Hobbiton

dfb

Has anyone been to Hobbiton from Tauranga? We will be there on a Sunday from 10am to 8pm. Will this make any difference? Did you book in advance? With whom? Is it possible to join a tour from the pier or I-Site without pre-booking? Lots of questions... Any information from past cruisers who visited Hobbit from Tauranga will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Since no one has answered, I will give it a go.

Personally I would prearrange a tour.

Hobbiton is a place that must be visited on a tour (I.e. You can't just pay an entry fee and walk around on your own) and there are only a certain number of tours per day. I doubt Hobbiton would be fully booked out, but who knows. If it's important to you, I would want to know I'm booked in advance.

Secondly, since it's a fair distance from Tauranga to Matamata, make sure the company you go with is known and reputable.

Lastly, NZ is not like the ports of somewhere such as the Caribbean with multiple ships coming in everyday. You may find a few last minute tours on offer if you wait until you disembark the ship, but you may also find nothing on offer (or at least nothing that interests you).

Once again, I would air on the side of caution and book tours in advance.

Definitely go to Hobbiton. It is brilliant. You walk around among the houses. The Green Dragon is now a working pub.

It's a very easy drive if you are willing to hire a car. Then you call into town and buy your tickets for the bus that takes you onto the property and into Hobbiton. There is a coffee shop to wait at if you arrive a bit before your allotted time.

Sorry - cannot help about bus tours from the pier....but search it out and make it happen.

If you take a car you will have plenty of time to do another activity such as the thermal pool including a mud bath.

Raina

Thanks for the advice. Still wondering if any one who has been and toured Hobbiton from the Tauranga pier has a recommendation? There are many providers here and a range of prices and options, so it is hard to pick one and know I made the right choice. Anyone have a recommendation to make?

Thanks for the advice. Still wondering if any one who has been and toured Hobbiton from the Tauranga pier has a recommendation? There are many providers here and a range of prices and options, so it is hard to pick one and know I made the right choice. Anyone have a recommendation to make?

Hi DFB

We have cruised to NZ 3 times and are planning our next one on Solstice fr December this year.

One company I have used, and highly recommend for their professionalism, is Shore Trips and Tours. They are based in Tauranga, but service all ports visited by the cruise ships.

They have a tour that does Hobbiton, and I am considering it myself.

Have a look here: https://www.shoretripsandtours.com/Product/Hobbiton%20Express%20-%20LOTR-Hobbit%20Movie%20Set.php

There are others (some that are cheaper) but this mob will not let you down

cheers

• 1 month later...

we are doing NZ at xmas, very interested in opinions on hobbiton and also getting there. We may have 2 small kids (3 and 1) with us if they do not stay on the ship with the inlaws. Does anyone know if the tour buses need car seats?