies - how far do they work?

I don't see this as expensive compared to the ship. I use it sparingly. As I said I have been in Bermuda and all I paid was the.69 per minute. Yes its not that cheap as when I call in the US. Its a small island and walkie talkies will work(not the one built into your celphone however).

Well, Verizon .69/minute plus roaming fees from the provider in Bermuda sound reasonable for emergencies.

I just want to be able to RECEIVE calls if there's an emergency at home. Sounds like Verizon is a great solution.

Any comments?

Hmmm. I just spoke with Verizon this morning. The person I spoke with said

that there would be NO Verizon service on the ship or in Bermuda!

I'm giving family the NCL emergency number and otherwise assuming I will be unreachable for the 7 days.

Yes as long as it is on they can dial you and it will ring just as it normally does. They will pay whatever it costs to dial to your normal US number. You will pay the extra roaming charges for the call. Note that if you phone is on and it rings you may still be charged a minute. If you don't want to accept calls turn the phone off. You can get voice mail but you will pay roaming fees to download them in Bermuda. The caller won't pay anything more, but you will. Remember unlike you land line phone a cell phone charges for both incoming and outgoing calls(although many plan have free incoming calls they are still charged for when roaming)

Everything smeyers says is absolutely true. We have been using Verizon in Bermuda on cruises for 2 years. We have loaned our phones to several people who had no service thru other companies. We called my elderly mother every day and found the service better than at home and at a very reasonable rate (especially compared to ships rates) and the convenience of not having to find a pay phone was well worth the rates.

• 2 weeks later...
I just called verizon the other day, you have to sign up for "I Dial" (it's free) then you have to update your phone by *228, you then have to update the phone again when you get on the ship in port before you leave the states. your phone will then work in Bermuda. It will cost 69 cents per minute. The minutes used will also be a part of your monthy allowance. Hope this helps!

I used my verizon cell last month in Bermuda. I was told I had to do all that well and I don't think you really have to since my friend didn't and his phone worked fine there.

I could call out fine. I just couldn't send texts or pictures.

Just got my Bill from Verizon for Bermuda. Yes Verizon said it was $.69 a minute and then with fees added, it actully worked out to almost $1.29 for calling a land line phone (.69 + .60 fee) a minute unless you are calling another Verizon Cell that is in Bermuda, then it is $.69.

Just got back from there Sat. and my phone worked fine with no preparations and no signing up. Only talked on it 3 times -- once b/c my nephew called, the other calls I made. It also worked well for a good while after we sailed away from Bermuda.

Archived