Just back from Post-Noro Indy 6 Day – Some Random Points

KMagz

Not going to do a full blown review but here are some general points / observations.

It was a wonderful cruise. Independence of the Seas is in incredible shape. If you told me this was its maiden voyage I would believe you. Only areas I saw some wear? Some rust on the hull near the anchor – which the crew painted one day in port. And our balcony railings needed varnish – which (you guessed it) was re-varnished one day while we were in port.

Norovirus concerns: Our sailing was the one immediately AFTER a Noro outbreak. Boarding was delayed until 1:30 PM or so (just like RCCL said it would be.) Staterooms were not ready until 3:30 PM. But we were allowed to serve ourselves in the WindJammer. Sprinkles frozen yogurt was not available until about Day 4 or 5. Hot dogs were not available at The Squeeze Bar until day 5. I heard of NO outbreaks. Good job crew and passengers!

By the way is there alcohol in Purell hand sanitizer? If so I may need to check my hands into a 12-Step Program. :) There were Purell dispensers EVERYWHERE and crew members are quite the enforcers. Again, excellent job.

Shows: The ice show (“Freeze Frame”) on Indy was our favorite of all the RCCL ice shows we’ve seen. (Been on 6 other ships with ice shows including Oasis & Allure.) In the main theater they premiered a new production show – called “Center Stage” (I think) -- our last night of the cruise. It is EXCELLENT. They essentially combine all the musicians on the ship in the orchestra (including the Latin band, string players, pianist) along with singing and dancing, an acrobat, great music choices, wonderful set/lighting/sound. It had one or two slow spots but otherwise was high energy entertainment.

Special mention for “Rock The Boat” a classic rock band (usually in the lounge on Deck 5.) These guys are GREAT. Check them out if you’re a classic rock fan. Musicians in general around this ship are outstanding.

I recall a few threads several months ago concerning poor crew attitude or general ‘funk’ on Indy. Now that I’m back I can say… WHAT? The only funk I experienced was in the Royal Promenade during the 70’s Dance party. :) Wonderful, wonderful crew! The equal of any other RCCL ship.

Ports: Just walked around a bit in Grand Cayman. In Jamaica we hired a private tour through knowjamaica.com (look them up on tripadvisor.) HIGHLY recommended. Did Dunn’s River Falls, the Blue Hole, had lunch (Jamaican beef patties!) and even stopped at a supermarket for some non-tourist pricing on coffee beans. We were the first ones to the Falls and first ones to The Blue Hole. We also really enjoyed Labadee. So much more developed than the last time we were there. Got a kick out of the welcome party as Indy docked -- (Jetskis, boats, parasail, whistles, banners, flags, etc… circling the ship. Lots of fun.) We did the JetSki tour and some in our party did the ZipLine. By the way, the ZipLine may be the most expensive 45 seconds of your life not counting lap dances.

Random Stuff: We did not eat in any specialty restaurants. WindJammer and MDR were as expected. Nothing over-the-top outstanding, nor nothing terrible. Mike Hunnerup was our fill-in cruise director. (Don’t quote me on the spelling.) He did a good job. I’ve give him a “B.” Scary page broadcast around the entire ship at 3:30 AM one morning asking two passengers to please contact guest services immediately. Betting there was a curfew infraction -- hoping all turned out OK with that and that they're not grounded for, say, the rest of their teenage years.

I know this is really just a summary but thought some CC readers may find it useful. This was a stellar cruise – would sail on Indy without a second thought.

And our balcony railings needed varnish – which (you guessed it) was re-varnished one day while we were in port.

Norovirus concerns: Our sailing was the one immediately AFTER a Noro outbreak.

I've read that the chemicals they use to spray the ship down post-Noro will take the varnish off. Could be why the railings were redone during your cruise!

We are boarding Sunday for the TA. So glad to know Noro is not lingering. Now if everyone boarding is healthy . . . :eek:

Enjoy! Saw some incredible rates on the TA. So tempting! But then there's that whole work thing. :(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by KMagz

We were also on this cruise and I agree with the op. Excellent service and we had a great time. The food in the mdr we found to be excellent and always at the right temperature. And to top it all off we even got an upgrade cabin at the port! Wish we were still on The Indy. Great ship and crew.

Can we tip freely and generously on our own, or are we in that prepaid tipping thing? I'd like to stick my MDR waiters bundles of single dollar bills to make it more fun, but if we are on that forced prepaid tipping plan, then all the fun is gone...

What are some of your experiences with tipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not going to do a full blown review but here are some general points / observations.

It was a wonderful cruise. Independence of the Seas is in incredible shape. If you told me this was its maiden voyage I would believe you. Only areas I saw some wear? Some rust on the hull near the anchor – which the crew painted one day in port. And our balcony railings needed varnish – which (you guessed it) was re-varnished one day while we were in port.

Norovirus concerns: Our sailing was the one immediately AFTER a Noro outbreak. Boarding was delayed until 1:30 PM or so (just like RCCL said it would be.) Staterooms were not ready until 3:30 PM. But we were allowed to serve ourselves in the WindJammer. Sprinkles frozen yogurt was not available until about Day 4 or 5. Hot dogs were not available at The Squeeze Bar until day 5. I heard of NO outbreaks. Good job crew and passengers!

By the way is there alcohol in Purell hand sanitizer? If so I may need to check my hands into a 12-Step Program. :) There were Purell dispensers EVERYWHERE and crew members are quite the enforcers. Again, excellent job.

Shows: The ice show (“Freeze Frame”) on Indy was our favorite of all the RCCL ice shows we’ve seen. (Been on 6 other ships with ice shows including Oasis & Allure.) In the main theater they premiered a new production show – called “Center Stage” (I think) -- our last night of the cruise. It is EXCELLENT. They essentially combine all the musicians on the ship in the orchestra (including the Latin band, string players, pianist) along with singing and dancing, an acrobat, great music choices, wonderful set/lighting/sound. It had one or two slow spots but otherwise was high energy entertainment.

Special mention for “Rock The Boat” a classic rock band (usually in the lounge on Deck 5.) These guys are GREAT. Check them out if you’re a classic rock fan. Musicians in general around this ship are outstanding.

I recall a few threads several months ago concerning poor crew attitude or general ‘funk’ on Indy. Now that I’m back I can say… WHAT? The only funk I experienced was in the Royal Promenade during the 70’s Dance party. :) Wonderful, wonderful crew! The equal of any other RCCL ship.

Ports: Just walked around a bit in Grand Cayman. In Jamaica we hired a private tour through knowjamaica.com (look them up on tripadvisor.) HIGHLY recommended. Did Dunn’s River Falls, the Blue Hole, had lunch (Jamaican beef patties!) and even stopped at a supermarket for some non-tourist pricing on coffee beans. We were the first ones to the Falls and first ones to The Blue Hole. We also really enjoyed Labadee. So much more developed than the last time we were there. Got a kick out of the welcome party as Indy docked -- (Jetskis, boats, parasail, whistles, banners, flags, etc… circling the ship. Lots of fun.) We did the JetSki tour and some in our party did the ZipLine. By the way, the ZipLine may be the most expensive 45 seconds of your life not counting lap dances.

Random Stuff: We did not eat in any specialty restaurants. WindJammer and MDR were as expected. Nothing over-the-top outstanding, nor nothing terrible. Mike Hunnerup was our fill-in cruise director. (Don’t quote me on the spelling.) He did a good job. I’ve give him a “B.” Scary page broadcast around the entire ship at 3:30 AM one morning asking two passengers to please contact guest services immediately. Betting there was a curfew infraction -- hoping all turned out OK with that and that they're not grounded for, say, the rest of their teenage years.

I know this is really just a summary but thought some CC readers may find it useful. This was a stellar cruise – would sail on Indy without a second thought.

Great review. We are on The Indy in July, Getting excited!!! Rock the Boat were on with us on our last Holiday on Indy, Enjoyed their music, glad there were no outbreaks and that you had a great time:D

Say, do you know if the soda plan comes with cans (coke) at the bar or room service, or just fountain drinks?

Soda plan was fountain drinks only.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Say, do you know if the soda plan comes with cans (coke) at the bar or room service, or just fountain drinks?

Thank you for helping out :)

Plus, no unlimited package covers drinks from room service.

Edited by clarea

We were on the 8 day "Noro" cruise before you. They said that there was over 400 people effected. No problem for us, but I don't think that I've washed my hands more in my life! I saw some of the reasons for the outbreak. I saw people picking up food with bare hands without using tongs,etc. I saw LOTS of bad manners in both Windjammer and MDR. There is actually a thread about this.

You are correct. The ship looked GREAT and the crew was so friendly. I don't understand the complaints that I've read. I guess that if you're nice to them, they will be nice to you...:)

Joe

Edited by MrCruzeaddict

We were on the 8 day "Noro" cruise before you. They said that there was over 400 people effected. No problem for us, but I don't think that I've washed my hands more in my life! I saw some of the reasons for the outbreak. I saw people picking up food with bare hands without using tongs,etc. ...

Joe

I saw on few occasions people using the tongs but then using their fingers to sample what they'd just put on their plates while still on line. And then continue to the next station. Defeats the whole purpose. :eek: (Guess waiting another 60 seconds until they completed the hunt for food was too much?)

So happy to hear that the ice show is amazing - one of the skaters at the rink my daughter skates out of is on the Indy (think she's back from injury now).

What I liked best about it is the musical selections. It's a walk through the decades of pop music (50's through 80's I think.) And of course the skating is great! I think I recognized one skater from another show on another ship. (A tall female from Canada I think.)

Superb little mini review

sometimes i like a little concise update like this as much as the glorious fully picture laden epics :)

one thing i was wondering if anyone knows

when it comes over here for the summer

do the staff change?

I am hoping that rock the boat are still there as really looking forward to seeing them

also if the staff stay the same can you give any info on what the nightly shows are?

would be good to have an idea of what to expect )

No idea if the shows will stay the same, but if they do, here's my favorites.

The Ice Show, of course.

The Headliner show was a black guy named Earl Turner. He was Great. Full of fun, and energy. He gets down and works in, and with, the audience also.

The Unexpected Boys, 4 guys do a tribute to Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons. They all had great voices, but the lead singer was fabulous. They do a lot of the great "old" songs.

We were also on this cruise and I agree with the op. Excellent service and we had a great time. The food in the mdr we found to be excellent and always at the right temperature. And to top it all off we even got an upgrade cabin at the port! Wish we were still on The Indy. Great ship and crew.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise.

Regarding getting an upgrade at the pier, was this a "free" upgrade and did they offer it up to you or did you inquire?

Superb little mini review

sometimes i like a little concise update like this as much as the glorious fully picture laden epics :)

one thing i was wondering if anyone knows

when it comes over here for the summer

do the staff change?

I am hoping that rock the boat are still there as really looking forward to seeing them

Our sailing was the LAST one for the Captain. He was taking over the virtually identical "Liberty Of The Seas" so not sure who your Captain will be once it's re-positioned. He was not too pleased with the move and ALLUDED to trying to get some key staff to move over with him so.....

As for "Rock The Boat" I'm betting they may be on the ship for a while. For what it's worth, they are a 4 piece band and the (SUPERB) guitarist and keyboard player spoke with British accents. (Or in your case, the drummer and the bass layer spoke with American accents.) :)

I was also on this cruise and had a great time. The Cruise Director, our cabin attendant and MDR staff all did do good jobs and tried hard. But Mike is far from the best CD I've sailed with. His morning show was pretty ordinary. And the cabin attendants and waiters were also far from the best we've had in the past. We've had some very bubbly attendants and waiters were fun to be around. The ones on this cruise weren't bubbly, but I have no complaints. I know there are a lot of cabin and MDR staff and you can't make any generalizations for the whole staffs.