"self serve" wine dispensers question

likestorelax

I have seen pictures and videos of people serving themselves from wine dispensers in some sort of bar. How does this work? How do you get charged for the wine you drink? Is it included in any of the drink packages?

Thoes pictures will soon be removed, as the machines are being removed at the present time. And no, they were not included in any pkg.

the wines served from the dispensers in cellar masters is not part of the drink packages. You buy a separate drink card in increments of 50 or 100 dollars that is charged to your sea pass card. Sounds like these are being phased out due to lack of sales if you read some of the threads. There are sommeliers in the cellar master area, who willget you wines by the glass on the menu. These fall in to the drink package category and those rules apply.

thanks for the info. I am upgrading to the premium bev. package and was looking forward to being able to sample different wines. It is good to know it isn't included in the package and if they are being removed I won't waste my time looking for them. Still looking forward to having a good glass of wine with dinner.

thanks for the info. I am upgrading to the premium bev. package and was looking forward to being able to sample different wines. It is good to know it isn't included in the package and if they are being removed I won't waste my time looking for them. Still looking forward to having a good glass of wine with dinner.

We upgraded last year as the wifester really likes her reds!:) And the Prem offered her some very nice choices.

The machines not only serve as dispensers, "pouring" servings of 1, 2.5 and 5 ounces, but they replace the liquid in the bottles with nitrogen gas, which is inert, and prevents the wine from oxidizing. As such, an "open" bottle will last much longer, up to 2 weeks I think.

And so partly as a result, the wines in the machines were of higher quality (and price, of course) than anything you could get with the drink package. Generally $15-40 for a full glass worth. And having the ability to order a taste (1 oz.) or half-glass (2.5 oz.) lets you try some nice and interesting wines.

Presumably usage was limited because everyone and their mother was on a drink package already from the promotions. But perhaps there also just isn't that much demand for wines at that price level, even if you can get a small taste of Opus One for $9 (which retails for > $200/bottle).

Also, most of the whites on my cruise were not sufficiently cold, and the reds weren't chilled at all. I'm not paying up for such good quality wines if they're not going to be served at the proper temperature! (55-65 degrees F).

Edited by gordiej

We were in Cellar Masters nearly every night pre-dinner and on many nights late in the evening on a 17-night Solstice cruise, and did not see anyone use the dispensers during this time.

We were in Cellar Masters nearly every night pre-dinner and on many nights late in the evening on a 17-night Solstice cruise, and did not see anyone use the dispensers during this time.

I used them once. It took 3 tries to get my glass of wine. Then I looked at my bill. I had to have 2 removed because the wine never came out, but I was charged. I never used them again. Richard

On our Summit cruise in 2013, we didn't use these dispensers but didn't see anyone else use them either. We were very certain they'd be replaced by the time of our 2014 Summit cruise - but alas they were still there. Although about half the dispensers didn't have a bottle at all. I imagine by the time we are on our 2015 Summit cruise, they will be gone altogether - perhaps replaced by something else. I am very interested in the conversion on the Equinox to a sports bar. Makes sense to have a place for speciality/craft beers since Michael's is now becoming a VIP lounge. There should be a place to get some different beers.