Booking a back-to-back while on board?

seaotter15

Here is a scenario my husband just thought of, and I thought I would ask if anyone has ever done this. If yes, what advice can you give us?

*** You are on a 7-day cruise,and on day 5 or so you go to the guest services / reservation desk and ask, "Do you have any cabins available for the very next cruise, i.e. we stay on ship for another week?"***

Thank you for any/all advice!

Anything is possible but you'll get a very poor cabin or a very expensive one. Neither will be highly discounted . Most ships run at over 100% passenger capacity.

First, DCL ships are NEVER oversold. They will oversell a particular category, meaning that some people will be upgraded...but never the whole ship. I can't address policies on other lines. Secondly, what you will get depends totally on what is available. We've been on cruises where they advertised the ability to stay on for the next cruise at an excellent price. If you had done your air thru DCL, they would even re-arrange the air for you at no additional cost.

We were also on one cruise where many people asked about staying on as there were major issues with flights home. They sold out the ship, which had not been full before the flight issues. As to cost--it was the going, on line fare less 10% for on board rebooking. They did not price gouge people!

I am aware in the past of two cruises being oversold, not sure if they have changed policy but I haven't become aware of any real recent cases. There was a Christmas cruise, where cruisers were contacted a few days before with an offer to be bumped, refused, then a bit later contacted again, and the offer was to swap to WDW for Christmas and cruise NY and the cruise I think cost either just 25% or was free! and free WDW tickets with upgrade in hotel, ( that doesn't cost Disney anything bar less income but if the room was empty) There was a Panama cruise which was oversold and people were due to be bumped but near PIF many cancelled. If they oversell it's like airlines they work to a natural percentage of people who will cancel or can't travel. They do it well. ( or get people sneezing on embarkation and stop them cruising, - that's a joke)

When people say DCL ships run over 100% capacity that is true as 100% is based on two people in each room, do 3rd and4th persons take the ship over capacity. The old ships official figures are circa 2400/2500 but actually take 2700 with 3/4th person in rooms.

Dream often runs circa 125% of official capacity.

Sent from my iPad.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

When people say DCL ships run over 100% capacity that is true as 100% is based on two people in each room, do 3rd and4th persons take the ship over capacity. The old ships official figures are circa 2400/2500 but actually take 2700 with 3/4th person in rooms.

Dream often runs circa 125% of official capacity.

True, provided that you use the 2 people per cabin as the method for determining 100% capacity. Keep in mind that by this definition, the ship can be 100% booked and still have many empty cabins! A cabin booked for 4 people would allow the next cabin to be empty and still meed the 100% mark.

Defining 100% at 2 people per cabin is cruise line "double talk."

I always laugh a little when I hear the Magic called "100% booked" at 2500 passengers since I have been on at least one cruise that was at 2700.

From the standpoint of ability to book a cruise, the ship is full when nearly every cabin is sold (they typically hold back a very few cabins in the event of a non-repairable situation in a booked guest cabin).

Yes, it was in the Navigator. It was on a Med cruise...and the announcement was something like "Having a great time? Want to stay on board for the next cruise? See future cruise desk for some great offers." We said something at GS about how great it sounded but we already had a flight home booked; they replied that if it was booked thru DCL, they would re-work our flight arrangements at no additional cost. Unfortunately, we had booked flights ourselves.