Ulitmate Dining Plan

baflagg

I know this topic has been brought up many times and I've searched through the various posts but can't seem to find where anyone has posted their experience with purchasing the UDP.

We are going to book the Breakaway next summer for an anniversary cruise and are looking into purchasing the UDP. We are not 100% sure on this as we don't know if we want to have to worry about a specific dining time each night or just eat when we are ready.

For those that did purchase this did you need to make a reservation each night or were there any nights were you just went to where you wanted then were put on a wait list. We have no problem sitting at the bar for a drink while we wait for a table just not sure that is even an option if the specialty restaurants are booked up each night.

Thanks

The UDP essentially covers your PAYMENT of dining... it doesn't necessarily guarantee seating availability to you. You would reserve or show up to what is available like other passengers. Suites guests are a little different, as the concierge can usually make full restaurants available...

Whether in a suite or balcony, we have never been turned away from a specialty restaurant either with or without reservations. At worst, we have waited 10 minutes or so for a table to free up. The only place reservations are difficult to get is Teppenyaki.

The UDP essentially covers your PAYMENT of dining... it doesn't necessarily guarantee seating availability to you. You would reserve or show up to what is available like other passengers. Suites guests are a little different, as the concierge can usually make full restaurants available...

Actually, UDP does guarantee seating, it does not guarantee seating when you may want it unless you reserve a spot. So you may wish to dine at say Cagney's, you will get a seat but you may show up at 1900 and not get seated until 2100.

I think probably a little flexibility will do the trick in getting you seated whenever you choose, plus you'll find that in most cases you'll be able to make reservations the morning of, so I wouldn't stress over it.

You'll also be able see on the screens near all the restaurant venues, how the seatings are trending, in other words if Cagneys is filling up, you may want to try Moderno's or La Cucina or just wait a little bit... they won't all be full at the same time.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise :)

So can you clarify something, if you pay 119 for a 7 day does that mean you only pay 119 and can go in to any restaurant but not pay anything else for the restaurants for the duration of the cruise ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had the ultimate dining plan n the Breakaway in March, and never had a problem. Some nights, I had reservations, others I didn't.

The only time I had a problem, and it was a minor one at best, was a night that, because I'd eaten a late lunch, I wasn't hungry when the time for my dinner reservation at Cagney's rolled around. I went to the restaurant and told them I wasn't going to be showing up, asked if I could maybe move my reservation to later in the evening. The hostess couldn't guarantee me a time, but said I should just return. I did, around 8:30, and wound up having about a 10 minutes wait before getting a table. Like I said, not really a problem at all. I had a drink at the bar just outside Cagney's, and a lovely conversation with the bartender!

Richard/Tralfie

So can you clarify something, if you pay 119 for a 7 day does that mean you only pay 119 and can go in to any restaurant but not pay anything else for the restaurants for the duration of the cruise ?

That's how it's been explained to me!

7 evenings of specialty restaurants - of your choice (except Ocean Blue and the ala carte ones). You could do Cagney's every night or a different restaurant every night and it's all covered under your $119.00/pp. ;)

I have even seen posts that some are doing a specialty restaurant the first night and then the later (Cirque) dinner show and both are included in the UDP. They explained that they are taking advantage of the first night inclusion of Cirque with the UDP and would prefer to eat elsewhere. So, technically that is two "dinners" that first night - both covered under the UDP.

The Cirque dinner is NOT included. I think where the confusion has come in is that a lot of people buy the Cirque show, but don't actually eat the dinner there (because the food is pedestrian at best). They then go to a specialty restaurant afterwards.

You can go do a different specialty restaurant every night... or you can go to the same one every night. During my week on the Breakaway, I did Cagneys 3 nights during the trip. You could also go to, say, Le Bistro for dinner, and then go to Cagney's just for dessert, if you wanted to. Or you could go to two different places for dinner on the same night if you really had that big an appetite!

Richard/Tralfie

The Cirque dinner is NOT included. I think where the confusion has come in is that a lot of people buy the Cirque show, but don't actually eat the dinner there (because the food is pedestrian at best). They then go to a specialty restaurant afterwards.

You can go do a different specialty restaurant every night... or you can go to the same one every night. During my week on the Breakaway, I did Cagneys 3 nights during the trip. You could also go to, say, Le Bistro for dinner, and then go to Cagney's just for dessert, if you wanted to. Or you could go to two different places for dinner on the same night if you really had that big an appetite!

Richard/Tralfie

No...I am NOT mistaken.

From www.ncl.com here is the description of the UDP - which clearly states that the FIRST night the Cirque/Illusionarium show (depending on the ship) is included at no additional costs for those opting for the UDP.

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/gifts-and-more#diningpackage

I think it changed the same time as when they began offering the $20. discount to Platinum Latitude members since they won't be using the UDP one night while they are using their dinner for 2 at LeBistro and a bottle of wine. They are both really recent but welcome changes to the UDP.

I think it changed the same time as when they began offering the $20. discount to Platinum Latitude members since they won't be using the UDP one night while they are using their dinner for 2 at LeBistro and a bottle of wine. They are both really recent but welcome changes to the UDP.

Yep...I think you're right!

As far as food goes (and certain restaurants are not included in UDP), everything is covered (even the $10 extra dishes in La Bistro are covered at no additional charge). Cocktails, beer (any alcohol as such), and sodas are not included (just as they would not be included if you paid $30 for Cagney's itself for dinner).

I purchased the udp for my upcoming bermuda on breakaway trip. I was told any items with extra surcharge items is NOT covered. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not correct. In Le Bistro, the extra surcharge dishes ARE covered under UDP. Extra entrees in Cagney's and Le Bistro are not covered.

http://www.ncl.com/terms/shorex-dining-entertainment-spa#dining

I purchased the udp for my upcoming bermuda on breakaway trip. I was told any items with extra surcharge items is NOT covered. Is that correct?

Told by who? An NCL phone rep? Sounds about right.

Extra surcharge items ARE covered. Extra entrees you have to pay for, which makes no sense since you can eat in as many specialty restaurants each night as you want.

Yes it was an ncl rep that said extra surcharge items are not covered on the udp. She also said only cagneys and le bistro had extra charge items. Thanks for clarifying that is good to know. Do we get 20% off in places like Carlos bakery or Shanghai?

Yes it was an ncl rep that said extra surcharge items are not covered on the udp. She also said only cagneys and le bistro had extra charge items. Thanks for clarifying that is good to know. Do we get 20% off in places like Carlos bakery or Shanghai?

I'm confused... What would be an example of something that would have an extra surcharge?

http://www.ncl.com/terms/shorex-dining-entertainment-spa#dining

Ultimate Dining Package

The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bakery items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, 24/7 Pizza Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.